SASS Wire Forum

Nostalgia, Remember these

Okiepan

Fizznicks. A hollow plastic sphere cut in half around the equator that had a short tube coming out of each half. You put a scoop of ice cream in one half, snapped the two together and stuck one tube into a soft drink bottle of your choice, then turned it up and sucked on the other tube. Instant ice cream float. Bozo the Clown used to hock them on his tv show.

In sixth grade it was the cool thing to do to ask a girl to go steady by giving her a St. Christopher's medal necklace.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black & white Crosley TV, a wooden cube on a four legged platform.

Three channels -- 4, 6 and 10, out of Columbus -- had to aim the TV antenna with a pipe wrench and little brother leaning out the window to relay commands from dear old Dad watching the TV picture.

Wrapping aluminum foil cigarette wrapper around the ribbon wire lead-in, then slide it back and forth until the picture clears.

McGuffey's Reader was an auxiliary text in the sixth grade library case (I used to borrow National Geographics from the case when I was in first grade. I went into first grade reading at a sixth grade level.  See Dick, See Jane, See Baby Sally, see me throw up, I had to have something to actually read so I wouldn't go nuts!)

Yellow tablets -- Goldenrod and Fast Mail -- for ten cents out of a vending machine beside that cold Coke dispenser (ten cents), school lunch was 35 cents and milk was two cents.

14 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

M80.png

Or the busted toilets in the bus station and the high school!! :rolleyes: :unsure:

Raiding your parent’s liquor cabinet 

Trying your first chew of tobacco 

Sneaking into an adult movie

Girly magazines

Your first cigarette 

Your first traffic ticket

That first date/first kiss

Your first real job

Margarine that came in a bag with a dye packet. You broke the dye and kneaded the bag to mix the color to make it yellow like butter.

I looked this up and found some info. There were different laws in states allowing the sale of white margarine but not yellow. Big battle with the dairy industry. Some of it is like some of the modern gun control laws in restricted states. 

Here's the part that surprised me. In some states yellow margarine was legal to possess, but illegal to buy. Hence the development of these bags with the dye pack. Crazy.

Another thing I remember is when the cartons of milk were first replacing glass bottles, when you opened the carton flakes of wax would fall off until they finally improved the process.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Fresh milk in glass bottles delivered on your front doorstep twice a week; a layer of cream under the cap.

Fountain drinks at the corner drug store, 5 cents and 10 cents sizes, served by high school girls who were the stuff dreams are made of.

Phosphates.  Used to get a double vanilla phosphate every chance I got.  No body seems to make them any more.  Probably cause the galloping gomboouie or something.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:00 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Beatniks 

Sputnik

Wolfman Jack

The Dinah Shore Chevy Show

One Eyed One Horned Flyin’ Purple People Eater

Chuck Berry 

Buddy Holley

’55 T-bird

Mabeline

Audrey Hepburn

Bogey  and Bacall

45 rpm records 

Sock Hops

Roller skate keys

”I like Ike!”

The very first show we ever watched on out own TV when they brought three channels (4, 5 and 7) over the mountain from Salt Lake City.  That was about 1952.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:53 PM, DeaconKC said:

Mowing the older lady's lawn because your Dad said it was "the right thing to do"

Getting a drink from the neighbor's garden hose

Cleaning windows with vinegar water and newspaper

Making sure the Sunday paper had coupons

Vinegar water and newspapers still work.  I use i to get hard water stains off my shower door.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:18 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

"Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!"

Hiya kids, hiya hiya...

You beat me to it!

On 8/2/2020 at 1:19 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Vinegar water and newspapers still work.  I use i to get hard water stains off my shower door.

That is the best use of newspapers I have heard of recently, Tom. 

Archived