SASS Wire Forum

re-painting targets

Bugler

Was asked about this by a .36 caliber cap and ball shooter....."Can a shooter request the targets be re-painted so as to ensure that hits are easily distinguished"?

Cannot find anything on Manuals that answers that.

What do you all say?

Bugler

I would say the shooter should ask the match director before they start the match.

On some ranges it would not be practical.

I shoot one club at which,for at least one of the matches, we paint after every shooter. We have to go downrange anyway to reset the shotgun targets. With someone going to rifle targets and someone to pistol targets it doesn't take any longer than to just reset the shotgun.

One club locally does so at its matches.  They shoot in bays so going downrange is safe.  It does not slow the match and makes scoring more reliable.  

38 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

One club locally does so at its matches.  They shoot in bays so going downrange is safe.  It does not slow the match and makes scoring more reliable.  

Can't saying anything about your specific situation, but to say it wouldn't slow a match I find incredibly hard to believe. It's hard enough to keep people in the normal job duties of a posse. To add another function (painting targets), would make the job of keeping the posse running even harder!

I've run a lot of posses and I don't think I've ever seen painting targets take equal or less time then resetting standard shotgun targets.

And you're telling folks here that it doesn't slow a posse down??

Phantom

We send two to three painters downrange along with those setting up shotgun targets.  For a small posse of say ten shooters one would not have enough workers.  With larger posses it does work.  Fortunately that club does not have many slackers and painting is done before the brass is picked up.  With too many slackers or a small posse I would not paint after each shooter.  You are right - every situation is different.

We're getting away with not painting the targets from match to match.  We have to store our targets in locked job boxes.  Getting them all out and painting them, waiting for them to dry, them putting them back is a lot of work - especially in the heat of the summer. Nobody complained about shooting at shot up targets.

Show up early, paint all the targets, then always be the first shooter.

If the same bay is reused for another stage then be ready once the previous stage is done and get "down range" and paint.

I appreciate those who ALWAYS are WORKING and do not mind the 30-60 seconds wait between stages for you to paint.

Take ownership of the issue.

We usually had 18-20 on a posse.

When shooter left the line 1 spotter went to shotgun, 1 went with spray can to pistol, and 1 went to rifle with spray can. 10 quick sprays from each and they were on their way back usually before the shotguns were reset.

Guess we just have good workers.:rolleyes:

The club Ringer refers to does this pretty often.  He's right, the painters are usually done before the knockdown targets are reset.  About the only issue is that sometimes the targets are still a little sticky when it's time to pick them up at the end of the match.  Works well for us.

1 hour ago, Ringer said:

We usually had 18-20 on a posse.

When shooter left the line 1 spotter went to shotgun, 1 went with spray can to pistol, and 1 went to rifle with spray can. 10 quick sprays from each and they were on their way back usually before the shotguns were reset.

Guess we just have good workers.:rolleyes:

How do you manage loading and unloading table activities?   We just have open tables and must call "cold range" to go down range.

3 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

How do you manage loading and unloading table activities?   We just have open tables and must call "cold range" to go down range.

Our loading and unloading tables are off to the sides at 90* to the firing line ,facing the side berms, much like EOT.

Unfortunately, this is something that a traditional Navy .36 shooter must deal with.  The best thing he/she can do is tell the TO what he is shooting so the spotters can be more attentive.

Sure you can request it but that doesnt mean it will happen.  Ask if you can repaint it yourself before you shoot and you might have better luck, bit I doubt it. 

Ive shot a couple matches where it was done. Your not repainting the entire target each time just a couple small spots.   The ones I went to used spray paint and the painter generally was done and back behind the line before  the brass pickers.  One thing of note.  These were big close targets. A match with sass recommend distances would add time

I can't seem to paint anything without getting it on my hands.  I really don't want to transfer paint to my guns or cowboy clothes.  Painting between shooters is not really practical.  Not to mention the extra cost of paint to the club.  We use spray paint and that would add several more cans of paint to the cost of the match.

Ranges that have a common firing line may find re-painting between shooters impractical.

Went to a regional with a common firing line last year that painted before the start of each flight.

I have been to some 'major' matches that paint between each posse. Those had had individual berms for each stage.

IMO, at a minimum, they should be painted at least at the beginning of the day, no matter if it is a monthly or what. 

Set up dedicated video cameras, capable of capturing hits on the targets.

if any dispute or question, run back the video and enlarge to see hits or no hits.

It will only cost the same as maybe 3000 cans of spray paint, to install cameras and related video equipment for each of the six stages, but what the heck.  Right?  :wacko: :huh:

Cat Brules

31 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

if any dispute or question, run back the video and enlarge to see hits or no hits.

It will only cost the same as maybe 3000 cans of spray paint, to install cameras and related video equipment for each of the six stages, but what the heck.  Right?  :wacko: :huh:

Cat Brules

Well come on now. You of all people should know that videos can not be used in making/disputing/etc calls.

Phantom

Had no idea response would be this spirited!

Bugler

I shoot 36 caliber C&B once or twice a season and know there will be some missed calls if all spotters are just listening to a ring with a hit. The conical bullets that I now use are a little more pronounced ring wise but if shooting 36’s makes you worry about misses then just switch to 44’s and forget about missed calls. I enjoy shooting my 36’s and a miss or two is no big deal. I have tried to inform the spotters I am shooting 36’s and could not tell if it helped or not.  If you shoot C&B revolvers it is just part of the game along with cap jams and smoke clouds covering the next target. I would not ask for a fresh paint in a match but that is my take on shooting percussion revolvers. DC

:FlagAm: Many a year ago at an OWSA match at the Whittington Center in Raton, NM., there was a very well known and competitive shooter on another posse that insisted that the targets be repainted at every stage before he would shoot the stage.  We all were amazed at his aura of importance.  Afterwards, he was sent a "trophy" that had a can of spray paint as part of the trophy.  I have been told he never has returned.

Chas B:lol:

Paint for one, paint for all. It's hard enough to get the usual posse duties done between shooters without adding painting. It's not unusual to repaint targets after the posse is done with a stage, but it still takes time and every posse needs to do it.

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

SHB pg 25

The  CRO/TO  must  remain  completely  objective, consider  the  facts  and  evidence  as  it  is,  and  must  be  prepared  to  discuss  the  details addressing  any  questions  the  shooter  may  have.    Recorded  video/audio  or  photographic  data will  never  be  allowed  to  be  presented  as  evidence  in  either  regard.    Remember:  The  benefit of  any  doubt  always  goes  to  the  shooter.

We paint pistol and rifle targets before the start of the match, but no longer paint the shotgun targets.

We use a mix of shotgun "swingers" hung from the top of the bracket, self-setting targets we call "Jeromes* ", (after the maker), and knockdowns.

Our knockdowns are reset-able by pull ropes located at the firing line. 

We designate brass pickers and target resetters for each shooter/stage and share the duties around.

* Our Jeromes consist of a 12 X 12 steel plate, welded at one end to a pivoting rod, protected by some angle steel, the welded to a steel frame.

The pivoting rod is set in a cup at the bottom and inside a ring at the top. The ring is welded to the angle steel protecting the pivot rod.

Hit squarely with a shotgun charge, even a .410 buckaroo can make it swing around to present the other side of the target. 

43 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Many clubs will paint the targets for the next posse.

OLG 

Seen that plenty of times at large matches. 

Just don't paint the damn shotgun targets.

Archived