SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on ccw/ everyday carry???

Fill Yer Hand

A single action is too heavy, cumbersome to reload quickly and doesn't carry enough rounds for my liking.  It's hard to compete with the tupperware guns when it comes to conceal carry.

Well cowboy, if'n yer gunna wear that SA revolver, make sure ya also got yer spurs, chinks, cowboy hat...pocket watch...uhhh...what other 19th Century accessory...my mind is going blank here.

There's a reason why folks don't carry SA revolvers to protect themselves out in public. If you want a Carry revolver, get a S&W J-Frame or a Ruger SP-101.

Cheers!

Phantom

1 minute ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

model 29 here   good enuff for Dirty Harry good enuff for me 

I carried one of those on a duty belt for a year and I think it made one of my legs shorter than the other.

One of my side gigs is teaching Nevada CCW classes.

Most civilian self defense shootings take place at less than three yards and are completed with less than three rounds being discharged.

So on the surface - a single action revolver seems like a fair choice.

But...

A SA revolver has a number of drawbacks.

It is a very bulky firearm for its limited capacity (5 or 6 rounds maximum {in any chambering worthy of self defense carry}).

Unless practiced - it is far more challenging to operate one handed than most handguns (remember, that less than three yards number - your off hand may be busy creating distance or pushing away your attacker).

There is not a huge availability of quality concealment rigs for the SA revolver.

Reloads (tho realistically not going to happen too often in civilian shootings) are a pain - slow to clear brass and no speedloaders for SA revolvers.

Lastly, why?

Your concealed carry firearm is a survival TOOL - not a fad or fashion statement.

Carry and become capable with the best possible tools available to you.

We carry firearms to allow us and our loved ones the opportunity to make it home at the end of the day in basically the same condition as we began the day. 

And it is not a given - it is not guaranteed; it is only the opportunity. 

So understanding that we could do everything right and still lose - why on earth would you begin by handicapping yourself when it comes to the survival of yourself and loved ones?

I really doubt you would be pleased if your house was on fire and the fire department showed up with a horse drawn cart, brass water tank and a bucket brigade; especially if their reasoning was, "this method worked perfectly well 100 years ago; so we were nostalgic and left the modern fire truck and hydrant hookup at the station" 

Or if your child was going into surgery and the anesthesiologist informed you that he prefers old school methods - so your little girl gets a rag to bite down on and a shot of whiskey.

So if 150 year old archaic methods would be unacceptable for fighting your house fire or performing surgery on your child - why would you voluntarily do so in your self defense carry?

I carry one quite a bit.   But it's generally when im on a horse or around the farm/ neighborhood.  If I need more than 6 shots to get to more substantial firepower im pretty screwed anyway.    Generally im more concerned with 4 legged varmints.  I don't care for semi autos.  And don't use them for a carry weapon.  My choice.  I also don't frequent areas where more firepower would be prudent.    If im forced to be in one of those areas I carry what is necessary.    Also consider if you are ever to have to use one, the perception of the jury is big. i wouldn't come off as a john Wayne wannabe.   But that also works for the newest wonder 9 and john wick.  Ultimately only you can decide what gun is right for you.   The one you will carry is far better than the one that gets left at home.  

this sums it up as well as i might have hoped to - 

"Your concealed carry firearm is a survival TOOL - not a fad or fashion statement.

We carry firearms to allow us and our loved ones the opportunity to make it home at the end of the day in basically the same condition as we began the day. 

So understanding that we could do everything right and still lose - why on earth would you begin by handicapping yourself when it comes to the survival of yourself and loved ones?"

3 hours ago, Kid Rodelo said:

Anybody use a single action for concealed carry or everyday carry? If so what has worked? 

Did for almost 25 years.  Simply tucked in the small of my back, sightly to the right, between my shirt and pants with the belt cinched up medium tight, and pulled my shirt over it.  My boss told me it wasn't safe and I was likely to blow my brains out.  

My physical contours have changed since then and I couldn't carry it that way today.

I carried ten spare rounds in my left rear pocket.

3 hours ago, Kid Rodelo said:

Anybody use a single action for concealed carry or everyday carry? If so what has worked? 

I do every winter.

Can't do it during the summer. Hard to hide that 1911 under a t-shirt.

He didn't say diddly about a revolver. He said single action. B)

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

I do every winter.

Can't do it during the summer. Hard to hide that 1911 under a t-shirt.

He didn't say diddly about a revolver. He said single action. B)

Year round here. Try a t shirt with a Hawaiian shirt over it. I can carry my Colt Commander and two spare magazines without anyone noticing.

Typically I carry the Colt or a S&W Model 37 (if I’m fishing), with whichever one I’m not carrying in the car as backup. With the current craziness I’m thinking I need to go with a short barreled collapsible stock AR15 in the car as backup.

I used to think there weren’t many SD problems I couldn’t solve with 25 rounds of .45 Hydra-Shok. If I have to drive into Atlanta I’m thinking 90 rounds of .556 could be needed.

Sharyn also carries a S&W Model 37. She cocks the hammer on it just as she does with her cowboy guns. That gives her a nice, short crisp trigger pull.

I keep going back and forth from a S&W Airweight in .38spl. and a S&W Shield in 9mm. The Airweight is a little easier to carry but not by much. I have more rounds in the Shield. I'm so confused!!:o

As far as a SAA for carry, no way unless it was the only gun I had.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I keep going back and forth from a S&W Airweight in .38spl. and a S&W Shield in 9mm. The Airweight is a little easier to carry but not by much. I have more rounds in the Shield. I'm so confused!!:o

Had the same dilemma going for me.

Bought a Glock 19 gen 5 with Ameriglo sights and problem is solved. ^_^

Oh, and yes, the Hawaiian shirt deal works very well for concealment. 

OLG 

If you carry everyday, the lightest thing with the most capacity. When my department finally went to semi-autos, the choice was the S&W 4026 which loaded weighs around 25 pounds. As a detective I had to carry the thing, they don't anymore. But thankfully I was in my enclosed office when two times the weight of the thing pulled my pants down. I shot USPSA with it and it was great for that. A conceal carry something like that everyday sucks. You can get use to it for I carried that 4026 eight more years as a detective and yes you can forget that you have it on. A gun being carried everyday becomes a part of you.

11 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

One of my side gigs is teaching Nevada CCW classes.

Most civilian self defense shootings take place at less than three yards and are completed with less than three rounds being discharged.

So on the surface - a single action revolver seems like a fair choice.

But...

A SA revolver has a number of drawbacks.

It is a very bulky firearm for its limited capacity (5 or 6 rounds maximum {in any chambering worthy of self defense carry}).

Unless practiced - it is far more challenging to operate one handed than most handguns (remember, that less than three yards number - your off hand may be busy creating distance or pushing away your attacker).

There is not a huge availability of quality concealment rigs for the SA revolver.

Reloads (tho realistically not going to happen too often in civilian shootings) are a pain - slow to clear brass and no speedloaders for SA revolvers.

Lastly, why?

Your concealed carry firearm is a survival TOOL - not a fad or fashion statement.

So understanding that we could do everything right and still lose - why on earth would you begin by handicapping yourself when it comes to the survival of yourself and loved ones?

I really doubt you would be pleased if your house was on fire and the fire department showed up with a horse drawn cart, brass water tank and a bucket brigade; especially if their reasoning was, "this method worked perfectly well 100 years ago; so we were nostalgic and left the modern fire truck and hydrant hookup at the station" 

Or if your child was going into surgery and the anesthesiologist informed you that he prefers old school methods - so your little girl gets a rag to bite down on and a shot of whiskey.

So if 150 year old archaic methods would be unacceptable for fighting your house fire or performing surgery on your child - why would you voluntarily do so in your self defense carry?

One of the best responses to the age old question I’ve seen. 

13 hours ago, Kid Rodelo said:

You were asking 

A: If anybody has carried a single action and

B. What has worked ( I assume you mean what brand of gun and/or holster)

As you can see, the use of a SA for defense is rare and the reasons have been pretty well articulated. This question is frequently asked by new CAS shooters who have little experience with firearms or tactics.

I occasionally carry one unconcealed on my 40 a few spread but as a former police instructor I would never consider it as a concealed defensive weapon. It would put me at a disadvantage in a confrontation.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

We use to laugh at the Feds because they were always wearing a fishing vest.  We referred to them as the "shoot me first vest".   Georgia heat and conceal carry can be a challenge.

Fishing vests only work as concealment garments if you have a fly rod in your off hand.

Just like photographer's vests only work if there's a Nikon or Canon 35mm hanging around your neck.

OP,

I have more suitable choices for concealed carry and personal defense than a SAA, so I use them daily.  Yeah, the SAA was designed as a fighting pistol- but that was in 1873.  It'll do the job but there's better choices available. 

Don't know about you but I tend to take self defense seriously and I don't see the need to try to explain to a jury why I was toting an antique that should be range toy instead of something more modern, effective and reasonable.

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

One of the best responses to the age old question I’ve seen. 

Because it was all I had at that time.  One or two rounds of .45 Colt will generally stop a fight and I'm not out there to fight a war, just stop a bad guy in his tracks.

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Because it was all I had at that time.  One or two rounds of .45 Colt will generally stop a fight and I'm not out there to fight a war, just stop a bad guy in his tracks.

If it’s all you have, that’s a different story.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I keep going back and forth from a S&W Airweight in .38spl. and a S&W Shield in 9mm. The Airweight is a little easier to carry but not by much. I have more rounds in the Shield. I'm so confused!!

I have the same two favorite carry guns. I got a new holster that changed the angle of carry on the shield, made it feel better to carry, haven't carried the airweight in years.

16 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I have the same two favorite carry guns. I got a new holster that changed the angle of carry on the shield, made it feel better to carry, haven't carried the airweight in years.

I have a new EZ 9 still looking for a comfortable holster. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Public or PM your choice if you care to respond. 

Thank you in advance,

CJ

35 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I have a new EZ 9 still looking for a comfortable holster. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is what I have, it was quite stiff and uncomfortable at first but broke in like a good pair of boots. Body shape has a lot to do with what works. I don't know if he make one to fit your gun.

https://bullardleather.com/products/bodyguard-a-custom-fit-to-your-gun

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I have a new EZ 9 still looking for a comfortable holster. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Public or PM your choice if you care to respond. 

Thank you in advance,

CJ

Alien Gear makes very comfortable IWB holsters. A neoprene pad cushions the holster against the body.

9 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

This is what I have, it was quite stiff and uncomfortable at first but broke in like a good pair of boots. Body shape has a lot to do with what works. I don't know if he make one to fit your gun.

https://bullardleather.com/products/bodyguard-a-custom-fit-to-your-gun

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Alien Gear makes very comfortable IWB holsters. A neoprene pad cushions the holster against the body.

Thank you. I’ll look into both and try to decide which way to jump. 

CJ

And I'm going to jump in to say that REVOLVERS are in many times the best type of gun to carry.

Why??

Go to a Wild Bunch match as watch folks deal with their 1911 Jams/Miss Feeds/etc and you know why.

If you are going to defend yourself or others, ya gotta practice a LOT with that Semi-Auto. To do otherwise...yer just kidding yerself on the belief that you are able to handle a bad situation.

Phantom

Regardless of the choice of firearm carried, one must practice with that gun and be familiar with the operation. If you are a SASS shooter your most familiar with single actions, unless you practice frequently with another handgun. I carry a couple 5 shot 38 double actions, just grab it and run it like you stole it.

Scrag {Ron Peterson} was the top firearms instructor on the Colorado front range, he taught feds, state, city PD, Sheriff's depts, even U.S. Marshal's to shoot. He once told us if you look at your weapon when you pull it, in order to figure out how it operates, you're dead. In other words, you must practice often with that particular firearm. That's why I tell new CCW holders to buy something simple like a small double action revolver. If they are dedicated enough to actually go to the range with any frequency I tell them they might try out a higher capacity semi auto. Scrag was a wicked good SASS shooter too, he retired a few years back.

48 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And I'm going to jump in to say that REVOLVERS are in many times the best type of gun to carry.

Why??

Go to a Wild Bunch match as watch folks deal with their 1911 Jams/Miss Feeds/etc and you know why.

If you are going to defend yourself or others, ya gotta practice a LOT with that Semi-Auto. To do otherwise...yer just kidding yerself on the belief that you are able to handle a bad situation.

Phantom

This is true for any cc weapon.

Super-lite summer carry is a NAA mini-mag with mag cylinder in and lr cylinder (shells taped in chambers), for a quick reload and a good knife.  IWB holster I made.

Bodyguard .380 is my standard carry.

Looking for a small 1911 for winter carry.

20191219_064817.jpg

I don't usually conceal carry except for my backup. Especially these days. I do open carry one of my Smith revolvers most all days. They are all 8 shot 357s and I have extra moon clips for them. I only open carry a single action ruger 4 times per month and never concealed. That's after a cowboy shoot. It rides in a mernickle high rise holster that works extremely well and worth the money. I have 2 of them.

1 hour ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

This is true for any cc weapon.

Not quite.

A Semi-Auto has many ways to fail. I you're depending on that gun, you've better be real good and quick at resolving any problems. That includes having a backup mag ready to go.

A revolver...simple and dependable.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why??

Phantom

The biggest problem people have with Wild Bunch is getting reloaded lead only bullets to feed reliably.  I suspect a lot of people use range pickup brass that was run through a Glock.  Then they don't get it resized properly and the base of the case is swollen.  Then OAL and the lead bullets can cause feeding problems.  If you run good quality jacketed factory loaded rounds, the 1911 is a very capable gun.  JMB did not design the 1911 to use lead bullets.

Archived