SASS Wire Forum

Youth Gun Belt Advice, Please

Hey Folks - I am brand new to the game, and my 9 year old son wants to do this with me.  I'm struggling to find any decent quality leather belts out there for the buckaroos.  I'm not necessarily looking for competition-level stuff yet, but I also don't want "cap gun" plastic either.  I'm sure more than one of you has tackled this already, so any advice is welcomed.  I'll be outfitting him with either Ruger Wranglers (with lightened hammer springs!) or Bearcats, most likely.  Thanks all!

Reb

And if the boy is going to use .22s stock up deep whenever you can. We ran out of .22s one time during the Great Election Panic. I had Kaya try my .38s and I didn't get them back until they were wore out. ;) You have been warned!

ill second the tripple K recommendation , they grow out of them fast and you can pass them on or keep them for yourself later , but the investment is reasonable to start 

I just bought a new belt for everyday from Sportsmans Warehouse with a double tang. It has double holes all the way around to the buckle so would be easily adjustable as he goes through growth spurts. It is fairly substantial, inexpensive and decent looking, no decorations. It is not double lined, pro grade gunleather but could work for long enough to see if he wants to up his game enough to justify more expense.

Imis

Cowboy Shooter Supply out of Ft Towson has a leather maker that created a adjustable belt and holsters for bearcats that really work great. My grandson has been shooting for about 3 years and it still has adjustments available. The cost is good and the quality of the leather work is great.

I am doing this fro memory. A friend shortened 38 special brass down to what would be 38 Colt Short with a light bullet and power puff loads. He used Uberti pistols as they are relatively light and triple K holsters. As for a belt check your local medical supply for a grab belt. As my friend shot 38 specials, if one of the guns went down back ups were available. I believe he came up with a load by using Colt 38 short data as a starting point. I am not sure what he did for the rifle. I don't remember his daughter having special shells for rifle so I'm thinking she just used the 38 Colt Shorts.

Be sure and check the Bearcats carefully before investing the change!  I purchased a pair of the little Ruger pistols for  my grandkids to get started with and they were a total flop.  The actions were far to heavy for small kids to enjoy and I could not find a gunsmith willing to try and fix them for young hands to manipulate.  In the end I purchased another set, Ruger Single Sixes and though they were a bit large the kids far preferred them.  I think you will find that holsters sized for the .31 Colt Pocket Pistols will fit the Bearcats pretty well.  A mans 1 1/2" heavy work belt cut to proper length will be the best alternative to ultra light  guns carried on tiny waists.

For a beginner set of leather holsters, you might check Bull Creek Leather Holsters on EBay or Amazon.

For a small child, you might consider Slowhand Bob’s idea ... 

“A mans 1 1/2" heavy work belt cut to proper length will be the best alternative to ultra light  guns carried on tiny waists.”

•  

We started Cody James when he was 10.  My advice would be to get him a quality belt that can be extended.  Muscle memory on the shotgun is hard to change.  We tried the 22 route which lasted for two matches.  Once someone let him use their 38's there was not going back.  Even though he was a small 10 year old, Ruger Vaqueros worked great.  We just had to convince him that Santa belonged to the NRA!!!

This 2" wide leather belt works great for a beginning buckaroo.  You will have to cut it down to fit, but for the price, you won't mind.  An older local shooter in our area has used one of these as a shotgun belt for 15 years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/embossed-leather-tool-belt-47637.html

On 8/3/2020 at 4:15 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

http://jm-leather.com

Quality work, great guy to do business with.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:15 PM, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Be sure and check the Bearcats carefully before investing the change!  I purchased a pair of the little Ruger pistols for  my grandkids to get started with and they were a total flop.  The actions were far to heavy for small kids to enjoy and I could not find a gunsmith willing to try and fix them for young hands to manipulate.  In the end I purchased another set, Ruger Single Sixes and though they were a bit large the kids far preferred them.  I think you will find that holsters sized for the .31 Colt Pocket Pistols will fit the Bearcats pretty well.  A mans 1 1/2" heavy work belt cut to proper length will be the best alternative to ultra light  guns carried on tiny waists.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Del Rio Pete said:

For a beginner set of leather holsters, you might check Bull Creek Leather Holsters on EBay or Amazon.

For a small child, you might consider Slowhand Bob’s idea ... 

“A mans 1 1/2" heavy work belt cut to proper length will be the best alternative to ultra light  guns carried on tiny waists.”

•  

On 8/6/2020 at 2:43 PM, Kirk James said:

We started Cody James when he was 10.  My advice would be to get him a quality belt that can be extended.  Muscle memory on the shotgun is hard to change.  We tried the 22 route which lasted for two matches.  Once someone let him use their 38's there was not going back.  Even though he was a small 10 year old, Ruger Vaqueros worked great.  We just had to convince him that Santa belonged to the NRA!!!

On 8/6/2020 at 3:04 PM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

This 2" wide leather belt works great for a beginning buckaroo.  You will have to cut it down to fit, but for the price, you won't mind.  An older local shooter in our area has used one of these as a shotgun belt for 15 years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/embossed-leather-tool-belt-47637.html

Guys - sorry for the late replay and thank you's but I really appreciate all this advice and great ideas.  My wife reminded me the other day that I have done a bit of leather craft in the past, so I decided to make the belt myself.  Going with a 2" wide ranger style.  He loves it so far (progress pic attached).  I figured out a way to make it extendable by about 8" without losing "the look".  Now for some sewing, tooling and staining, and he'll be all set.  I'll buy holsters though - not that ambitious yet with my crafting.  However, Kirk James and Slowhand Bob have really got me rethinking the .22 route!! Thanks again guys - one of the things I like best about this new hobby is enjoying it with my boy!

JJ

Gunbelt.jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 11:06 PM, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

Guys - sorry for the late replay and thank you's but I really appreciate all this advice and great ideas.  My wife reminded me the other day that I have done a bit of leather craft in the past, so I decided to make the belt myself.  Going with a 2" wide ranger style.  He loves it so far (progress pic attached).  I figured out a way to make it extendable by about 8" without losing "the look".  Now for some sewing, tooling and staining, and he'll be all set.  I'll buy holsters though - not that ambitious yet with my crafting.  However, Kirk James and Slowhand Bob have really got me rethinking the .22 route!! Thanks again guys - one of the things I like best about this new hobby is enjoying it with my boy!

JJ

Gunbelt.jpg

Now, that's odd.  You forgot you could make it yourself??

On 8/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

Thanks guys!  All great advice that I will follow-up on. Now I just have to make it as fun as possible for him so he wants to play the game long term!

J.J.

That's the hard part.  Good luck.

JJ Reb,

I put together a full "Buckaroo" outfit for my then 10 year old grandson.  A pair of .22 revolvers, a Henry lever action rifle,and a slicked up 410 double.

He shot them really well but he much preferred my ,45 revolvers,my 18 inch rifle,and my 20 inch 12 gauge double.He shot them just as well as the smaller guns,but the smile factor was much greater.

Looking back ,I should have spent a little bit more and bought the center fire guns for him and saved myself a lot of money.

All depends on how well the young'un handles the noise and recoil of the larger firearms.

Choctaw Jack 

3 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

JJ Reb,

I put together a full "Buckaroo" outfit for my then 10 year old grandson.  A pair of .22 revolvers, a Henry lever action rifle,and a slicked up 410 double.

He shot them really well but he much preferred my ,45 revolvers,my 18 inch rifle,and my 20 inch 12 gauge double.He shot them just as well as the smaller guns,but the smile factor was much greater.

Looking back ,I should have spent a little bit more and bought the center fire guns for him and saved myself a lot of money.

All depends on how well the young'un handles the noise and recoil of the larger firearms.

Choctaw Jack 

Hey, you bought good stuff. He will always treasure those and as he gets older they will mean even more to him. Good job Grampa!

Archived