SASS Wire Forum

Say the line?

Warden Callaway

Some eight years ago when I started CAS,  there was a lengthy story read at safely meeting that often incorporated some ribbing of the major players.  Each stage scenario had a paragraph read that tied into the story.  Then when shooter was ready, they would say a line. 

Well, years past and people changed and the stories were dropped.   But we always had a line that went with a theme - like lines from a popular western. But lately I'm not seeing even the line spoken.  Just, "Shooter Ready?", and at the reply, the buzzer is set off.

Is this just the evolution of the game?  Is it regional?  Is there anyone still doing stories?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Some eight years ago when I started CAS,  there was a lengthy story read at safely meeting that often incorporated some ribbing of the major players.  Each stage scenario had a paragraph read that tied into the story.  Then when shooter was ready, they would say a line. 

Well, years past and people changed and the stories were dropped.   But we always had a line that went with a theme - like lines from a popular western. But lately I'm not seeing even the line spoken.  Just, "Shooter Ready?", and at the reply, the buzzer is set off.

Is this just the evaluation of the game?  Is it regional?  Is there anyone still doing stories?

We still have a story but don't always read them in extremely hot or cold weather but  we always have a starting line. If someone chooses not the say the line and say shooter ready or let's go we start.

Randy

As what Mr. Randy said. I always have a story which sets the tone for the story line. To help I print the story line, put it in a frame and hang it up at the starting position. If you still want to say shooter ready than no big deal. It is amazing though that even if you use the same line for all six stages, most still look at the framed line then say it even at stage six.

We still say lines at the clubs I shoot at. I incorporate lines in all the stages at our matches. I've never written stories. I think lines add to the fun of the game. Many times the shooter will intentionally butcher the lines resulting in some laughs. I've butchered a few myself.

For an annual having a story in the shoot book with a paragraph for each stage that the shooter can read on their own is fine.  Personally I don't like the paragraphs read aloud, it takes time, and takes my attention away from what I'm supposed to be doing.

I do like starting lines.  Some matches will have them, some won't, depends on who wrote the stages.  Absent a given starting line I'll make something up.

As to your question I think there is likely some evolutionary aspect to it, as well as regional and other influences.

Our club usually uses a short story line.  It sometimes varies for the entire match or from stage to stage.  We always use a starting line.  Most of the other local clubs don not use the story but they are all using a starting line.

The two clubs for which I serve as TG have gone in slightly different directions on this. 

The Illowa Irregulars (Milan Rifle Club) have generally moved away from long backstories, tending to do very short ones, or none at all. However, most of our stage writers still use starting lines, which we print and post in an area the shooter can see from the start position.

The Illinois River City Regulators (Chillicothe, IL.) do use full backstories and start lines, which are also printed and posted.

In either case, shooters are free to use "shooter ready" or some such, but most do say the appropriate line.  As Seamus said, half the fun is when some of the folks come up with clever (or not!) ad-libs on the original line - we have some shooters who are quite good at it...

Most clubs here have short stories and lines. They are related to the particular stage like the jail, saloon, or bank. Sometimes they are all taken from a movie, serial, or TV series.

I like them as it adds to the ambiance and butchered lines can be really funny.

I'm right fond of "Well are you gonna pull those whistles or pistol Dixie!" :D

Kajun

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Is this just the evaluation of the game?  Is it regional?  Is there anyone still doing stories?

I have to ask, did you mean "evolution" of the game?   And the answer to that question will be as varied as there are matches to attend.

Is it regional?  Well.... duh!  It happens in every region.  Therefore it's "regional". 

Is there anyone still doing stories?  I'm sure that are.  Just as I'm sure that there are folks that complain when stories are included;  just as there are others who complain when they aren't.  I'm also just as sure that there are fewer than in years past.  Complaints about them are the primary reason stage writers quit.  Some stage writers, just like shooters, spotters, timer operators, etc., are more talented and find including a story line for a match easy... Others work hard to include them... Either will quit when faced with enough complaints.  

When I started shooting at The Coto Cowboys nearly 17 years ago (soon to change their name to The Cowboys when EOT was stripped from them), we didn't do lines...don't remember doing lines at West End, Cajon...etc, etc.

So...what's this about things changing all of a sudden????

Oh, and don't ask if a shooter is ready. They'll let ya know one way or another.

Phantom

Our head honcho/stage writer/cat herder, incorporates stage lines that follow a theme for each shoot. I appreciate it. Part of what makes it special... It separates the game from those competitions where they wear tactical underwear and imitation SWAT uniforms..(as opposed to our play cowboy uniforms). Wouldn't be as fun without them.

For almost four years, the stages I've written for our club have had a story or some reason to start a gunfight.  I like to keep them short and try to include a little humor.  Like this:

Yesterday, my wife asked me, “Is it just me or is the cat getting fatter?”  Apparently, “No, it’s just you” wasn’t the right answer.  That’s what started the gunfight.  Indicate ready by saying, "It's just you."

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

When I started shooting at The Coto Cowboys nearly 17 years ago (soon to change their name to The Cowboys when EOT was stripped from them), we didn't do lines...don't remember doing lines at West End, Cajon...etc, etc.

So...what's this about things changing all of a sudden????

Oh, and don't ask if a shooter is ready. They'll let ya know one way or another.

Phantom

SCARY but here I am agreeing with Phantom again.

At my age it's hard enough remembering the stages, much less the starting lines. If the line is written and posted where I start, I will say it, but if not written I say ready.  I need all my

memory to keep from messing up a stage.

J.M.

All of the monthly club shoots I participate in here in central PA have a short story per stage, and a line to say when the shooter is ready. Personally I think it's part of the CAS experience. I can't remember any episode of a western TV show of the 50's & 60's that didn't have a story behind it.

No story but the match has a theme.  Each stage has a line (related to the theme).  Saying the line acknowledges to the TO that the Shooter understand the stage and is ready for the "BEEP".

A required line puts the shooter in charge of the start of the stage.  For that reason alone I like the lines.

Yep, if you want a line spoken, then have it posted at the starting position. Some of us forget between the loading table and the starting position...........:rolleyes:

Don't ya love when the line is, " Dying ain't much of a living boy" and the shooter says, "Something about dying" :P:lol:

The five posses I shoot with, print a match booklet and the match has a theme with a short 4 or 5 line story justifying the theme.

Start lines reflect the overall theme.

Just a bunch of middle age kids playing cowboy with real guns and having a lot of fun doing it.

Ready. With less help and fewer people writing scenarios, those of us that still work for a living don't have time to add stories, themes, and start lines.

I've not seen stories or themes around here for years. I do see occasional start lines at annual events.

1 hour ago, Go West said:

Yep, if you want a line spoken, then have it posted at the starting position. 

I have also started posting the starting position on a card at the starting position.

I came to this conclusion after constantly hearing shooters stage their guns and ask:

"what's my line?"

"where are my hands?"

"What's the starting position?"

I've always been a fan of a short story for the stage and a start line.  It seems the story part has fallen by the wayside in recent years.  Luckily, the start lines are still here.  For me, CAS without some type of Cowboy line to start the action would lose a lot of it's flavor.  Kind of like eliminating the costume requirements and stage fronts.  Just plinking with guns.  There's nothing wrong with plinking.  It just doesn't feel Cowboy.

That's my .02

Angus

For my annuals - I always had a SHORT story (my rule was THREE lines or shorter) the story simply exists to convey a "feeling", say something humerous or set a mood - not to emulate a Tom Clancy novel.

And at THREE lines - they would almost always get read.

As for starting lines - I'm a big proponent of "requiring" a starting line (even if the line is shooters ready).

This line signifies to the timer and posse that the shooter is taking ownership of the stage and is prepared to engage AND it keeps the timer operator quiet and out of the way until the shooter is prepared.

In the absence of any line or action - the shooter can be left hanging waiting on a timer who isn't sure the shooter is ready.

Or the timer can distract the shooter by questioning their readiness before the shooter has settled in.

TL: DR

Annuals are about ambiance - have a short story and a clever (non required) line.

Monthlies - at minimum require a line signifying shooter ready.

Usually I can't remember the line by the time I'm ready to shoot, especially if its a long one or a quote from a movie I haven't seen (yet). By then, I've spotted and / or picked brass that I completely forgot what the line was, unless it's written on a sign off to the side somewhere. Otherwise I'll either say "I'm ready" , ask the TO "what's the line?" or will come up with something witty / funny on the spot related to the stage / match theme.

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Ready. With less help and fewer people writing scenarios, those of us that still work for a living don't have time to add stories, themes, and start lines.

I'm not picking at you - but I commonly see this refrain.

We don't have enough help; so we cannot have...

Themes, starting lines, a website, scores posted, etc., etc., and so on.

There are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week and generally at least 30 days in a month. 

With most clubs shooting once a month - some place in that 700+ hours between matches - there's time to watch one western and write down 6 starting lines.

From Unforgiven:

"We all got it coming"

"I dont deserve this; I'm building a house"

"He  shoulda armed himself"

"That you? The duck of death?"

"I'm here to kill you, Little Bill"

"I've  killed everything that walks upon this Earth"

From Toy Story

"Theres a snake in my boot"

"They've poisoned the watering hole"

" You are a TOY"

"Andys coming"

"I found my moving buddy"

"Buzz Lightyear to star command"

I have found "we dont have time" is usually code for "we just dont want to"

12 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

There are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week and generally at least 30 days in a month. 

With most clubs shooting once a month - some place in that 700+ hours between matches - there's time to watch one western and write down 6 starting lines.

From Unforgiven:

"We all got it coming"

From Toy Story

" You are a TOY"

"Andys coming"

I don't really want to write a start line. Ready works for me. Others make up their own lines, which is ok. 

I also work full time, and have a part time job. Computers aren't my thing, I despise them. And, I have to use them at work. My home computer is basically for correspondence, I don't have any of the Microsoft programs or apps, whatever they are called

If someone wants nice targets, knockdowns, or something built I'll take care of it in my spare time.

In this region folks want to shoot and go home, pretty much no frills. It's shooting competition, not cowboy Barbie.

Start lines went away at monthlies about 15 years back.

I don't know what Toy Story is, I've seen Unforgiven. Someone had a match with Blazing Saddles as a theme, never saw it and the match made no sense.

24 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

From Unforgiven:

"We all got it coming"

From Toy Story

" You are a TOY"

"Andys coming"

Each Super Human Volunteer that does about 99.7% of the required Club functions at many SASS clubs has their own restrictions...some not only do the Stage writings, but also goes out and drags around a bunch of steel, tables, props...then writes the stages as best they can...then sends out emails reminding folks about the monthly, collects monies...collects scores and submit them to their website...oh, then they have a family that requires some level of interfacing...and then there's that damn thing called a job that sometimes requires Homework...

If some of these folks that bitch about no Stories or Lines would get off their fat be-hinds and help, then maybe some of these clubs would have Stories, Lines...and a whole host of other niceties.

Please remove the Soapbox from beneath my feet...

Phantom

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

I don't really want to write a start line. 

That's a fair answer.

I will never debate your "right" to write stages any way you please - I just prefer folks say, "I don't like them", or "They're stupid" or "I dont think they're needed" instead of saying " Theres not enough time"

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If some of these folks that bitch about no Stories or Lines would get off their fat be-hinds and help, then maybe some of these clubs would have Stories, Lines...and a whole host of other niceties.

20 years of 18 stages a month plus two annual matches each year.

Managing websites for both clubs.

Setting steel, building, fixing, painting.

And working full time, raising a daughter and still having a social life.

I feel fully justified in stating there's time "IF" folks feel its important.

3 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

That's a fair answer.

I will never debate your "right" to write stages any way you please - I just prefer folks say, "I don't like them", or "They're stupid" or "I dont think they're needed" instead of saying " Theres not enough time"

I don't have a social life, except for going to a few shooting events each month. Nor, do I have a daughter. I haven't the foggiest idea how to manage a website, we have Hamley for that. Folks don't complain about lack of start lines. Never gave it much thought, less is more when writing scenarios. Start lines are optional, same with starting on L or R targets. I'm no longer fully consumed with CAS, I was for a long time. However, I write the best stages I can think up with the most movement. 

Archived