SASS Wire Forum

The Germans won WWII

Irish Pat

Eisenhower( German) Nimitz (German). The German American population on the 1940 showed more Americans of German ethnicity that Germans  in Germany.  Might win you drinks in a bar ! ☘️ Irish Pat

I thought it was kinda cute.  I bought the guy a drink that the told me. My mother’s father name is Karl Horne, guess where they came from?  Since I was born onSaint Patrick’s Day.  Irish ☘️ Pat was a natural but I think Galloway is more Scottish than Irish.  When I shoot at Trailhead in Columbus Texas they call me Irish Rat!!

There are a surprising number of Cubans of German and Chinese descent.

I like that!  Which means I’ll use it!

(Admittedly, I don’t much care for the Scots, MacClellan and MacArthur)

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I wonder how many South Americans are of German descent?  Asking for a friend

I worked with a Chinese gentleman born and raised in Trinidad.  The first time he spoke, it made you look twice at him.

1 hour ago, Smoky Pistols said:

I wonder how many South Americans are of German descent?  Asking for a friend

They were a later group than the ones in Cuba though..

3 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I worked with a Chinese gentleman born and raised in Trinidad.  The first time he spoke, it made you look twice at him.

I recall a fella who ran for the Dade County council in mMiami years ago. His name was Juan Wong.

I recently had a Chinese waiter take my order in a popular Mexican restaurant with a locally well known German cook.! This is America, the melting pot of the world! The food and service was exemplary :D

Americans with German names, along with many other emigrants and their offspring, won World War II.  They were fighting Hitler, not Germany, to get his diseased, grubby hands off the throat of Germany (obviously it was more complex than that).  Hitler did convert many Germans into Nazis.  Germans are easily led, and it’s my belief “they bear watching,”

Cat Brules

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

After Johnston's Army "invaded Utah to put down polygamy a whole passel for folks went to Mexico.  Lots of Johnsons, Olsens, Hansens, Owens and other  British and Scandinavian names.....and more than a few Italian and French, too.  Most don't look anymore like the typical Mexican than I look like a Russian ballerina.

I went to Russia to see the soccer World Cup in 2018 and saw the German vs South Korean game, next to me was a fan with the full garment as Ancient Korean Royalty that spoke perfect Spanish (born in Argentina return to SK for studying).

Behind me, Germans fans talking and sipping beer with the sadness of loosing the game, per my son words.

Mostly all of us had a great, but kraut obviously.  

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I believe both Germany and Japan are more prosperous than they would be if they had “won” the war.

That was the theme of a '60s movie: The Mouse That Roared.

Duffield

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I believe both Germany and Japan are more prosperous than they would be if they had “won” the war.

We basically had no choice but to help both countries rebuild after the war.  If we had not, they would have gone communist.  Problem was we figured we were so far ahead industrially that we had nothing to worry about.  But you take the steel industry: They rebuilt their steel companies with basic oxygen and electric arc furnaces, while we were still using open hearth and Bessimer converters!  No wonder the Steel Belt became the Rust Belt.  When Lee Iaccoco retired as CEO of Chrysler, he bragged that they could make a car $1,000 cheaper than the comparable Japanese car, and for a grand less the American public would accept the loose moulding between the doors!  Next door neighbor at the time showed me his company car...that had the loose moulding.  The trick was/is to make the car cheaper than the foreign competition, but without the loose trim!

Archived