SASS Wire Forum

Odd Headstamp

Ruff Kut

I shoot 44-40 or 44 WCF. 

Has anyone seen brass that was stamped 44 CFW before?  Was a first for me today.

Sounds like it is pretty old.....like 110-120yo maybe???           .....Cat Brules

Dont lose it.

Where’d you get it?

“CFR” might mean, “Center Fire Remington”(?), which might (speculating, now) have resulted in legal problems for Remington.(????)

image.jpeg.e0902f3fd9538e13e45f117853dea911.jpeg

From the internet:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=86942

CFW: Center Fire Western

response from probably the best "historic information department" in the ammo business. Here is a direct quote from the Remington historian concerning your UMC .44 C.F.W.

"These were done in a time when companies competed so much with one another that they refused to put another company name on the cartridges they produced. 44 WCF was for the 44 Winchester Center Fire cartridge. UMC loaded it with the CFW stamp standing for Center Fire Western. They are still basically the same. The CFW headstamp was used prior to the 1920's."

Similar to the Colt .38 Police Positive -- which except for the shape of the bullet nose is the same cartridge as .38 S&W. Colt New Services in .357 are simply marked ".357 Cartridge" sted ".357 Magnum" as "magnum" was a Smith & Wesson thing.

I had a box of shotgun reloading supplies I picked up a while back.  Like old old shotgun reloading.  Felt pads, wax sealed overshot cards etc.  I bought the box of stuff mostly because all of the components still had the original boxes.  Great display stuff.  It had a few odd brass rattling around in it.

Archived