SASS Wire Forum

Cookies, chewy vs crispy vs cakey

Several months ago there was a discussion of how to make cookies chewy. I mentioned that I had seen a table that described such methods. Alas I could not find the table.  Moments ago, I found the table.  Here ‘tis:  in the book The Perfect Cookie.

63474A05-E5F8-4095-AB3E-9B0976D69F22.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I like that it gives a bit of the difference between butter and shortening.  Just need to factor in margarine.

Thanks for that chart, saved to our recipe files.

Never use margarine!!  I won’t allow it in my house!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Never use margarine!!  I won’t allow it in my house!!

It sort of bridges the gap between shortening and butter.  A bit of water, some milk solids, and some flavoring is all that is between it and vegetable shortening.  Although I agree, I don't think I have bought margarine but once in the past 10 years, and that was for a recipe, I don't recall what, that made a point of saying to use MARGARINE and not butter, shortening, or lard.

Hmmm..
I just noticed that the chart doesn't address lard.

If you buy, or make, or are given, cookie that is hard as a brick, or crunchy, and you don't want it to be that way.  Put the cookie(s) In a container, with one or two slices of bread, put the lid on, and leave it overnight.  Later, the cookies will be soft, and the bread a brick.  The moistness of the bread will transfer to the cookies. 

Of course, whatever way you prefer a cookie, it is really great to bake them so they turn out the way you prefer, right out of the oven.  They taste better. 

But the bread technique will help, if you want a soft(er) one, and not a brick.

W.K.

Real LARD is the best thing to use in homemade biscuits.

Thats my opinion, anyway,

Cat abrules

42 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat abrules

And Tamales

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat abrules

Lard is the magic elixir of baking fats. How rendered pork fat can make things taste so light and perfect, I will never know. 

But it does, and that’s all that matters. 

My wife makes awesome chocolate chip cookies. Partway through the bake, she drops the pans so they flatten somewhat. She also removes them before they get dark or before you think they are done. Dark edges or darker color over the top means they will be crispy. I get to tell her how each batch comes out, it's a win-win. I love a warm, soft cc cookie. :wub:

Archived