SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero: Spring kit options.

"Big Boston"

In my Ruger Blackhawks I usually just install the Wolff kit with a 19# hammer spring and 40 oz trigger spring and call it a day. I've become accustomed to this combination. Not super light but smooth and all brands of primers go bang.

I own a pair of SASS New Vaqueros, which I purchased used, and I was going to install the same kit. I don't know what springs are in them now, but I'm getting light strikes and missfires on one, so I'll be changing springs. In the mean time I just slipped in a set of stock Blackhawk springs, no more light strikes but perhaps a bit stiff.

I also own a New Vaquero that has the lock, and it uses a different length spring. 

First question: Of the 3 spring options for the locking model, 14#, 15# and 16# which is closest match to the operation of the 19# in the New Vaqueros without the lock?

Second question: What spring combination is stock in the SASS New Vaqueros, is it the same as the stock BH?

Any suggestions, what spring combinations are working for you in either model.

BB

Toss the lock. ;)

Get a #12 fender washer and bend/shape/trim to fit the grip frame.

If you are going to order from Wolff Gunsprings. Expect a 2-3 week delay in shipping. 

The gun with the FTF. Try a #10 A/N washer under the hammer spring. Will this gun fire factory ammo?

OLG 

There's factories that make ammo!  :rolleyes:

I like to test fire my guns the day before a match. I had a FTF and didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on troubleshooting. I just put in heavier springs that evening and and went to the shoot the next day.

The previous owner was a believer in lots of grease, I think I saw a bit of something?? stuck under the transfer bar. I had noticed that some of the primers from the previous meet had very light strikes.  I did not have any FTF during that match. All my brass goes into 1 bucket, so I didn't know which firearm was the culprit. I was just happy to have found the problem gun before it caused me grief in competition. 

BTW, not all my loads use the same primer, but the load I was using for the hipguns has F100 primers. If it wont light off a F100, not much use testing with a factory round.

When I removed the springs, one spring was shorter than the other, may be defective, collapsed. I have no way of knowing whether it is stock or aftermarket or the rated #'s.

The other gun gave me grief at the previous match, jammed up after the first shot and that was it. I just put it on the table and continued. The RO brought it to the unloading table and put it down, it was free. I think this pair had a few COVID gremlins, so I'll be soaking them in chloroquine overnight.

BB

I think the NMV comes stock with a 17 lb hammer spring. I run 14 lb springs in mine and use Federal primers exclusively.  I use the 40 oz trigger springs.  

I always bought mine from Brownells, but Brownells was out when I tried to order for my last two sets.  So, I ordered them straight from Wollfes.

I have been on backorder for one of the kits from Brownell's for about three weeks now. Looking for the 14 lb main spring with 30 oz trigger spring kit.

It is for my backup , so no real hurry , but I still hate waiting.

Rex :D

2 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I have been on backorder for one of the kits from Brownell's for about three weeks now. Looking for the 14 lb main spring with 30 oz trigger spring kit.

It is for my backup , so no real hurry , but I still hate waiting.

Rex :D

I just ordered the 30-14 combo online from Wolff tonight. They are in stock at $13.50.

Archived