SASS Wire Forum

Remote Reporter- Shark!! in The Lake

Cat Brules

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

They have fresh water sharks in Oz?

They have salt water lakes in Oz?

That whole segment was confusing.

Bull Sharks an live in fresh water. They have been found WAY up the Mississippi river here in the US.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bull Sharks an live in fresh water. They have been found WAY up the Mississippi river here in the US.

Yep.  That's just one of the reasons that Bull Sharks are such a danger to humans.  They are known to swim quite a distance up freshwater rivers and streams.  After they've been in the more oxygen-rich freshwater for a while, the start to hallucinate, biting at almost anything that moves, and things that don't move, like pier pylons.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

They have fresh water sharks in Oz?

They have salt water lakes in Oz?

That whole segment was confusing.

Sharks often make their way into estuaries, and then upstream into rivers, and other “freshwater” streams that feed into the ocean.  After moving out of the saltwater ocean environment and moving upstream in these freshwater, ocean-bound tributaries, sharks can exist in fresh water rivers, streams and lakes, if not for a long time, then at least for a while.  So, Alpo, just when you thought it was safe to go swimming at the lake.......

image.png.e19018b9a149d7c71e1b915ea368ed4d.png

Cat Brules

Weeeellllll, to get in the lake where I live, they'd have to swim OVER the dam.  I ain't all that worried.

Howsomever, that lake does have alligators. :(

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I live on a river in Sydney (the Hawkesbury) and a friend caught a Bull Shark 80km up from the ocean.

About 60 years ago a feller was killed by a shark about 100km up the same river.

Archived