Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cat Brules

Useless Facts (what’s yours?)

Recommended Posts

A group of hippos is called a bloat.

A male whale is called a bull.

A female whale is called a cow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pablo Escobar had a private zoo which included four hippos, who have now multiplied to at least 16.  It has not yet been decided whether they are a detriment to the environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was still a population of Wooly Mammoths alive when the pyramids were built in Egypt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Nothing rhymes with the word ORANGE

No it doesn't :) 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Newgrange (Co Meath, RI) passage tomb predates the pyramids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 7:47 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

 

Contrary to your thinking, this last bit of information is quite useful!!

 

For what?  By the time you figure out who to stay away from it's too late!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Nothing rhymes with the word ORANGE

 

Or silver or purple either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, punxsutawneypete said:

 

Or silver or purple either.

Or month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

 

Or silver or purple either.

curple

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some information that is probably useless to 99.99% of the population, but I made my living with it for 38 years:

 

Linear land measurements

 

1 rod = 1 perch = 1 pole = 16.5 feet

 

1 chain =  4 perches  = 66 feet = 100 links

 

1 link = .66 feet  = 8 inches

 

Area land measurements 

 

1 acre = 160 square perches = 43,560 square feet

 

40 square perches = 1/4 acre = 1 rood (not rod)

 

The old time measurements were found in recent deeds because older deeds were just copied over and over without being resurveyed.  I used to study the chains of title to real property that used these ancient types of measure in the deeds.  Because I was familiar with these old measurements it has been insinuated that I was George Washington's rod man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lebanon, Kansas ( pop 218) is the central location of the 48 states. 

 

 

KSLEBcenter_sydniko2_620x300.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

 

say Door hinge.

 

Best

CR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My home farm in West Texas  was on a labor of land  (Lah-Bore).   Originally part of the Yellowhouse Land Company that was derived from the XIT ranch when sold for farming.

A labor is ca. 177 acres and is about 1/25 of a league of land in the old Spanish measurement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A league is a measure of distance, nit area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Highwall said:

Lebanon, Kansas ( pop 218) is the central location of the 48 states. 

 

 

KSLEBcenter_sydniko2_620x300.jpg

Before they updated the original survey with benefit of GPS, it was a rest-stop on I-70 just west of Topeka. Pretty dad-gum good from an era of  sextants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

...from an era of  sextants.

 

Language! This is a family forum!

 

:D:P:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 4.5 billion years from now our galaxy, the Milky Way,  will collide with the galaxy Andromeda.

 

I hope to have my house paid off by then.

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

About 4.5 billion years from now our galaxy, the Milky Way,  will collide with the galaxy Andromeda.

 

I hope to have my house paid off by then.

 

 

I’m stocking up up on ammo and a helmet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Before they updated the original survey with benefit of GPS, it was a rest-stop on I-70 just west of Topeka. Pretty dad-gum good from an era of  sextants.

Actually Lebanon was established as the center with sextants long before the Interstates were ever built. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 2:05 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Nothing rhymes with the word ORANGE

Unless it's considered the open plains or range! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quote: “Actually Lebanon was established as the center with sextants long before the Interstates were ever built.”
 

I learn something new every day. Thx! :)

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Alpo said:

A league is a measure of distance, nit area.

Can be  used to describe area or distance.

Edited by Yellowhouse Sam # 25171

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite fact? Mommy armadillos always have 4 identical babies for each pregnancy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

About 4.5 billion years from now our galaxy, the Milky Way,  will collide with the galaxy Andromeda.

 

I hope to have my house paid off by then.

 

 

 

 

 nah ...... pay minimum payments, as late as possible, ............ and hope they'll forget about the rest of it after the collision ............. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Officer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 12:05 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Nothing rhymes with the word ORANGE

Range does.  Strange cone close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point eighty-one millimeter is an awful damn dinky mortar.

30 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Close only counts in Hand Grenades, and horseshoes, and .81mm mortar rounds.  B)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Close only counts in Hand Grenades, and horseshoes, and .81mm mortar rounds.  B)

And couch wrestling.  :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

Here is some information that is probably useless to 99.99% of the population, but I made my living with it for 38 years:

 

Linear land measurements

 

1 rod = 1 perch = 1 pole = 16.5 feet

 

1 chain =  4 perches  = 66 feet = 100 links

 

1 link = .66 feet  = 8 inches

 

Area land measurements 

 

1 acre = 160 square perches = 43,560 square feet

 

40 square perches = 1/4 acre = 1 rood (not rod)

 

The old time measurements were found in recent deeds because older deeds were just copied over and over without being resurveyed.  I used to study the chains of title to real property that used these ancient types of measure in the deeds.  Because I was familiar with these old measurements it has been insinuated that I was George Washington's rod man.

40 rods = 220 yards, 660 feet 1/8 mile, 10chains, 1 furlong.

 

See, some of us still know these things...and use it to our advantage.  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The remote control was on the floor - hidden by the dogs blanket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, MizPete said:

The Newgrange (Co Meath, RI) passage tomb predates the pyramids.


This hasta be fake. There’s no Meath County in Rhode Island:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.