SASS Wire Forum

Ultimate Outlaw

Just wanted to see if anyone out there is shooting ALL targets from the hip or what some call instinct shooting.  The rules of Outlaw shooting (on the Oak Ridge Outlaws forum) state that only the rifle can be shot aiming.  Personally, I shoot Ultimate Outlaw gunfighter style though other styles are acceptable. Although Outlaw shooting is not recognized as a SASS category, a lot of shooters especially in the southeast engage this form of shooting.  Very few shooters around here (I know of one other shooter)  shoot what I call Ultimate Outlaw where ALL guns are shot from the hip with arms bent.  I consider this the most challenging category in shooting CAS unless you want to add black powder in the mix. If you engage in this form of shooting or know of someone in your area,  please let me know on this thread.

...Too Tall...

Jimmie Gunfighter in GA shoots his rifle from the hip, he’s pretty good at it too. I’d miss at least 8 or 9 if I try that. 

Kajun

Me, Jimmie and Cactus Red had a little Ultimate match going at Black Gold.

Lots of fun.

Loose Cinch in NC seems to be the EPICENTER of shooting rifle from the hip.

I don't really care for it much as the spent shells tend to hit me in the face.

I have enough trouble concentrating on hitting the targets without having to duck incoming flying objects.

2 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Me, Jimmie and Cactus Red had a little Ultimate match going at Black Gold.

Lots of fun.

Loose Cinch in NC seems to be the EPICENTER of shooting rifle from the hip.

I don't really care for it much as the spent shells tend to hit me in the face.

I have enough trouble concentrating on hitting the targets without having to duck incoming flying objects.

And how about Cinch's shotgun!

Jimmie has a SG like it too.

I tried it but didn't care for it.

The stock helps me stabilize.

The one shooter that I didn't name in the original post was Loose Cinch.  I have never met Waimea or seen him shoot but remember now that he does shoot Ultimate Outlaw.  We have a few shooters around here that occasionally shoot Ultimate Outlaw but not on a regular basis like me.  I tell them that if you are aiming you are still in training! :rolleyes:

...Too Tall..

18 minutes ago, Marshal Too Tall, SASS #36690 said:

The one shooter that I didn't name in the original post was Loose Cinch.  I have never met Waimea or seen him shoot but remember now that he does shoot Ultimate Outlaw.  We have a few shooters around here that occasionally shoot Ultimate Outlaw but not on a regular basis like me.  I tell them that if you are aiming you are still in training! :rolleyes:

...Too Tall..

I only shoot Ultimate when I am shamed into it.

That's difficult as, generally, I have no shame.

:lol:

Another Ultimate Outlaw is Dirt Road Dude in Alabama. Always fun to watch! But Loose Cinch wins the style points.

I have been shooting shotgun from the hip since 2000 and the rifle for about 4 or more years. I shot pistols from the hip for a while but felt sorry for the counters so don't do It to often now. 

Rifle brass will go down the shirt or hit me in the face at times. I haven't come up with a fix yet. 

Silver Rings 

We have had interest in it for many years and offer it as a category at our matches.  We usually have at least 3 outlaws at our state match.  It's becoming more popular all the time, especially with seasoned shooters that are looking for something new to try.  I think we only have one that shoots all his guns from the hip.  We are one of the few clubs that allow hip shooting, too.

Frankly, I'm surprised as to how few shooters engage in Ultimate Outlaw as I call it.  We are apparently a rare group that has too much fun!  I have heard others complaining about brass hitting them in the face, but not me for some reason.  I guess it depends on the angle of ejection or how I hold the rifle.  I also have to admit that Loose Cinch with his double cocking earns style points in my book.

...Too Tall...

The brass doesn't hit Loose Cinch in the face, but then, he's about 6' 5".      Too Tall on the other side is...well, he's not quite 6' 5".

I can't carry enough shotgun shells to hip shoot a stage.  Maybe I need an extra belt full.   :lol: 

By the way, if you think shooting Ultimate Outlaw is near impossible to clean a match....think again.  Not to toot my horn, but I have shot many clean matches.  Of couse the most difficult targets are small and far away and shot with the rifle.  I think the stage writers around here like to set those up just for me!  :rolleyes:

...Too Tall...

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

I practice on setup day but haven't shot a match yet due to covid-19. Here is a link to a few videos.

What's that grey stuff on your face?

You stocked up on Nathan's yet?

Look forward to seeing you back at it.

Covid beard. Got a new fan powered cart AKA sweat stopper. No room for Nathan's but I do eat them regularly. Looking forward to seeing you too. Had planned on showing up at Dark Days in January to watch you defend your title but might be too soon the way things are going. Maybe Ides. 

PXL_20201104_224147742.jpg

Y'all should remember that Yazzoo City Gal was shooting Ultimate Outlaw before most EVERYONE else!!

45 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Y'all should remember that Yazzoo City Gal was shooting Ultimate Outlaw before most EVERYONE else!!

And her double is crazy fast!

She's my hero.

Waimea

(Tried a double once. Makes a great tomato stake)

4 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Covid beard. Got a new fan powered cart AKA sweat stopper. No room for Nathan's but I do eat them regularly. Looking forward to seeing you too. Had planned on showing up at Dark Days in January to watch you defend your title but might be too soon the way things are going. Maybe Ides. 

PXL_20201104_224147742.jpg

Aw new cart.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, Palmetto Traveler said:

Doc Who out of Columbia, SC has been doing that as well.

Got to shoot with Doc Who at the Ides. Impressive. Worth the price of admission to watch him. Told him that he was my new hero.

I've been playing with outlaw a lot more lately... all guns from the hip.    I even shot speed rifle that way at regionals a few runs.  Shouldered was about 2 seconds fasted 

Archived