SASS Wire Forum

Online Outpost Action Slide Hook Screw?

Marshal Jennison

I saw that Online Outpost makes a replacement slide hook screw for the Norinco Model 1897, stating that the original Nornico screw is weak and prone to failure (which can cause major damage and potential injury).  Should I buy this for my 2009 IAC '97?   It's $23 plus shipping.

Have broken 2 on earlier IAC 97's    Online Outpost is a great place to get parts.         GW

29 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The Smith Shop also sells a tool steel action slide hook screw. 

That's the  one Online Outpost sells.   They are great people too, but I usually use the Outpost because Terry sells a wide range of parts from multiple vendors.  I call her the one stop gun parts stop       GW

13 minutes ago, Slick Derringer said:

Zero fun when you break the original screws. Definitely buy one. Worth every penny. 

That's for sure, that's for dang sure. Buy one now for a spare.  I had a hard time getting a broken one out. Mercy!

I've seen a Chinese 97 with a broken hook screw.  I've heard of a few others.  I have Smith Shop tool steel screws in all my Chinese made 97s now.   Sometimes the fix is to open a hole in the left side of the receiver to back out the broken shaft, because it (after a break) is deeply recessed from the normal right hand side access point.

So, it's worth the small price from both reliability of operation during matches, and prevention of an expensive repair.

Good luck, GJ

28 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I've seen a Chinese 97 with a broken hook screw.  I've heard of a few others.  I have Smith Shop tool steel screws in all my Chinese made 97s now.   Sometimes the fix is to open a hole in the left side of the receiver to back out the broken shaft, because it (after a break) is deeply recessed from the normal right hand side access point.

So, it's worth the small price from both reliability of operation during matches, and prevention of an expensive repair.

Good luck, GJ

Right on there, Garrison Joe. I broke the one on this one about 6 years ago and Jim Bowie tried his darndest to get the broken end out of the hook screw and couldn’t so he gave it back to me and suggested where I drill the hole if it came to that. His hole location was spot on and after the hole was drilled it came right out. It’s much easier to replace the hook screws before they break, I’ve done it on all of my Winchester 1897 16 gauges.

EE401586-4C09-4A1A-B014-8B1C47F2109F.jpeg

Thank you all.  FYI, I went with the Smith Shop because the shipping is $5 instead of $8 and the screw is slight cheaper ($7 vs $7.95).   I think I made a good decision, because he's sending me the screw and asking that I pay once I receive it.  I had to stare at the phone for a second or 2 when I heard that.  Boy what a  wonderful--but understandably lost-- way of doing business.

You guys are the bees' knees.

I have replaced some of these screws in Winchester 97s.  They can break also.  They will have about one thread on the end of the smooth part.  It can be tricky to get them out.

Archived