SASS Wire Forum

Concealed carry semi-auto?

Hoss

23 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ruger SR9c or  S&W Shield . I have both. They’re affordable and easy to carry. The Shield is lighter.

I have carried one or the other of these two and have been very happy with both. I do use the extended 8 rnd mag for the Shield because it fits my hand better.

I use the extended floorplate on the Ruger mag for the same reason. Of course here in California I'm limited to 10 round mags :(  

Since you are used to a DA revolver, look at the SCCY pistols with safety. Long trigger pull like a DA revolver, 10 rounds, will fit in a pants pocket, decent sights. If i'm not carrying my Sig 239 in .40, that;s what I have with me.

23 hours ago, Fast Tracker said:

If you don’t mind a.380, try a Bersa. I have owned 3. I gave one to my adult son and was talked into selling another. The standard model is a 7 round mag. There is also a double stack which I believe is a 12 round mag. The ones that I have had were totally reliable with both fmj and hollow points. The slide is fairly easy to rack. It has a manual safety which also a decocker. It is also sa/da so can be carried with safety off, a round in the chamber and the hammer down.

+1 for the Bersa .380

Good gun for not much money. I have had a couple in the past and really liked them. Fit

my hand good. Never failed.

Don't remember why I traded them off. But have been wanting another. I WILL get another. But

or course right now they are hard to find except for on Gun Broker. Not a fan of buying there.

This time I will keep it. But then. That's what I said last time.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:46 AM, Hoss said:

For years I’ve carried a 357 Ruger SP101 or more recently a Kimber K6. I just like the simplicity of revolvers, plus carrying a semi auto with one in the chamber gives me the willies. (All though my hammerless Kimber is basically the same thing) I do sometimes carry a Sig  P238 380 when a revolver is just too big to conceal. 

I’ve been  thinking about going to a 9mm to increase capacity a bit, plus easier to carry additional ammo. I definitely want something with a safety, thinking about a Sig 365 MS. 

any thoughts on what I ought to be looking for? I’m really not a Glock fan. I know they are good pistols, I just don’t like them! Plus lack a safety. I have a fear of snagging a trigger in my shirt-tail! 

How about a da/sa , revolver pull/safety on the first shot then sa , just learn to decock before holsering 

6 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I fell in love and carrying a Glock 43. Don't need no steeeeenking safety. Mag capacity stinks, but everything's a trade off. Put MagGuts kits in both of mine that at least gives 1 more round.

JHC

I just picked up the Glock 43X last week.

Same as the 43. But has a little longer grip. Holds 10+1

After running about 100 rounds through it. It is now my favorite.

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

How about a da/sa , revolver pull/safety on the first shot then sa , just learn to decock before holsering 

On my list. 

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

On my list. 

Sig , Beretta, CZ all make great ones , I’m sure I’m also leaving a few out .

I have a CZ PO7 which is glock 19 size . It can be carried da/sa or replace the de cocker with a safety and you can carry CL like a 1911 .

Sig 229 is also in that same size range , Berettas seem to have a little more girth but I know many people who really like them 

I carry others, but usually it's this Kahr CM9 I bought half a dozen years ago to replace a Kimber Solo I purchased only a couple weeks prior that wouldn't make it through a magazine without jamming up. The Kimber was eventually sent back and the frame replaced as being "out of tolerance". It seems to work OK now, but that ship has sailed.

ChallengeCoin.thumb.jpg.eb7256051a03968b489e8d76ae43a4ca.jpg

Well, I decided on a Sig 365MS, picked it up today. I looked at several, and the LGS gad a HellCat as well. The Sig just felt better in my hand 

Now I have to find some 9mm ammo. I could kick myself, about a year ago I bought an estate sale full of reloading stuff. Included a Dillon 550, that had a 9mm setup. Sold the toolhead, dies, powder measure, conversion kit, 500 new star line cases, probably 3000 bullets. 

oh well. I’ll find some practice ammo and likely will use factory for  carry anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Well, I decided on a Sig 365MS, picked it up today. I looked at several, and the LGS gad a HellCat as well. The Sig just felt better in my hand 

Now I have to find some 9mm ammo. I could kick myself, about a year ago I bought an estate sale full of reloading stuff. Included a Dillon 550, that had a 9mm setup. Sold the toolhead, dies, powder measure, conversion kit, 500 new star line cases, probably 3000 bullets. 

oh well. I’ll find some practice ammo and likely will use factory for  carry anyway. 

I’ve got 365 , it’s my t shirt and shorts gun . I like it and really shoot it well for such a small gun , hopefully you’ll be as happy with yours 

Well, I am at my usual response speed [ just a LEEEETLE slow], but Firearms News' new issue is devoted to carry guns!

On 7/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I just picked up the Glock 43X last week.

Same as the 43. But has a little longer grip. Holds 10+1

After running about 100 rounds through it. It is now my favorite.

Look into these when you can, but note that they require an aluminum mag catch.

https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

Bought my 9MM light weight sa/da 45 years ago.

S&W M39.jpg

I'm sorta the odd man out here. I realize that the OP has found the gun of his current dreams, but I thought I'd pitch my two bits worth into the mix anyway. I've carried revolvers and a couple of different semi-autos over the years (including a Glock 27) and I keep coming back to my Gov't model 1911 in a pancake holster behind my right hip and a pair of extra mags on my left hip. The whole thing tucks neatly under an over-sized t shirt. I generally wear some sort of wicking undershirt under the t shirt and it seems to work pretty well even in 100 degree weather...

Archived