SASS Wire Forum

Concealed carry semi-auto?

Hoss

For years I’ve carried a 357 Ruger SP101 or more recently a Kimber K6. I just like the simplicity of revolvers, plus carrying a semi auto with one in the chamber gives me the willies. (All though my hammerless Kimber is basically the same thing) I do sometimes carry a Sig  P238 380 when a revolver is just too big to conceal. 

I’ve been  thinking about going to a 9mm to increase capacity a bit, plus easier to carry additional ammo. I definitely want something with a safety, thinking about a Sig 365 MS. 

any thoughts on what I ought to be looking for? I’m really not a Glock fan. I know they are good pistols, I just don’t like them! Plus lack a safety. I have a fear of snagging a trigger in my shirt-tail! 

I like the springfield XDS or Hellcat pistols.   Springfield has a couple of safety features in the XDS, Trigger is a two part trigger.. And a grip safety. 

The Hellcat has gotten some amazing reviews... But has only the trigger safety.

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

For years I’ve carried a 357 Ruger SP101 or more recently a Kimber K6. I just like the simplicity of revolvers, plus carrying a semi auto with one in the chamber gives me the willies. (All though my hammerless Kimber is basically the same thing) I do sometimes carry a Sig  P238 380 when a revolver is just too big to conceal. 

I’ve been  thinking about going to a 9mm to increase capacity a bit, plus easier to carry additional ammo. I definitely want something with a safety, thinking about a Sig 365 MS. 

any thoughts on what I ought to be looking for? I’m really not a Glock fan. I know they are good pistols, I just don’t like them! Plus lack a safety. I have a fear of snagging a trigger in my shirt-tail! 

How about your P238's big brother - the P938?  Same controls, same great quality, just one step up on caliber.

LL

I'm a big fan of the Sig P938.  It's only slightly larger than your P238, but it's in 9mm.  Probably won't increase your capacity as it's a 8-shot with a full mag and one in the chamber.

For larger capacity I carried a Browning High-Power for years and absolutely loved it.  I don't have any hands on experience with any of the newer 9's.

Angus

I had a CZ Rami sub compact that I foolishly traded off.  If I decide to carry a semiautomatic, I would get another.

Technically the Glock has 3 safties, just not an external safety.

For a smaller 9mm the Hellcat has been very popular lately. I am not sure what safeties it has but it has an impressive mag capacity for its size.

Nothing wrong with a S&W Shield either. Those can be had with or without an external safety.

23 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

How about your P238's big brother - the P938?  Same controls, same great quality, just one step up on caliber.

LL

Still just a 6 or maybe 7 shooter. 

I have carried a variety, mostly due to weather conditions and apparel worn.  I like the Ruger LC9, M&P Shield for smaller 9mm.  I have also carried a 1911 in 9mm, 38 Super, 45acp.  I have thought about something in between the two extremes, maybe a Walther PPQ or H&K VP9.

As with a revolver, it is best to find something that fits your hand well and you will practice with.  I have tried some that I thought would work, but I did not like the way the fit my hand or shot.

The 365 and the Hellcat seem to be the latest and greatest of the modern carry pistol. Although I'm intrigued, I settled on the 9mm and .45 acp Shields some years ago and have multiple magazines for them. I wouldn't mind shooting these all back to back just to see how they compare. 

Ruger SR9c or  S&W Shield . I have both. They’re affordable and easy to carry. The Shield is lighter.

You're gonna want to try them all out because the grips and triggers vary so much. I found the Sig 365 too thin for my hands. Same with the Ruger LC9 series. I had already bought a Glock 43 when I tried a friends S&W Shield. Very nice gun I would have considered. 

I'm not ecstatic with my G 43, but it suits my needs for carrying in a pocket (with pocket holster of course) and IWB carry. A must for me. The grip fits me the best of all the single stack subcompacts I've tried. I hate stock Glock triggers and put an aftermarket one in myself for about $50 that is a marked improvement. So far I haven't shot any other guns that make me want to replace it.

In the end, yours will be a very personal decision based on many factors unique to you. The 9mm is a great platform and there are a lot of great ones to choose from. Have fun looking!

Mag capaity is overrated. Getting into a protracted gunfight as a ccw carrier is statistically very remote. P938 with a 7+1 capacity and an extra mag is fine for me. The bigger the mag, the harder it is to conceal and carry comfortably. I much prefer it over the Glock 26 I had. Lighter and smaller. And it's dead bang accurate.

SipP938.jpg

Les Baer conceaaled carry .45ACP

46 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Mag capaity is overrated. Getting into a protracted gunfight as a ccw carrier is statistically very remote. P938 with a 7+1 capacity and an extra mag is fine for me. The bigger the mag, the harder it is to conceal and carry comfortably. I much prefer it over the Glock 26 I had. Lighter and smaller. And it's dead bang accurate.

SipP938.jpg

I wasn't as concerned with mag capacity before and it's true that most ccw events are a few shots and close. There are more reasons today to give capacity more consideration. Multiple attackers surrounding you in or out of your vehicle, etc. If you're going to leave your gun at home because it's too big for you to carry then you're better off with something that you will carry. Just going by statistics you can justify not carrying in the first place.

I carry a lightweight revolver is 38sp+p.

I don't have to remember where the safety is or if I have to operate the slide in case of a jam.

Yes I only have 5 shots.

I am a pretty good shot.

I can run fast for a short distance.

I duck pretty good too.

The gun is easily replaceable when the police take it from me after the shooting.

If you don’t mind a.380, try a Bersa. I have owned 3. I gave one to my adult son and was talked into selling another. The standard model is a 7 round mag. There is also a double stack which I believe is a 12 round mag. The ones that I have had were totally reliable with both fmj and hollow points. The slide is fairly easy to rack. It has a manual safety which also a decocker. It is also sa/da so can be carried with safety off, a round in the chamber and the hammer down.

Thanks Hoss, your topic cost me some money!  :lol:

In previous posts I recommended the subcompact CZ 2075 RAMI, because I had owned one but traded it away.  I regretted it so much that I did some phone shopping today and found another one NIB in a nearby town, under manufacturer’s suggested retail.  Bought it, and some ammo, and range tested it an hour later.  It shoots just as sweet as my old one.  

Whatever you choose, I hope you are as pleased as I am with this CZ.

For the first fifty of my years I thought there was nothing would ever replace the 1911 but then a friend heard me make such remarks and reminded me that the Duke had once felt that way about the SAA!  Any rate, a bit over twenty years ago I went out a shooting some handguns with relatives and 'relatives of', the assortment of shooters was pretty well represented with Glocks being somewhat popular amongst the in-laws.  I was pretty impressed by the biggest of the Glocks, a 17 I think?  I swayed back and forth over that dang Glock fer a spell, just couldnt get comfortable with the grip and thet dang trigger being the safety jist didn't seem right :wacko:.    To make a long story longer a friend from the local range, a Three Gunner, introduced me to his new S&W Compact and I really loved the grip on that little gun.  Shore nuff within the first few months, just as I was starting to feel safe with it, I had my first (and only) AD.  I immediately locked that gun away and went back to my Officers Model Colt  for the next several years.  Last year I saw S&Ws new 2.0 Version of their new SubCompact 9mm with the extended Ambi-safety and gave it a whirl.  It will easily accept my biggest S&W full size M&P mags (with extenders).  Its almost like carrying an AR in a holster.  I stay away from the big city streets at nights now days and must admit that I consider it sad that life demands such from citizens BUT at least I think of myself doing it as my choice BUT hope trouble doesnt come looking to force my hand.  Them nines shore look little but like fire ants they is a lot of them and they burn when they sting!!!

The Sig 365 is available with or without a thumb safety.   GW

I was also afraid of carrying a Glock in my pocket without a safety.  That was until I discovered this device:

https://www.amazon.com/Saf-T-Blok-Post-Read-Fit-Description/dp/B0050R9CNO/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=safe-t-block&qid=1596077563&sr=8-7

Now I carry a Glock 26 with a Glock 19 magazine.  16 rounds of 9mm that drops in my pocket and I feel perfectly safe with the Saf-T-Block safety. 

Colt Mustang .380 works for me.   I do have a spare mag for it but the odds of needing it are remote in a CCW situation.   Oddly, the mag it came with was a five rounder, but the extra one I obtained a few years later is a 6.  Both are Colt mags.   Go figure.   The Mustang WILL accept the longer, and thus higher capacity "goverment model" .380, but that kind of defeats the purpose.   Then again, the GM .380, while bigger than the Mustang, and a bit rarer as well, is not too big for concealment.   So that's an option as well.

And don't let the old "Cocked and locked" style scare you.   It worked just fine for the Army for over 75 years.

I didn't read the post above but I'm sure there are some great suggestions.

Anyhow, one of my favorites is the SIG P229.   It has the 'hammer drop' type system you can carry with

one in the chamber and the hammer is safely resting in the 'almost down' position.

First shot is for DA and requires a DELIBERATE pull of the trigger.  Subsequent shots are SA.

They can be had in 9mm,  .40 S&W,  and .357 SIG calibers.     My personal one is in .357 SIG.

Another favorite of mine is the EAA Witness Compact.   It utilizes a manual thumb type safety

and 1st shot is for DA and subsequent shots are SA.    My personal one is in 10mm.

..........Widder

I fell in love and carrying a Glock 43. Don't need no steeeeenking safety. Mag capacity stinks, but everything's a trade off. Put MagGuts kits in both of mine that at least gives 1 more round.

JHC

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Colt Mustang .380 works for me.   I do have a spare mag for it but the odds of needing it are remote in a CCW situation.   Oddly, the mag it came with was a five rounder, but the extra one I obtained a few years later is a 6.  Both are Colt mags.   Go figure.   The Mustang WILL accept the longer, and thus higher capacity "goverment model" .380, but that kind of defeats the purpose.   Then again, the GM .380, while bigger than the Mustang, and a bit rarer as well, is not too big for concealment.   So that's an option as well.

And don't let the old "Cocked and locked" style scare you.   It worked just fine for the Army for over 75 years.

Carried a Mustang in my hip pocket for years. Sure feel better with the extra HP of a 9. My Mustang wouldn't penetrate both sides of an oil drum.

JHC

23 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Carried a Mustang in my hip pocket for years. Sure feel better with the extra HP of a 9. My Mustang wouldn't penetrate both sides of an oil drum.

JHC

Yeah. That’s the reason I got the SIGP938. My 380 Colt, while one of my favorites, just wasn’t up to the job in my opinion. Especially with the wintertime clothing worn around here. Penetrating a  heavy coat, vest, and long johns is just asking a lot for that cartridge.

16 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Thanks Hoss, your topic cost me some money!  :lol:

In previous posts I recommended the subcompact CZ 2075 RAMI, because I had owned one but traded it away.  I regretted it so much that I did some phone shopping today and found another one NIB in a nearby town, under manufacturer’s suggested retail.  Bought it, and some ammo, and range tested it an hour later.  It shoots just as sweet as my old one.  

Whatever you choose, I hope you are as pleased as I am with this CZ.

Remember J-Bar, bullets go in the from the bottom of the gun. :D

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. That’s the reason I got the SIGP938. My 380 Colt, while one of my favorites, just wasn’t up to the job in my opinion. Especially with the wintertime clothing worn around here. Penetrating a  heavy coat, vest, and long johns is just asking a lot for that cartridge.

If it's that cold you can wear something MUCH better. Carried my Mustang when it was hot as crap here. Hid behind my checkbook pretty well.

JHC

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Who made the holster? 

OLG 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, El Mulo Vaquero, SASS #55942 said:

Go with the Sig 365!  12 round mags plus one in the chamber

20200729_100049.jpg

Bob Calkins at Three Cross Leather here in NM.

I can PM you his info if you want

Archived