SASS Wire Forum

Do any Wild Bunch events allow 20 ga at club level events

J Mark Flint, I am surprised that no one has chimed in on your request, concerning a 20 ga in WB.  On page 12 of the WB Rule book it only lists the 12ga cal in the legal shotguns, but I imagine you could that ga at any club match if you have a legal WB shotgun.  At our WB match here in Tombstone you could definitely use that ga.   We also have a local category called Hired Gun where 20 ga would be okay.  

Regards

The Wartrace Regulators have begun an open category for our monthly Wild Bunch matches. We allow almost any semi-automatic pistol, lever action rifle & pump shotgun. About the only limitations I recall are no 22 caliber & no jacketed ammo. Monthly wild bunch only, and trying to get more people interested in giving it a try.

Just ask the MD.  Several clubs around here don't hold "Wild Bunch" matches. They have Pike or Professional matches. This way they can offer attendees options that are not in strict compliance with WB rules.

At some of the Clubs in this Area we have an "Open" WB category..... In monthly matches Only.

You can pretty much shoot any gauge pump or lever or even a SxS shotgun...

and any pre WW1 pistol or rifle in any SASS legal pistol caliber .

The equipment rules are very flexible hoping to attract More Shooters!!

Personally, I dont shoot 45 acp any longer, arthritis has got me...

I only shoot 38 super in my 1911.... If I still had a Broomhandle I'd shoot it.

If it's billed as a Wild Bunch match, there is a rule book and specific allowable firearms for that, period. If the MD wants to allow a 20g M12, then a 16g M97 should be allowed... and a Remington 870... and a 10g Browning BPS... and so on. Oh, and I don't have a .45acp 1911, so can I use my Glock 19 9mm? Oh, and all I have for a rifle is an M1 carbine... and so on.

If I pay to shoot a Wild Bunch side match and bought a Rock Island 1911 .45 and a 12g M12 to participate, I'm going to be a bit ticked off if the MD allows someone else to use their FNP 9mm and a Benelli Nova "because they don't have the right equipment".

6 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

The Wartrace Regulators have begun an open category for our monthly Wild Bunch matches. We allow almost any semi-automatic pistol, lever action rifle & pump shotgun. About the only limitations I recall are no 22 caliber & no jacketed ammo. Monthly wild bunch only, and trying to get more people interested in giving it a try.

http://wartraceregulators.com/email/WBOpen.pdf

You all remember, when Wild Bunch was first introduced as a Side Match for Safe Queens,  a 20Ga M-12 would have been fine.  As would a Mauser 96, or a 1917 Colt DA, etc. etc. etc.  SASS made it better.  :ph34r:

Wild Bunch by the rules a 20 gauge isn't allowed. There are clubs that offer an Open category to get folks interested with the expectation that they will buy the appropriate equipment. I wouldn't list your Model 12 as WB appropriate, I'm sure you'd want whoever bought it knowing it's not legal for SASS or WB. A 20 gauge M12 shouldn't be hard to sell on it's own.

Tully

On 8/3/2020 at 5:30 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

If it's billed as a Wild Bunch match, there is a rule book and specific allowable firearms for that, period. If the MD wants to allow a 20g M12, then a 16g M97 should be allowed... and a Remington 870... and a 10g Browning BPS... and so on. Oh, and I don't have a .45acp 1911, so can I use my Glock 19 9mm? Oh, and all I have for a rifle is an M1 carbine... and so on.

If I pay to shoot a Wild Bunch side match and bought a Rock Island 1911 .45 and a 12g M12 to participate, I'm going to be a bit ticked off if the MD allows someone else to use their FNP 9mm and a Benelli Nova "because they don't have the right equipment".

For annual and above, sure hold to the rules.

For a monthly for a club that is struggling to get enough WB shooters to make it worth while to even hold the match, I think allowances make sense to help get the interest in WB going.

You probably don't want to hear about one club I shoot at that has a 'Wild Bunch' monthly match that features a PCC category, allows non standard guns to some extent, and even allows cowboys to come shoot cowboy guns for the match.  

At our local monthly matches, we offer a "Mild Bunch" category where we allow 9mm 1911s and 20g. 1897s to encourage folks to try it.  It's been especially appealing to the ladies who struggle racking a .45acp 1911.  

On 8/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I must assume you are referring to a big annual match, & not a monthly local match. If this is your attitude toward allowing someone to test the proverbial waters at a local monthly shoot before jumping in I am befuddle as to why you would feel slighted.

I have personally never cared about what or how anyone else was shooting as I don't compete with them, I compete with myself. It's probably why I hardly ever win anything, but I do have a lot of good friends (and no stress)......   

Once upon a time you could shoot Wild Bunch with anything made in or before the end of the First World War.   You'd see 1911's, Lugers, Broomhandles, 1917's, Webleys and a plethora of other old timey automatic pistols and DA revolvers.   Nobody ever tried to use a Glock or a Smith and Wesson model 29.   For shotguns you'd see 97s for sure, but also 87s, 12s and pretty much any pump or semi-auto shotgun made before 1918.  Rifles were the same way.  If it existed before the end of the Great War, you could use it.   Some clubs even allowed for the use of things like the 1903 Springfield, US Krag, Winchester 86, 94 , 95 and so on.

Most stages were 10 pistol, occasionally 15, never more than that.  Back then it made sense for the autoloaders to be limited to 5 rounds in the magazine as you'd be playing along with guys using revolvers.  1917s were popular for being able to be reloaded with moon clips.  You could use one or two pistols as you saw fit.   Rifles were usually ten rounds, and if you were using a "rifle caliber" rifle you had the option of reloading as needed, or using two rifles,   Shotguns were loaded at the loading table and there were usually 5 targets to shoot at, and you could reload to clear the misses.

In other words, Wild Bunch was a lot of fun, and it gave folks a chance to play with their old but not old west guns.   Some places still do it, as seen in the comments above, but it's not as common as it was.   When SASS came up with its official WB rules, it really restricted the fun factor of the game.   Now, I have shot SASS Wild Bunch.   While it's not as much fun as it was originally, it's still fun, even within the restrictions.  But the pre-SASS version was better.  To avoid confusion, some clubs that still do it the old way call it something else.  Personally, if I knew of an old school Wild Bunch match that was being done in a "state or regional" format, yes, I'd jump at the chance to shoot it.   With SASS rules WB, the only way I shoot it is if it's a side match at regular Cowboy Shoot or maybe a multi day event that takes place just prior to the multi day Cowboy shoot.   For a SASS rules WB shoot that happens on its own, be it a local monthly or a stand alone big event, it's just not worth the effort to me.  

Love to see more Old School Wild Bunch taking place again.

Archived