SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne changed

Trigger Mike

Mississippi has a shotgun.  That’s the difference

He also told Jimmy Stewart in Liberty Valance to hold a pistol loosely in his hand and in Rio Bravo he carried his rifle with the hammer back over a live round.  They're  just Hollywood's ideas of establishing an actor's familiarity and expertise with firearms.

22 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Still haven't figured out why he loaded only three cartridges for three bad guys at the end of Stagecoach...

I think they only trust actors with as many blanks as they're going to fire in a scene.  

29 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

I think they only trust actors with as many blanks as they're going to fire in a scene.  

Virgil Cole reloaded immediately every time he fired a round in the Appaloosa series.

Ringo supposedly shot all his ammo at the Apaches.

But when Curly uncuffed him, he said, "I been holding out on you, Curly. I kept three." Then he took his hat off, and had three rounds stashed up in the crown.

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Ringo supposedly shot all his ammo at the Apaches.

But when Curly uncuffed him, he said, "I been holding out on you, Curly. I kept three." Then he took his hat off, and had three rounds stashed up in the crown.

That's a better explanation than mine.  But I do remember a scene in a WWII/zombie movie (yes, that's what i said) where a GI shot one person and threatened the others, who willingly complied with his orders, not wishing to be shot also.  His 1911 was locked open.  :)

17 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Still haven't figured out why he loaded only three cartridges for three bad guys at the end of Stagecoach...

That was all he had left from the big chase. And he held those back on purpose. Stored in his hat.

Rex , who has seen Stagecoach about 40 times. :lol:

Dang , that's what I get for not reading the whole thread first before chiming in.:P

On 7/28/2020 at 2:05 PM, Trigger Mike said:

in El Dorado he insisted that Mississippi draw and shoot fast and accurate.   

In The Shootist he let mr Rogers take steady and slow and accurate aim before shooting.   

In "El Dorado" Cole Thornton was doing the training.

In "The Shootist", John Bernard Books was doing the training.

33 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

And he still couldn't hit crap with it!

JHC:lol:

In the climactic gun battle at the end of the movie, he hit Cole.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

The bullets were obviously loose in his hat and when he took his hat off the bullets never fell out.  He then stuck his closed hand into the hat but, didn't scoop any bullets and just lifted his closed hand back out of the hat and then opened it and presto, 3 bullets.  He had the bullets in his closed fist before he took off his hat.

Archived