SASS Wire Forum

Choosing a Personal Defense Handgun

bgavin

What are the thoughts on a personal defense hand gun?

I have Ruger DA revolvers, GP100 and SP101 in 357 mag.
These seem sort of "slow" compared to the various pistols, in a fast defensive scenario.
That guy in Austin who defended himself from the soy boy with the AK-47 comes to mind.

9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP or ?
I learned as a kid on my Dad's 1911, have zero experience with 9 or 10mm.

Could possibly do double duty as a wild bunch gun.

Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the PRK, so model and magazine capacities have CA limits.

I understand the Dan Wesson 1911 are quality products.
My son-in-law (Navy EOD) has multiple Sig 9mm both on the job and at home.

For personal defense, I have a CZ-85A.  It’s like the CZ-75 model, but for lefties.  It holds 16 rounds, plus one.  But, it’s too heavy that way, so the magazine is only half loaded.

15 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I understand the Dan Wesson 1911 are quality products.

I really like my Dan Wesson Guardian. It is a very well built 1911, but for defense I don't use it. It's fully capable in that role I just don't want to surrender it to a cop if I have to use it. For defense I have to say look at a Glock. Reliable, affordable and no big deal if it sits in evidence for a couple years.

The firearm you know the best and that you feel most comfortable with, and coupled with a good measure of common sense, is the best firearm for you to use for self protection.  The “average” gunfight lasts 5-6 seconds (maybe), and only 3-4 rounds are fired.   OH!  The ACTUAL best firearm for an unexpected gunfight is the one you get your hands on quickly!

A major confrontation means a high capacity handgun with 2-3 magazines, or an AR with two, 20 or 30 around magazines (imagine your surprise, running out of ammo!)  Those will be a surprise to you, but not to the rat who comes after you, so be prepared!

Cat Brules 

I have lots of options for carry. My preferred one is Sig P226 Legion in .40 or .357 sig, just swap barrels. Unless I am in the woods and more concerned with bears than 2 legged critters, then I prefer a .45, Sig P220 or the "can't go wrong with" a 1911.

I carry a S&W J-frame airweight with concealed hammer. 

It is light, reliable, and sufficiently powerful to do what’s needed. 

And I’ve fired so many thousands of rounds through it over the years that it’s as natural as pointing a finger and saying Bang. 

Reliability and confidence in the weapon. 

I have two semi's that meet the above criteria for me for concealed carry.  A Sig Sauer P238 in .380 Auto and a S&W Shield in 9mm.  The Shield is easily my first choice.

For personal home and in the car/motel travel defense, I trust my two .45 Colt revolvers.  A S&W Model 625-9 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt and a S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Colt.

Sig Sauer P238 in .380 Auto.

mJH4lP.jpg

N2XGvh.jpg

S&W Shield in 9mm.

da8Jel.jpg

jSvZ3l.jpg

S&W Model 625-9 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt

3PBvap.jpg

GvfcxQ.jpg

S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Colt

8fz6yU.jpg

4rXoi1.jpg

Any compact black plastic pistol from a major manufacturer in 9mm will serve you well. They’re all about the same 

45 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

The firearm you know the best and that you feel most comfortable with, and coupled with a good measure of common sense, is the best firearm for you to use for self protection.  The “average” gunfight lasts 5-6 seconds (maybe), and only 3-4 rounds are fired. ..................................................

Cat Brules 

+1

Howdy,

Apart from caliber consider adding a laser that allows you to point in the

very near dark.  Take a walk across a friends farm at dusk with a laser 

equipped handgun, point it, tap the laser switch and move the little red dot.

Without looking thru the sights you have a good idea where a bullet

would hit if you pull the trigger.

Say you were being approached by a coyote, that laser would sure up the odds

of hitting the critter.

Laser. Think about it.

Best

CR

Others have said it.  Reliability, familiarity, capacity, caliber, conceal-ability.  They all matter to varying degrees with different people.  For me the ability to conceal is least important and reliability is first, closely followed by familiarity and caliber. 

I've been shooting 1911s for over 40 years, they fit my hand like an extension of myself, so that's what I carry.  Open carry is legal in Georgia, with a license, so I don't worry to much if I occasionally print or flash. 

In a perfect world I would have a phalanx of bodyguards armed with ARs, shotguns, rocket launchers, etc.  Until that happens I'll make do with a 1911.

There are lots of thoughts on the answer to that question. Sort through them till you find one you think will work for you.

Here in the PRK and Sacramento County, a CCW permit is not at all likely, and CA is not an open carry state.
With that in mind, I keep a pair of 12-gauge loaded with #1 buck for the home.
This is the first year, in 70, I have done this for the July 4th holiday.

My thoughts for a handgun are along the line of something to use if 12-gauge cannot be used.
A tiny size isn't mandatory for me, as I won't be carrying.
Reliability is a strong #1.  Stopping power is #2.
My GP100 in 357 has both, but DA is just not as "fast" as a semi.

As to losing a Dan Wesson to an evidence locker.. if I ever have to actually use it, CA will destroy me in court, and everything I own will be gone.

Thanks to all for excellent suggestions.

2things will you shoot it will you carry it. Carrying a gun you won’t shoot because it’s comfortable carrying but uncomfortable to shoot is worthless because be unfamiliar how it works and where it shoots. A gun you will shoot but uncomfortable to carry you leave at home. My philosophy is shoot what you carry carry what you shoot. 

Since this is a house gun instead of a carry gun, then the question is, "What do you shoot well?"  No need to compromise due to the need to conceal a gun.  Find a full sized gun that you shoot well and go with it.

A DA revolver can be shot as fast as a semi auto.  All it takes is practice.  Mechanically, the revolver should be faster since there's less movement of the parts to cycle between the shots.

47 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

In a perfect world I would have a phalanx of bodyguards armed with ARs, shotguns, rocket launchers, etc.  Until that happens I'll make do with a 1911.

A dozen or so retired Gurkha NCO's would do the trick.  Maybe a couple retired SAS or Special Operations troops thrown in just for variety.

Until I win the lottery, I guess I'll just have to continue carrying my own.

If you're talking about home defense that's one thing, if you're talking about a CCW that's another animal.  For home a pump action shotgun will get their attention the minute you pump in a round.  The other school of thought is something that won't do as much damage due to rounds hitting nearby homes.  You'd have to evaluate your situation and decide.

For CCW whatever you get practice, practice, practice.  In a real life situation you have to rely on training, "if you think too long it'll be too late".  Personally a Sig or a Glock are my go to for everyday carry and I make sure that both have the same operating controls, nothing worse than pulling the trigger only to find you forgot the external safety.

My thoughts are that this is a very open ended question that needs a lot of qualifying questions answered before you can get a really good answer.  As we're seeing with the number of variation of the replies here.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I carry a S&W J-frame airweight with concealed hammer. 

It is light, reliable, and sufficiently powerful to do what’s needed. 

And I’ve fired so many thousands of rounds through it over the years that it’s as natural as pointing a finger and saying Bang. 

That’s what I carry of course for the house I have several .357’s In various areas and a shotgun In the basement!

BGavin,

Find a range that rents guns near you and try out some different guns. What works for me may. It work for you. Personally, if my choice was a 1911 vs a good revolver, I would pick the revolver. But, I would recommend a Glock for what you are asking. If you lose a Glock to the state after a shooting you are out around $500-600. Buy a used one and you are out less. If you like .45 ACP try a Glock 21. 10 rounds of .45 will shiver somebody’s timbers pretty darn good. If you wish less recoil try a Glock 17 9mm. 

Oops...forgot about the Glock 19 and the 26. In CA they are limited to 10 rounds. They are 9 mm. The 26, which normally holds 10, is compact. It is wide but short in length and height. 

I carry 1911s.  Have since 1984.  I've got 10 or so of them.  I've got 9mm, 10mm, and 45 ACP.  I have a Sig Nightmare in 357 Sig on layaway right now.  I carry Springfield Armory, Colt, Ruger and Dan Wesson.  

They're usually backed up with a Sig P938, or a S&W 642.  When I'm on duty, throw a SBR AR-15 with 5 30 rounds mags and a 20 round mag of 62 grain soft point .223 into the equation.   At home, there is a shotgun within short travel pretty much anywhere in my house.  

Go to shops and see what feels good to you.  Shoot some buddies guns.   The best gun is the one you already have and are familiar with.

In town I carry a Ruger LCR 38 spl. with +P rounds. On the trail and in the woods, I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spl.

Both are lightweight revolvers with easy pocket carry. Many good arguments may favor semi-autos with their higher capacity, but I like the total ease and reliability of revolvers, and that choice suits me.

My two choices:

Working gun:  Walther P99 in .40 S&W

Dress gun:  Para Slim Hawg in .45 ACP

Why?  They fit my small hands and never fail to fire.

I also have a Sig P238 that I'm considering as a Summer gun; I just have not shot it enough yet to be comfortable with it.

IMG_0700.jpg

walther-p99.jpg

23 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of these wheelguns. And nobody will deny that the 357 can speak for itself in a fight. 

Yep, fully agree with that.
My sole thought about a pistol vs revolver, is the pistol is a faster shooter in a dire emergency.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Here in the PRK and Sacramento County, a CCW permit is not at all likely, and CA is not an open carry state.
With that in mind, I keep a pair of 12-gauge loaded with #1 buck for the home.
This is the first year, in 70, I have done this for the July 4th holiday.

My thoughts for a handgun are along the line of something to use if 12-gauge cannot be used.
A tiny size isn't mandatory for me, as I won't be carrying.
Reliability is a strong #1.  Stopping power is #2.
My GP100 in 357 has both, but DA is just not as "fast" as a semi.

As to losing a Dan Wesson to an evidence locker.. if I ever have to actually use it, CA will destroy me in court, and everything I own will be gone.

Thanks to all for excellent suggestions.

You should check out ccw permits in Sacramento county if you want one. Unless somethings changed real recently many residents have them. Most rural counties are pretty easy. LA, San Francisco,  Marin, Santa Barbara and some others virtually impossible to get. I realize Sac county is not one of the small rural counties but they have given out many.

21 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

You should check out ccw permits in Sacramento county if you want one. Unless somethings changed real recently many residents have them. Most rural counties are pretty easy. LA, San Francisco,  Marin, Santa Barbara and some others virtually impossible to get. I realize Sac county is not one of the small rural counties but they have given out many.

Don’t you have to be a resident of the county?

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Yep, fully agree with that.
My sole thought about a pistol vs revolver, is the pistol is a faster shooter in a dire emergency.

They are both pistols.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

;)

Archived