SASS Wire Forum

The ultimate yuppie/millennial "do-good" endeavor...

Turning Weapons Into High-End Watches

Here's a gift idea that's hard to top: a $195,000 watch, made partly from recycled components of assault rifles seized in Africa. Not only is it an attention-getting item, but it's also a chance to do good. Each purchase funds the destruction of 1,000 weapons in central Africa....   

Shux... 'round these parts they're just melted into manhole covers* for a lot cheaper.  :rolleyes:

*Oops!  Sorry!  I forgot ~ we're not s'posed to say "manhole covers" anymore.  Oh well!    whistling.gif

When I was a kid the mailman would bring the mail everyday.

When I was in my 30s you could no longer say mailman. That was sexist. It was actually double sexist, because mail and man. Yes it was spelled different but it sounded the same. We started referring to the mailman as the person person.

Now of course he's a letter carrier.

A policeMAN is sexist, so he is a law enforcement officer. A fireMAN is sexist, so he is a firefighter.

It's all a crock of crap, and if you don't have that nonsense going on down in Oz, count yourself lucky.

So, let me get this straight.  You've got some "do gooder" buying up all the rusty, worn out AK-47's in Africa and paying cash for them.  Then turning the AK-47's into jewelry and watches, which he sells for an astronomical price to other "do gooders".  Meanwhile, back in Africa, they now have enough money to go buy a new AK-47.  

Maybe somebody should tell this 'do gooder" that they can make AK-47's faster than he can buy them.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

So, let me get this straight.  You've got some "do gooder" buying up all the rusty, worn out AK-47's in Africa and paying cash for them.  Then turning the AK-47's into jewelry and watches, which he sells for an astronomical price to other "do gooders".  Meanwhile, back in Africa, they now have enough money to go buy a new AK-47.  

Maybe somebody should tell this 'do gooder" that they can make AK-47's faster than he can buy them.

He is probably having to give them several times market value to get the locals to surrender their AK. Bet they use the money to buy a couple more plus lots of other contraband. 

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

But Bob... it makes 'em feel good.  That's the important thing!   :rolleyes:

I doubt very seriously that the "watches" were actually made from AK47 scrap.  No traceability to the materials used.  Besides, it's probably another "send your money to Nigeria" scam.  He'll probably find some fool to part with his money though.

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But Bob... it makes 'em feel good.  That's the important thing!   :rolleyes:

I remember an interview with a democrat politician about some proposed gun control law. He admitted that the law wouldn't really prevent any crime. He finished with, "it would make people feel better, and there's a value to that."

Archived