SASS Wire Forum

Useless Facts (what’s yours?)

Cat Brules

Okay, I’ll start......

Florida is the only place in the world where wild alligators and wild crocodiles coexist.

Cat Brules

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The piano has 88 keys, 52 white keys and 36 black keys. It was invented in 1709 in Florence Italy by Bartolomeo Cristofori. It was called a pianoforte because it could play soft and loud unlike a harpsichord which is one volume.

Actually the first piano Cristofori invented had 85 keys. 50 white and 35 black Now you have some useless information you can share at the next social gathering you attend!:P

43 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The piano has 88 keys, 52 white keys and 36 black keys. It was invented in 1709 in Florence Italy by Bartolomeo Cristofori. It was called a pianoforte because it could play soft and loud unlike a harpsichord which is one volume.

Actually the first piano Cristofori invented had 85 keys. 50 white and 35 black Now you have some useless information you can share at the next social gathering you attend!:P

Maybe more useless....

why were three keys added?

and were the foot pedals there in the original version?

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Maybe more useless....

why were three keys added?

and were the foot pedals there in the original version?

The three keys were added so the piano covered from A-A. The picture of the original Cristofori piano shows no pedals. I don't know when they were added.

Now you're making me search!!! :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_pedals

Below is a 1720 Cristofori piano

image.png.8e753650a3c805cbc0f915d619b2079d.png

The tomato was originally thought to be poisonous by some!!

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Odd numbered interstates go north and south and even numbered interstates go east and west.

I69 goes east and west!!

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Odd numbered interstates go north and south and even numbered interstates go east and west.

This applies to all highways, not just interstates.

It runs east/west In Michigan.  When it veers toward the Canadian border.  Huge signs announce the change when it changes!

It also runs east/west in Kentucky where it merges with I24, but it still retains the north/south markings on signage.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

The (1) indicates that is is a Spur off of I-69. A Spur will start with an odd number. An Outerbelt will start with an even number. I-270 is an Outerbelt off of I-70.

That’s not a one!  It’s an I.  Ninth letter of the alphabet. It indicates that the thoroughfare is an interstate highway.  Easy to make that mistake with the default font used here.

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

That’s not a one!  It’s an I.  Ninth letter of the alphabet. It indicates that the thoroughfare is an interstate highway.  Easy to make that mistake with the default font used here.

Gotcha!  But looking at I-69, it primarily goes N-S, but has a couple sections that go E-W.  I-10 does that here in Tucson, too. 

But HEY, you still learned some trivia!

I-680 is a north/south highway. So is I-280. (Un)interestingly enough, if you drive south (by compass) on I-680 and do not take any exits, you will magically in a few miles be going north (by compass) on I-280.

SR-17 (CA State Route) is a north/south highway starting in Santa Cruz that used to go all the way up to the north end of the SF bay area. The state transferred the part north of I-280 (which 17 intersected at right angles) to the federal government. The feds renamed that north/south section I-880. I-205 branches off of it about half way north at about a right angle... And you can take I-205 east crossing I-680 at a right angle (680 runs north/south there) across the Altamont Pass into the Central Valley where it runs into I-5.

Marriage

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Roald Amundsen disappeared in the Barents Sea on a SAR mission for the airship Italia.

Maybe he found it.   :)  

*Spring, 1969, a buddy and I were "temporarily detained" for climbing aboard and exploring Amundsen's ship, Gjøa, when she was still in San Francisco. As recall, it took three police cars and a helicopter.*  :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

You've got a 50/50 shot at being 100% wrong.

sorry, but I dispute your facts ....

......... experience proves that although you have a 50% chance of being right ....

you  I have a 97.3% chance of being 100% wrong ......... :(

Bumblebees in theory cannot fly, but tell that to a bumblebee.

If you pinch your elbow, it doesn’t hurt.

You can live without your spleen.

Archived