SASS Wire Forum

Nostalgia, Remember these

Okiepan

Remember when TV dinners had the metal trays you put in the oven ?

The taste of the stick bubble gum in Baseball Card packs ?

Chewing Wax during Halloween ?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Candy cigarettes, wax bottles with colored tasty water inside, Black Jack chewing gum, punch boards, Fanner 50s, bikes with horns in the fake fuel tanks, the YoYo man at school, March of Dimes, Polio Pioneers,  shoe store x-ray machines....and the list goes on

S&H Green Stamps

Filling stations

Beeman’s chewing gum

Dishes in detergent boxes

Glasses with the purchase of gas

Cigarettes for $.25 a pack out the machine 

Burmashave signs along the hwy.

16 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Candy buttons

That’s a new one for me.

15 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Coke bottles sold in vending machines

image.thumb.png.36bbbdb9b39cf6ccf58399c282f43801.png

A bit too recent (1970's?); my kid memory of an ice cold Coke involves a 1950's "slider" machine at the local gas station - these machines were "wet", with a chiller keeping the water cold, fully contacting the immersed bottle.  Everything was wet and cold when you pulled your bottle through the slide path, including your hand.  Pure sensory memory.  I'd love to have one of these machines on the back porch today.

COKE SLIDER.jpg

20 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: The entire class reciting the Lord's Prayer and The Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of every school day while standing by one's desk.

We did that in Catholic school for sure!

Recycled glass bottles,  (check it out, tree huggers!!)

Wildroot Cream Oil

Gas station attendants at the pump

Corporal punishments in school

Walking two blocks to the school bus stop

Playing outside in the neighborhood 'til dark

Ipana toothpaste

Coca Cola out of a vending machine for a nickel, (and folks raising hell when it went up to six cents!)

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

BDB5DF27-B5AB-4AE9-BD61-D1CCA7B9C4E9.jpeg

We just called 'em Dots

And play baseball without helmets, face guards, and chest protectors!!

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

A bit too recent (1970's?); my kid memory of an ice cold Coke involves a 1950's "slider" machine at the local gas station - these machines were "wet", with a chiller keeping the water cold, fully contacting the immersed bottle.  Everything was wet and cold when you pulled your bottle through the slide path, including your hand.  Pure sensory memory.  I'd love to have one of these machines on the back porch today.

They usually had one of these outside of the gas station and when it closed, kids used to pop the cap and drink it with a straw.  A friend told me that.

COKE SLIDER.jpg

29 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Recycled glass bottles,  (check it out, tree huggers!!)

Wildroot Cream Oil

Gas station attendants at the pump

Corporal punishments in school

Walking two blocks to the school bus stop

Playing outside in the neighborhood 'til dark

Ipana toothpaste

Coca Cola out of a vending machine for a nickel, (and folks raising hell when it went up to six cents!)

I remember as a kid buying a coke and a chocolate bar for a dime.

Walking into and around a government building with no security.   

Our court house had the only public bathroom downtown.  In 1971 when I turned 21, I stepped into the sheriff's office to get a handgun permit.  The sheriff was right there behind his desk. He ask me in a sturn voice, "You ever been in troube?". I replied no.   He got our the form and filled it out.  He had two deputies full time and 5 axillary part time that worked the county fairs,  etc.

After 911, they spent a million dollars to put in security.  Now the whole south side is closed to the public. It's onky used to bring prisoners into and out of court.  The north side has a security entrance with metal detectors and a guard. 

A lot of the county business has moved out of the court house.   He sheriff department is a big complex covering may acres.   I hear they can house 300 prisoners.   To get in the building,  you have to pass through two security doors to get into the lobby where you can talk to someone behind bulletproof glass.   I had to ask, "Do you feel secure in there?".

Archived