SASS Wire Forum

Useless Facts (what’s yours?)

Cat Brules

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no such thing as cold.

The word “cold” represents the relative absence of heat, (thermal energy).

A standard gauge railroad track is 5' 4-3/4" wide.  This dimension was picked because it was the same wheel track width of a standard Roman chariot.  The chariots cut into the stone of English roads, and the English followed those wheel tracks some 1800 years later.

Tight Squeeze is a community near Chatham, Va where the tracks are slightly narrow.  The train wheels squeal when passing.  Some trains accelerate when going through to prevent losing speed.

England has not had an English (Anglo or Saxon) king since 1066 AD.  

They were ruled by French monarchy until the Hanovers (German) took the throne in the early 1700s.

44 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

England has not had an English (Anglo or Saxon) king since 1066 AD.  

They were ruled by French monarchy until the Hanovers (German) took the throne in the early 1700s.

You left out a couple of steps. The last Plantagenet related king was Richard III.  Next came the Tudors who were Welsh and the Scots Stuarts before the Hanovers came in.  

Seamus

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There is no such thing as cold.

The word “cold” represents the relative absence of heat, (thermal energy).

So.......if I freeze some valuable parts off in January it isn't because it's cold, but because it isn't as warm?

Sounds like BS to me.

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, give or take a few yards.

we know that becuz a smart fellow named eye-n stien clocked it with a hoped up '56 chevy . . . . 

10 hours ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

we know that becuz a smart fellow named eye-n stien clocked it with a hoped up '56 chevy . . . . 

Me  and a buddy clocked it with a flashlight and a stop watch in Dad's driveway when we were still in high school.  Figured we might be of a tad because the batteries were getting weak.

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So.......if I freeze some valuable parts off in January it isn't because it's cold, but because it isn't as warm?

Sounds like BS to me.

You're getting it!!  It's because it isn't warm ENOUGH to prevent your losses!!  It isn't warm enough to prevent freezing!!  :o:rolleyes::lol:

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Me  and a buddy clocked it with a flashlight and a stop watch in Dad's driveway when we were still in high school.  Figured we might be of a tad because the batteries were getting weak.

You didn't have the bunny batteries?

Bunny.JPG

This thread is off topic.  Back to useless trivia.

In mammals, females have two identical (XX) sex chromosomes while males have an X and Y (XY). In contrast, birds have a ZZ–ZW determination system wherein females are the heterogametic sex (ZW).

11 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

This thread is off topic.  Back to useless trivia.

In mammals, females have two identical (XX) sex chromosomes while males have an X and Y (XY). In contrast, birds have a ZZ–ZW determination system wherein females are the heterogametic sex (ZW).

.... so, the birds that I shoot at (and miss because they Zag and Weave) are female ??  :unsure:

The King of Hearts is the only king in a deck of cards without a mustache.

Alaska is the only state whose name is on one row of a keyboard.

That small mark you make over a lowercase "i" and a lowercase "j" is called a "tittle."

More people are killed annually by donkeys than airplane crashes.

Vegetarians fart more than non-vegetarians.

25 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Vegetarians fart more than non-vegetarians.

Contrary to your thinking, this last bit of information is quite useful!!

43 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

That small mark you make over a lowercase "i" and a lowercase "j" is called a "tittle."

What is a "jot"?

I have heard, frequently, "every jot and tittle".

Now, thanks to you, I know what a tittle is.

But what's a jot?

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What is a "jot"?

I have heard, frequently, "every jot and tittle".

Now, thanks to you, I know what a tittle is.

But what's a jot?

The phrase refers to every single detail. You can think of it as dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s.

The best known origin came from the King James Bible, Mathew 5:17-18.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Bananas can not reproduce properly without mans help.

A plimsoll is a British tennis shoe, so named because the line going around the top of the sole resembles the plimsoll line on a ship.

PR76059-Premier-Classic-Plimsoll-Womens-

Plimsolled is a type of British corporal punishment, where the victim is spanked, but instead of using the hand, a belt, a ping pong paddle or a fly swatter, they use a tennis shoe.

It's a little known fact that an orange is the only fruit that will not ripen after it is picked.

Just call my Cliff.

Archived