SASS Wire Forum

Useless Facts (what’s yours?)

Cat Brules

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..................... would you then have a "mad cow" ....... like in England ?

:huh:

Yeah, you might wind up a steer!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/28/2020 at 8:10 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

Here is some information that is probably useless to 99.99% of the population, but I made my living with it for 38 years:

Linear land measureme

1 rod = 1 perch = 1 pole = 16.5 feet

1 chain =  4 perches  = 66 feet = 100 links

1 link = .66 feet  = 8 inches

Area land measurements 

1 acre = 160 square perches = 43,560 square feet

40 square perches = 1/4 acre = 1 rood (not rod)

The old time measurements were found in recent deeds because older deeds were just copied over and over without being resurveyed.  I used to study the chains of title to real property that used these ancient types of measure in the deeds.  Because I was familiar with these old measurements it has been insinuated that I was George Washington's rod man.

When I retired from the Air Force we moved onto 47 Acres.  I wanted to put a fence up to keep my horses in and asked the county what the width of the road past our place was so I could put up the fence in the right place.  They said it was 33 ft center, or 66 ft wide.  I thought that was an odd figure, why not 65 or 70 ft.  Their answer was that when the road was first surveyed it was measured in Rods, Links and Chains.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:27 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The Lone Ranger's horse before Silver was named, Pony Hoss. 

The Long Ranger's mask was made from his dead brother's vest.

The Lone Rangers mask when the show was filmed in black and white was colored purple, as black showed up too dark when filmed in B&W.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, Alpo said:

A woman is also a mammal, but if you called one a cow, she'd probably get mad at you.

An American visiting the U.K. was in a pub and overheard some chubby girls talking in a different accent so he politely asked them “Are you girls from Scotland.” Insulted, one of them harshly corrected him, “No, you are wrong, it’s Wales!”  “Oh, sorry” he replied, “Are you whales from Scotland?”  He’s still in traction.

Seamus

Archived