SASS Wire Forum

Greyhound

Has anyone seen Greyhound... based on C S Forester's The Good Shepherd?  

I thought the book was excellent.

I watched it a few days back. Went through the process of setting up Apple tv so I could.

I liked it a lot. Short, authentic, and to the point. We're getting war movies lately, like Midway and Greyhound, that don't have romantic subplots and similar distractions, but are just about the battles.

The above clip strings several scenes together. 

Well worth watching.

The film clip is pretty exciting.  It looks like a good one to watch.

Cat Brules

It was decent as far as entertainment goes. 90 minutes of pretty much continuous battle scenes. Good CGI.

Much of the the interior footage was shot aboard the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge. 

I’d recommend it. I’d also like to hear from somebody knowledgeable of ASW tactics of the era to see how accurate it is.

24 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Apple TV?

Something I do not have and which I am very unlikely to spring for.

I'll wait for the DVD, scheduled to be released sometime in the second half of September.

It's based on The Good Shepherd, a mid-1950s C.S. Forester novel. He, of course, was the author of the Hornblower books. So it's fiction strictly speaking, but I've read it hews close to reality. The Good Shepherd was written within 10 years of the end of the War.

As  note by a pard above, the interior scenes were filmed on the USS Kidd, the last Fletcher-class destroyer still in original WWII configuration. The Greyhound would have been Mahan-class, though.

12 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It was decent as far as entertainment goes. 90 minutes of pretty much continuous battle scenes. Good CGI.

Much of the the interior footage was shot aboard the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge. 

I’d recommend it. I’d also like to hear from somebody knowledgeable of ASW tactics of the era to see how accurate it is.

Loading and launching  a torpedo in heavy seas was a very risky and dangerous  maneuver for the sub and crew. Plotting and targeting was extremely difficult. Plus, chances of success were low as the gyroscopes could be upset during its run. The chances of a ship spotting one under those conditions are even lower unless the torpedo broached (broke the surface). Broaching was bad for accuracy and bad for the sub because it also helped reveal its location. 

Most subs would have run and hid rather than take on a destroyer. The conditions shown in the clip gave the advantage to the sub for escape. 

Cargo ships in the Atlantic were preferred targets due to economic loss of cargo. Taking on a destroyer was akin to whacking a hornets nest with a stick. 

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Something I do not have and which I am very unlikely to spring for.

I'll wait for the DVD, scheduled to be released sometime in the second half of September.

Don’t even know what it is.

44 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Apple TV is Apples version of Roku. A device for streaming content thru your tv. Their content competes with all the others like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu which is often proprietary. 

Everything CrApple does is proprietary! I have a BlackBerry cell phone(yes they still make them) I got it off Amazon brand new in the box for under $300, and I don't have to worry about BlackBerry giving it a virus every time a new latest and greatest version comes out, like CrApple does! My wife doesn't believe me. I asked her why she thought her phone all of a sudden got "slower" conveniently when they were bringing out a new version. 

Off my soap box, back to the movie.

CS

I don't know from Roku, but I have a Roku because my daughter gave it to me. So she showed me how to use it with Netflix, Prime, etc. A few months ago. Came in handy during lockdown.

I wanted to see Greyhound. I asked her how to get Apple tv. She took me through the process on my Roku and I got it set up. That's all I know....

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you have a Roku device, you don’t need an Apple TV device. Unless you want to watch content that is exclusive to Apple. 

Like he said. If you have Roku, you can add Apple tv. First week free; $4.99 per month after.

Archived