SASS Wire Forum

'73 Trigger?

Crusty Knees

I broke open the piggy back a few months ago and bought a used "race ready" Uberti '73.  Short-stroked, etc.

It runs flawlessly, the problem is me.  The trigger is curved a bit more than normal, rounded off nicely at the bottom so you don't spear your finger, and set so that it is back almost to the very rear of the trigger guard.

It breaks crisp.  Maybe the former owner had big hands.

Anyway, I'd like to have the trigger a lot further forward in the trigger guard, sorta like my Marlin with a Phantom Trigger.

I've been watching videos and looking online, and I see the Slix Trigger and the Shotgun Boogie Trigger.

Of course, the Slix Trigger just uses my own sear, while the SB is a complete replacement.

Any opinions from users of either of them?  Is there another brand of trigger replacement that I've missed?

I've been running the Slix in two of my '73s for a couple of years.  Great trigger.

Sassy and I have the Slix in six 73s so, yea we like them.  The Slix will  definitely set further forward than how you describe your present set-up.  Some prefer the feel of a rounded trigger however, I particularly liked the feel, coupled with the position, of Slix's flat trigger.  

I know nothing of SB's trigger but Phantom runs his well.  SB is certainly know for his products.

Comes down to preference shotgun boogie has two models for trigger position I personally tried slix straight trigger first was cheeped and it didn’t work for me was just too forward then I got a number 2 shotgun boogie and it was the ticket for me and I can run that rifle like a sewing machine wide open. Best to try someone’s out before committing to buying either.

Just put the Shotgun Boogie straight trigger in mine after thinking about it for a good while.

Wish I would have done it a long time ago.

Takes a little getting use to. 100-120 rounds.

But after that. I really like it.  

30 minutes ago, Mr w said:

Comes down to preference shotgun boogie has two models for trigger position I personally tried slix straight trigger first was cheeped and it didn’t work for me was just too forward then I got a number 2 shotgun boogie and it was the ticket for me and I can run that rifle like a sewing machine wide open. Best to try someone’s out before committing to buying either.

Certainly good to try out all options when available.  When I started with Slix that was about only flat trigger I knew made, I liked it so have stuck with it.  SB continues to be productive in parts and expertise.

24 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Just put the Shotgun Boogie straight trigger in mine after thinking about it for a good while.

Wish I would have done it a long time ago.

Takes a little getting use to. 100-120 rounds.

But after that. I really like it.  

Well, well, appears I might be able to take a look at one of SB's flat triggers , maybe even give it a try, cause Al's got one and we shoot together often.  In fact Al's beats me to often. ;)

I think most of the flat triggers take a little getting used to when one has run a round, original style for any length of time.  But, like you say Al, don't take long to get the feel of them.

I use the SliX trigger in all of mine and the wife's rifles (5)   I have seen the SB trigger and agree a fine piece of product.

A couple big differences are the ease of assembly and the cost.

Doing five rifles made the cost an issue.

Ol'  #4

I have the exact opposite problem as you, not enough room in the trigger guards  So when I put Slix triggers in my rifles I didn't care for them much.  (To be fair, I was having other problems with the rifles at the same time.)  I've since gotten the full Shotgun Boogie treatment so I have two Slix triggers collecting dust in the gun room.  PM me your address and I'll get them heading your way. 

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 3:30 PM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Certainly good to try out all options when available.  When I started with Slix that was about only flat trigger I knew made, I liked it so have stuck with it.  SB continues to be productive in parts and expertise.

Well, well, appears I might be able to take a look at one of SB's flat triggers , maybe even give it a try, cause Al's got one and we shoot together often.  In fact Al's beats me to often. ;)

I think most of the flat triggers take a little getting used to when one has run a round, original style for any length of time.  But, like you say Al, don't take long to get the feel of them.

Sorry. Big correction. Not sure what I was thinking. Mine is the Slix.

I get brain dead sometimes.

16 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Sorry. Big correction. Not sure what I was thinking. Mine is the Slix.

I get brain dead sometimes.

Al, since you recently had the honor of becoming a new category participant of Senior Duelist,  let me assure you, as a soon to be member of the Cattle Baron Duelist category, those "brain dead" moments do not go away.  In fact you can look forward to having them more frequently. 

Guess I will not get to try that SB trigger in your gun, but if you want to try the Slix triggers that are in our 73s your welcome to. :D   Hope to see you at Cowpokes next week.  We're having company this weekend so will not make 10horns.

I started with a stock trigger, switched to the slix. Was unsure if I liked it. Mine sat awkwardly angled forward. Recently switched to the Shotgun Boogie Gun Works V2 and absolutely fell in love. Exactly what I was looking for all along. Can’t recommend enough. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:44 AM, Shooting Bull said:

I have the exact opposite problem as you, not enough room in the trigger guards  So when I put Slix triggers in my rifles I didn't care for them much.  (To be fair, I was having other problems with the rifles at the same time.)  I've since gotten the full Shotgun Boogie treatment so I have two Slix triggers collecting dust in the gun room.  PM me your address and I'll get them heading your way. 

That is amazing!  Thank you.  I'll send you a PM.

Archived