Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
ZigMar

Problem seating primers in Federal value-pack hulls

Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried reloading hulls from Federal value-packs?  You know the kind you get at Wally World, 4 boxes of 25 for a total of 100 shells.  For years I've been using them when going out shooting clays with my buddies and just throwing them away afterwards.  But the way things are getting I've decided to try reloading a few, but primers won't seat all the way.  I'm reloading shotshells on MEC Sizemaster that I got 2nd hand.  I don't see any way to adjust the primer seating mechanism.  I've reloaded Winchester Hulls and Remington Hulls (STS and Gun Club) on this press with no problems seating primers all the way, but cheap-o Federals, no joy.  I'll try to attach pictures.

IMGP1144.JPG

IMGP1145.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess the primer is a little too big. Try to reseat one of the spent primers. Looks like you're using Winchester primers, you may have to get Federals to fit their hull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I'd guess the primer is a little too big. Try to reseat one of the spent primers. Looks like you're using Winchester primers, you may have to get Federals to fit their hull.

Sorry I didn't mention it above.  That's a Fed 209A primer pictured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those hulls are meant to toss. You will find them where a primer will be so loose they fall out. Or open a box of reloads and the bottom of the box is full of shot because a crimp opened up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, I was just thinking anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Double tap!

Edited by Goody, SASS #26190

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are cheap for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They are cheap for a reason.


Understood, but with the way things are getting in CA as far as buying ammo goes, I thought I'd at least try to see if I could make something of them.  I can only imagine how may 1000s and 1000s of these I've thrown away over the years.  I guess I'll just stick to saving Winchester AAs and Remington hulls and toss the cheap-o Federals.

Edited by ZigMar
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah ... there are a lot of case primer combinations that won't normally seat all the way ... I ran into it w/ Gun Clubs and Federal primers on my Sizemaster.

The fix on the Sizemaster and other MEC presses is to slip a 1/4 inch spacer ring on the primer cup ... (pull cup out ... slide 1/4 spacer ring on cup ... drop cup back into hole!!).

With the spacer installed the whole primer cup sits 1/4 inch higher.

Now I already knew you were gonna ask where you were supposed to get this "spacer" ... and that isn't a problem because it is a MEC part.

You probably already have one as they come with MEC Jrs .. Sizemasters etc ... They are intended for 3 inch hulls.

It is part 75 on this MEC parts diagram ...  s10.gif.0cf284bbbb8a6d7dca5b1eef2695ec9e.gif

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/sizemaster-parts

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

 

Now I already knew you were gonna ask where you were supposed to get this "spacer" ... and that isn't a problem because it is a MEC part.

You probably already have one as they come with MEC Jrs .. Sizemasters etc ... They are intended for 3 inch hulls.

It is part 75 on this MEC parts diagram ...  s10.gif.0cf284bbbb8a6d7dca5b1eef2695ec9e.gif

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/sizemaster-parts

 


Thank you Sir!  The press I have is 2nd hand to me, so I'm guessing I never had that part.  I did go and order one "just in case" I ever need it.  Thanks again.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noooo Problem ... 

Some folks (like me) already had this part in their parts box and absoutely no clue what is was for ...... sigh ...  :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ZigMar said:


Understood, but with the way things are getting in CA as far as buying ammo goes, I thought I'd at least try to see if I could make something of them.  I can only imagine how may 1000s and 1000s of these I've thrown away over the years.  I guess I'll just stick to saving Winchester AAs and Remington hulls and toss the cheap-o Federals.

 

Pick up all those Remington Gun Clubs that the other shooters leave at the Clay's range.  With Winchester primers I have no issues reloading them.

 

BTW I buy Federal Top Guns for when I am shooting smokeless. Save the hulls and reload them with BP. No issues seating primers and can get at least two BP reloads before I have to toss them.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a MEC Jr. I adjust the resize/deprim station so it does its job but does not interfere with the prime station going all the way down. I find the internal part of the base is different heights on different brands of sg shells.

kR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

> snip <

I find the internal part of the base is different heights on different brands of sg shells.

> snip <

+1 +1

Eggzactly!!

This problem is nothing new … even if many of us have not experienced it before.

It is hard to wrap your head around the fact that the MEC  presses wouldn't take care of this unless there was something wrong.

 

Sooooo .. here is the deal …

The rod sitting in the middle of the primer cup is not adjustable. To get more rod travel (to fully seat some hull/primer combinations) the cup must be raised.

The cup is raised 1/4 inch when you slide the MEC provided washer onto the cup (which was intended to be used when the platform was lowered and additional 1/4 inch to accommodate 3 inch hulls).

 

When these presses were designed there weren't any plastic base was hulls. What did comprise the base wad material was usually pretty flat. The plunger that pushes the hulls down into the cup usually sat pretty high in the hull .. (on top of the wad).

 

Some of the new plastic/composite basewad hulls are much more concave (or thinner) and the plunger sits lower in the hull when pushing it down (because of the shape of the tip of the plunger).

As a result … many "newer" style basewad hulls are not pushed down as far on the downstroke … AND .. that is why the primers are hanging out of the hull.

 

The washer simply brings the whole assembly back up into range. There are springs on both sides of the operation so having a higher cup isn't going to bottom out or damage a hull or anything.

 

Long term … MEC should probably make the rod in the middle of the cup a tad longer but using the washer/s actually provides more flexibility so …. "what the hey??"

 

Search on shotgun world or any of those forums and you will see that they re-hash this problem all over again every couple of years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I load 12ga on a very early MEC 600jr.

I load the same shells and have used the same primer without issue.

I urge you to contact MEC via phone and talk to'em about this.

Also, visit the MEC site, and see if they have any adjustments you can try.

Those shells are some of the longest lasting for SG reloading I have found. 

OLG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Yeah ... there are a lot of case primer combinations that won't normally seat all the way ... I ran into it w/ Gun Clubs and Federal primers on my Sizemaster.

The fix on the Sizemaster and other MEC presses is to slip a 1/4 inch spacer ring on the primer cup ... (pull cup out ... slide 1/4 spacer ring on cup ... drop cup back into hole!!).

With the spacer installed the whole primer cup sits 1/4 inch higher.

Now I already knew you were gonna ask where you were supposed to get this "spacer" ... and that isn't a problem because it is a MEC part.

You probably already have one as they come with MEC Jrs .. Sizemasters etc ... They are intended for 3 inch hulls.

It is part 75 on this MEC parts diagram ...  s10.gif.0cf284bbbb8a6d7dca5b1eef2695ec9e.gif

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/sizemaster-parts

 

 

The first generation 600jr didn't have this ring.

You would remount the shaft height for 3" shell.

I put a washer between the top of the primer seat die and where the die attached to the mount.

OLG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

 

The first generation 600jr didn't have this ring.

You would remount the shaft height for 3" shell.

I put a washer between the top of the primer seat die and where the die attached to the mount.

OLG 

That would work ... (washer at the top) ... since you would not have primer tray height or anything like that to worry about (on that press) ... BUT ... 

The primer cup washer will still work on the early 600jr because the same primer cup is used and the washer simply slides onto the outside of the primer cup body (that drops into the platform).

I have an early 600jr that I stripped down to use just for a special crimping die ... but ... the primer cup hole is the same as my sizemaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

That would work ... (washer at the top) ... since you would not have primer tray height or anything like that to worry about (on that press) ... BUT ... 

The primer cup washer will still work on the early 600jr because the same primer cup is used and the washer simply slides onto the outside of the primer cup body (that drops into the platform).

I have an early 600jr that I stripped down to use just for a special crimping die ... but ... the primer cup hole is the same as my sizemaster. 

 

Mine is a 1978 first generation with the steel crimp die.

Whether the washer is under the primer cup or between the die & where it attaches yields the same result.

The advantage of placing the washer between the die and under mounting plate is that you can 'adjust' the die by the number of washers you use. Also much easier to find the needed washers at the store.

I suggest a 'fender' washer over a std washer for the larger O.D.

OLG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.