SASS Wire Forum

New Ruger case

Ruger has eliminated the gray box and went with a larger lockable case. I could ship two gray boxes in one medium flat rate box. Now the new Ruger case won’t even fit in a large flat rate box. What are your thoughts? Is a case important to you?

B18622E1-431B-4459-BB80-2CE475A5FA9F.jpeg

B1467CD4-1678-4545-AC49-9F099D168A2D.jpeg

F8B2D43A-881D-4478-9593-A0C9F995742E.jpeg

Get rid of the hard cases altogether and sell me a little cheaper revolver. My guns go in the safe and those cases just clutter up the top of my safe. When traveling to a monthly match I usually put them in my holsters in the back seat and when going to a bigger overnight match I have a cases that hold rifle/shotgun/revolver sets.

Ruger must have a got a heck of deal on them new boxes and personally I think they are ugly, I prefer the smaller gray case myself.

You ask and I answered, hate the new box but hindsight I don't plan on buying any new rugers in the near future, have to many now LOL

All for now JD Trampas

It looks to me like Ruger is attempting to save money by going to a "one-size-fits-all" case. This would be nice if the savings were passed on to the consumer, but let's be realistic.

I don't ship often, but the inability to ship in a flat-rate box is a bad thing.

A lot of people must just throw the box away, sell it at a yard sale, toss it in the rafters out in the garage or in the attic, etc., because most of the time I buy a used revolver, there's no box anyway.

I prefer the old case, for easier storage.
I have no illusions about out-living my guns, so having the original case at Selling Time is a plus.

As to the shape, etc... it appears to me another design implemented by a marketing person, instead of an engineer.

I would prefer to have the original box, especially on a new pistol. I realize the convenience of the flat rate box and the fact they are available at no charge. But many times it is cheaper to send the package using just regular, first class postage.

Cases are desired and valued when selling or buying collectible firearms or if you are shipping them to the purchaser or from the seller. The ones I hang on to are the Winchester and Colts, and for the Colts I got without a box those Grey Ruger sure do hold them nicely!  IMHO

I really don't care as long as I get the gun. I never liked the original cases. The new ones are just bigger so I probably won't like them either. I hate having a gun flopping around inside a box.

If I ship a gun it's FedEx and they have free boxes  so using the next size up is no problem for me.

The new case would be good for someone who doesn't have other gun cases / boxes for transporting to and from the range.

I wonder how many of us would not accept a brand new gun that had dings and scratches on it because it was abused  in shipment. I wouldn’t and I bet you wouldn’t either.  Ruger is responsible for getting a pristine new gun into your hands so you can booger it up the way you want. If the case protects the gun until I buy it, I’m happy..  Re-sellers will figure out what’s best for them.

I like cases.  I liked the old-style, simple, grey case more than the new ones.

But the point is moot - as I mentioned in another thread, we can't have 'em in California anyway.  'Tain't safe, they ain't.  Cause cancer, don'tcha know.  :huh:

Detailed Description

Black Handgun Caseclear.gif

Black injection molded plastic handgun case with red Ruger logo on front. Interior has foam padding with push closure and padlock access holes. Exterior dimensions: 13-1/2" L x 9-3/4" W; Interior dimensions: 13" x 8-1/4" x 3". Made in the USA by Flambeau.

This product is not currently available for sale to California customers due to requirements associated with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65).

My new 1873 from Kentucky Gun Co. came with a very noticeable ding in the buttstock.
Replacing the gun was out of the question...
CA requires another $50 FFL, another $40 background check, another 10-day waiting period, and shipping delays both directions.

I called Stoeger who warranties the Uberti.
They could do a stock replacement, after the C19 thing wore off.

I decided the heck with it, and decided to live with that ding.
First time at the range, the zip case wasn't all the way closed... and that new Uberti fell out and bounced around the asphalt.
I now have more dings in this brand new gun, than any of the guns I've owned since the 80s.
Drat.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

My new 1873 from Kentucky Gun Co. came with a very noticeable ding in the buttstock.
Replacing the gun was out of the question...
CA requires another $50 FFL, another $40 background check, another 10-day waiting period, and shipping delays both directions.

I called Stoeger who warranties the Uberti.
They could do a stock replacement, after the C19 thing wore off.

I decided the heck with it, and decided to live with.
First time at the range, the zip case wasn't all the way closed... and that new Uberti fell out and bounced around the asphalt.
I now have more dings in this bring new gun, than any of the guns I've owned since the 80s.
Drat.

Well, you got that out of the way. Now you don't have to worry about it's looks any more. :D

I always keep the box. But just in case I want to sell it. Box and paper work don't hurt to have.

That said. The old gray box was just fine with me. As once I get home with the gun. The box and paperwork

just gets stacked up never to be looked at again unless I go to sell it. Then I have to big through to find the

right one.

If I buy a brand spanking new gun I expect to git everything. Box, papers, stupid gun lock, etc.

On the rare occasion I sell a gun, I include the case. I even did that with cardboard boxes in the old pre-plastic days.

Oddly, although you cannot buy a box from Ruger and have it shipped to California, if you buy a new Ruger here it will come with the case.

I reckon they figger the Prop 65 sticker covers both gun and case; we already know that eating the gun is likely to be unhealthy.  :huh:

On 7/31/2020 at 11:02 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

Get rid of the hard cases altogether and sell me a little cheaper revolver. My guns go in the safe and those cases just clutter up the top of my safe. When traveling to a monthly match I usually put them in my holsters in the back seat and when going to a bigger overnight match I have a cases that hold rifle/shotgun/revolver sets.

+1

I had to buy specific boxes in bulk from Uline to fit the large case that SASS Vaquero's came in. It costs significantly more to ship than flat rate.

I expect I'll be buying boxes for singles and pairs now as well....and cost to ship will go up...

Archived