SASS Wire Forum

1866 uberti hammer not cocking

Bald Eagle

Early this year I fitted a Pioneer rollerbearing Mainspring to my 66.

since the it often seems to no lock the hammer back when working the lever ( about 30% of the time)

it still loads properly but hammer needs to be revolved to fire

last night I took the stock off and I could see the pin in the mainspring system had created a groove in the woodwork.

strange thing is it doesn’t do it all the time 

any suggestions re what might be causing it 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Moderator Edit*

Just to make the original post more clear:

Early this year I got a roller bearing Main spring fitted to my 66.

since then, it often seems to not lock the hammer back when working the lever ( about 30% of the time)

It still loads properly but hammer needs to be revolved [manually pulled back] to fire

Last night I took the stock off and I could see the pin in the mainspring system had created a groove in the woodwork.

Strange thing is it doesn’t do it all the time 

Any suggestions re what might be causing it?

Is this a '66 with a lot of rounds (wear) through it?

Could be the notch that holds the hammer back has just worn down..

I had a '66 that done this after years of shooting..

I reworked the notch and it got rid of the hammer locking problem..

Rance;)

Thinkin' I ain't a gunsmith:huh:

Bald Eagle,

I'm making the assumption that you've replaced your main spring with a coil spring assembly. On one of my 73' I added a Pioneer coil spring kit, the stock had to be shaved in areas to make the kit work and fit.

If this is what you are saying, it's quit possible that your stock needs to be fitted to the spring kit to allow enough clearance for the spring to travel to it's full length. If it's catching 30% of the time it's likely only a bit of material needs to be removed. 

In other words is your lever able to open fully on each stroke allowing the sear to catch on the hammer notch? When you remove the stock and lever the gun, does the hammer catch every time it's levered? If so the stock is the problem and needs material removed.

Tully

5 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Bald Eagle,

I'm making the assumption that you've replaced your main spring with a coil spring assembly. On one of my 73' I added a Pioneer coil spring kit, the stock had to be shaved in areas to make the kit work and fit.

If this is what you are saying, it's quit possible that your stock needs to be fitted to the spring kit to allow enough clearance for the spring to travel to it's full length. If it's catching 30% of the time it's likely only a bit of material needs to be removed. 

In other words is your lever able to open fully on each stroke allowing the sear to catch on the hammer notch? When you remove the stock and lever the gun, does the hammer catch every time it's levered? If so the stock is the problem and needs material removed.

Tully

Thanks Tully, yes i did this last night and it was, funny thing is the lever seems to work ok even before i did it, ie loads fuine, lifter travels peoperly, just hammer doesnt always stay cocked. Have altered wood so will test fire in the weekend

3 hours ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

More than likely, Bald Eagle was a victim of the dreaded "Auto Correct" that sometimes attacks unwary Smartphone users.

I posted an edit to the original to help the thread along.

thanks, hard enough to see what im typing on a phone, and damn auto correct, appreciete the help

5 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Is this a '66 with a lot of rounds (wear) through it?

Could be the notch that holds the hammer back has just worn down..

I had a '66 that done this after years of shooting..

I reworked the notch and it got rid of the hammer locking problem..

Rance;)

Thinkin' I ain't a gunsmith:huh:

thanks reece, yes that is the next step, bt trying not to pull it completely apart although the old girl could probably do with that, its seen a fair amount of work, and i shoot BP so maybe should pull down and give a birthday clean 

Bald Eagle,

Does the hammer lock into place if you bring it back with your thumb? The sear and hammer notch are ok? If so check to see if the firing pin extension might be to short or under cut or reshaped to a point it's not pushing the hammer back far enough to lock it into position.

With the lever fully open, pull the hammer back a bit, does it now lock?

Tully

Bolts can wear in the receiver and allow it more upward motion than when new, causing it to not cock the hammer fully. The easiest way to fix this is to shorten the trigger sear a bit. Something else to look at.

Eagle,

Just a thought, but you should send a note to Pioneer about this.  They are good folks and very responsive.  Joe's son spent a long time on the phone with me a few years ago helping me out with a problem.  An email to them explaining the situation might help you out with your problem.

Tex

Bald Eagle if you're shooting BP the old girl deserves a cleaning :ph34r:.  You may find that some of the issues might be just a build up of crud.  Hope everything down in Kiwi land is good.  I spent a little time myself in Cheech.

11 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I had the same problem and it was the sear.

It just needed reprofiling (took a GS about 5 min).

Also.. 

Lever the gun to cock the hammer..

Now push the hammer forward hard with your thumb..

If it closes?? Probably sear work..

Rance ;)

Still ain't a gunsmith tho:huh:

On 7/29/2020 at 10:28 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

Bald Eagle if you're shooting BP the old girl deserves a cleaning :ph34r:.  You may find that some of the issues might be just a build up of crud.  Hope everything down in Kiwi land is good.  I spent a little time myself in Cheech.

yep, wouldnt be surprised if it needs a good clean.

things going ok, covid stopped a oot of shooting but we just had the North island champs with over 80 shooters

On 7/29/2020 at 8:23 AM, Tully Mars said:

Bald Eagle,

Does the hammer lock into place if you bring it back with your thumb? The sear and hammer notch are ok? If so check to see if the firing pin extension might be to short or under cut or reshaped to a point it's not pushing the hammer back far enough to lock it into position.

With the lever fully open, pull the hammer back a bit, does it now lock?

Tully

thanks, ill try that tonight when home

Bald Eagle,

Lots of good advice here.  I also put the Coil Spring Kit in my 1866.  Followed the directions and removed quite a bit of wood from the stock to get the required clearance.  If you don't have the instructions they are available, along with a video, on the Pioneer web site.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Also.. 

Lever the gun to cock the hammer..

Now push the hammer forward hard with your thumb..

If it closes?? Probably sear work..

Rance ;)

Still ain't a gunsmith tho:huh:

Thanks, but tested that last night, doesnt close, in fact think you could hit it with a Hammer (i didnt) and it wouldnt close, pretty sure issue was wood not letting mainspring move all the way (enough to work action but not enough to engage sear)

15 hours ago, Crusty said:

Bald Eagle,

Lots of good advice here.  I also put the Coil Spring Kit in my 1866.  Followed the directions and removed quite a bit of wood from the stock to get the required clearance.  If you don't have the instructions they are available, along with a video, on the Pioneer web site.

I did have the instructions and gave them to my gunsmith, appears he didnt follow last bit of advice about removing wood

15 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

thanks, ill try that tonight when home

Tested last night, when lever is worked enough to load chamber, hammer is completely back and locked into place.

It appears the sisue was wood not letting mainspring move all the way (enough to work action but not enough to engage sear)

have corrected that, will be testing in the weekend at the rnage (but seems to work of in workshop with live rounds and dummies

Archived