SASS Wire Forum

Driver's Ed question

Alpo

Four cars arrive at a four way stop at the exact same time (like that's really going to happen).

Who has the right away.

I know if I get there first, I have the right way.

I know that if three cars arrive at the same time (again, fairly unlikely), the one on the right has the right of way.

But if there's a car at every stop sign, there is no car on the right.

So in this unlikely scenario, who would have the right of way?

Obviously, no one.  One car will eventually go out into the intersection and the others will let him go, then the rest will follow suit.

The one that has enough sense to know that the other three are probably just as dumb as most drivers on the road these days and takes the initiative to get going. :D

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The guy (or gal) with the brush guard on their truck.

I was gonna say biggest vehicle always has the right-of-way, but brush guards are just as good.

Apparently 4 way stops are rare in some areas of the country. At one intersection in town I see tourists, mostly in summer,  pull up and stop as a look of fear and uncertainty darkens their visage. Then the vehicles begin to back up. Folks here are courteous and rarely honk. We just wait em out and try to encourage them to move with hand gestures (not the ones you might see in New York though). :rolleyes:

I was up in Alabama one time and I came upon a four way stop on two four-lane roads. And both of the roads had left turn lanes.

So instead of a possibility of four cars (which is what I was used to) there was a possibility of 12 cars.

Who in the world has the right of way up there? Didn't them damn people ever hear of a red light?

There is a flaw in your story Alpo. The probability that all four vehicles would arrive at the same time while small is still plausible.

The idea at all four would actually come to a complete stop is your problem because that would never happen.

:P:D

The Monster Truck 1st, VW Bug last.

11 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

The guy (or gal) with the brush guard on their truck.

You mean there's trucks in Michigan that came without a brush guard?:huh:

Imagine that!:P

Lemme guess, they've got 4 full sized doors and a 4 foot bed before they added the toolbox, right? <_<

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You mean there's trucks in Michigan that came without a brush guard?:huh:

Imagine that!:P

Lemme guess, they've got 4 full sized doors and a 4 foot bed before they added the toolbox, right? <_<

Not quite. Five and a half foot bed! Lol

IMG_20190413_141441119.jpg

12 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

This is how Figure-8 racing got started. 

I was watching one on TV decades ago.  Small track, looked like at a fairgrounds.  One car didn't have a hood.  Driver wasn't taking directions from an official.  Official reached over, grabbed a handful of plug wires and ripped them out.

I believe that beating has a size-matters rule, except that sailboats always have the right-of-way over powerboats.

My memory may be fuzzy on this as in actual practice, pontoon boats and ski boats seem to do what they want.

I recall a MAD cartoon. Two guys arguing about who has the right of way at stop sign.

They are both pulling boats on trailers. the guy pulling the sailboat insist that he had the right away because sailboats have the right away over power boats.

A friend of mine taught me a very interesting term. GROSS TONNAGE RIGHT OF WAY.

Don't care what the rules of the road say. If you are big enough to squish me like a bug, you absolutely can go first.

A Coast Guard sailor I used to drink with one told me that when he worked The San Francisco Bay station that a lot of their calls for disabled vessels were for sail boaters that thought they always had the right of way.

He said that in the bay, large commercial ships almost always have the right of way due to their limited maneuverability. 

The first one to move in this situation would be the one that is going straight through the intersection on the primary right of way.  Then everyone else would go, based on the vehicle-on-the-right theory.  Left turns always yield.  The people in Durham, NC seem to handle this better than most places I've been.

Ding, ding, ding

10 hours ago, MizPete said:

The first one to move in this situation would be the one that is going straight through the intersection on the primary right of way.  Then everyone else would go, based on the vehicle-on-the-right theory.  Left turns always yield.  The people in Durham, NC seem to handle this better than most places I've been.

We have a winner.

Imis

7 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Is there a group of protesters standing in the intersection?? s10.gif.cb65f65b229224eb32aee3ffd2e96d74.gif

All four go at once in that situation. :D

The vehicle with the most lug nuts has right of way.

My instructor said in that situation the simple rule is all drivers should not insist on right of way, but he was wrong! Lug nuts rule!

Right of way is a thing.  It determines auto liability.  In case of "protesters" proceed in the order described above & keep moving, slow but steady.

I remember this from Driver's ed.  First off you didn't mention whether the cars were turning or going straight.  That's important because Cars going straight have the right of way over cars turning and cars turning right have the right of way over cars turning left.  So if all cars are turning left or going straight, the correct non joke even though it sounds like one answer is ... whoever takes the initiative. 

BTW, if all cars are turning right, there's no need to worry about it.  If there's a mix of directions, then it just depends.  The Yield to the Right rule won't even come into play then because the turn direction is higher in the order of operation and solves first. 

Not in a four-way stop.

At a standard boulevard stop, cars going straight have the right of way over cars turning left.

But at four way stop that no longer applies.

It has been 62 years since I took drivers ed, but I seem to recall a question on the State of Illinois written exam that asked, "If a citizen, a fire truck, an ambulance and a post office vehicle came to a four-way intersection, and all stop, who has the right-of-way?  The answer was...the postal truck because it was a federal vehicle!  Didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't! :wacko:  First of all, why would all four vehicles stop? I would suspect if the ambulance had its siren and lights going, it probably would, followed by the fire truck.  Oh, and at one time, the State of Illinois actually had a law on its book that if two trains approached on crossing tracks, both must come to a stop and neither could move until the other had departed! :huh::wacko:  The law was finally repealed some years ago...not that the railroads had paid much attention to it in light of Centralized Traffic Control (CTC).

Howdy,

When I drove old ford vans to keep my fun car off the road it seemed

nobody wanted to go in front of the old beater.

So most primer showing and non matching doors wins.

You hit that guy and a trip to court, paperwork and wasted time or

let that sucker go first.

Best

CR

Archived