SASS Wire Forum

AR parts query...

Some time ago I started an AR build, wanting a rifle as close to "old school" as I can make it, with a traditional stock and carry-handle upper.  

Well, the project has been "back-burner'd" for a while, but I spent some time today pondering parts still needed:

Dust Cover/spring/pin

Forward Assist Button/spring/pin

Buffer/spring (rifle size)

and...

Lower Parts Kit.

Being in California, the Lower Parts Kit is giving me pause

A Lower Parts Kit can be had for anywhere from forty bucks on up to $absurd. - somewhere in the vicinity of $60 - $80 seems to be common.  But, to be California legal, further modification is required as an alternative to the now illegal push-button mag release.  Some vendors used to sell "California Compliant" Lower Parts Kits; these included the "bullet button" mag release, which is now also not legal.  

So, the question:  Does anyone know of anyone selling a Lower Parts Kit that would be compliant under today's rules?  Or, if not, a suggestion for a practical and affordable add-on compliance-conversion kit?  

And please - no commentaries about the laws here.  It is what it is; I just want be able to take the thing to the range without being arrested.  

Thanks!

Hardpan,

I'm not well versed in CA laws, but if you put a "featureless" pistol grip on the rifle, could you get away with a regular magazine release?   Obviously that wouldn't look very "old school".  I may have a rifle buffer spring kicking around here somewhere if you want it.  

Red Wolf

You said you've had this for a while.  Is there any chance that your lower receiver is pre-ban and grandfathered in?  I don't know when California started passing all those restrictions.

2 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

You said you've had this for a while.  Is there any chance that your lower receiver is pre-ban and grandfathered in?  I don't know when California started passing all those restrictions.

I believe that the grandfather clauses were removed. 

Hardpan,

You can use a standard lower parts kit. 
If you go featureless you don’t need to change a thing about the standard Mag release. 

Check these out

https://caligunner.com/california-compliant-featureless-rifle/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/california-legal-ar-15/

If you go milk toast California legal you will need to get a fixed mag kit with an upper quick release set up. 
Here are options if you don’t want a removable mag. 

https://patriotpin.com/

https://jtactical.com/products/ca-compliant-ar-mod-kit-featureless-ar-alternative

https://maglatchusa.com/

This is my AR-15. It is “featureless”. I have a regular lower kit with a regular mag release. And honestly, I really like the Thordson stock. 
BDD5D2EE-D15B-43C3-8C7B-2137D024AB83.thumb.jpeg.79589166429289e3f3447765c01f7ccb.jpeg

4C315D45-F6FE-4292-BFA6-AE5A316D584D.thumb.jpeg.cdeb02626a4249aee6a63ef3b0caff18.jpeg

You may wish to try putting a want-to-buy (WTB) ad in the SASS Classifieds.

I recently purchased some small parts in the Classifieds.

Cat Brules

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Also https://gearyouneed.com/products/tacfire-featureless-stock

Lisa's is the top one with a Thordsen stock,
Mine is the other with a Tacfire stock

1402517594_FeaturelessAR.thumb.jpg.78f228c94b41c01d65ce8259b599ab1a.jpg

Is that an evil bayonet lug on that bottom rifle?

To be grandfathered it would have to have been registered by you as an assault weapon with the DOJ in 2000.  I have one that was registered in 2000; however, when I moved to the Battle Born state in 2013 it can't be brought back in the state; because, it is a Colt Sporter which is a model written into the 1999 CA AWB.  No use making it featureless.  The next mass shooting involving a MSR CA's politicans will be forced to lower the number of features; which, will mean rifles like M1A, M1 Carbine, Ruger Mini 14 and all the PCC's that are so popular today will be assault weapons.

P.S. I still haven't assembled my Angry Joe AR-14 lower.  Got to bring all my lower tooling & PanaVice into the house & the lower w/the ECHO II trigger and folding stock adapter to swap those to the Angry Joe lower.  I also need to install a folding stock on the lower the Brownells AR-180 upper is on.  This  adapter fits AR buffer tubes but will not work with AR buffer & spring.  The AR-180 upper is short gas piston operated & the recoil springs are integral to the upper.  Saves $100 over the AR compatible adapter.  These have gone up 25% in a year.

The best route as mentioned above is to make it featureless.  Ie no pistol grip.  One of the other options is a kit that replaces the bolt and makes it single shot.  Then it’s not a semi auto and none of the crazy laws apply.   If you move to a different state, then just fit a normal semi auto bcg. 

I appreciate the suggestions, y'all, but I absolutely do not want a "featureless," Buck Rogers stock.  Hence, my opening sentence:  "Some time ago I started an AR build, wanting a rifle as close to "old school" as I can make it, with a traditional stock and carry-handle upper."  

Those "featureless" stocks appeal to some and work well for them.  But to my jaundiced eye they're about as aesthetically appealing as Daisy Dukes on a fat man.  I'll leave it incomplete if that's my only option.

There are "kits" available that require "breaking the action open" to release the magazine.  I can live with that, but tend to bridle at nearly a hundred dollars for a tiny three-part "kit" that replaces the mag release button and one of the takedown pins... hence my asking if anyone has any suggestions about a more affordable alternative.

504317247_ARProject.thumb.jpg.2c9e9ca3c4eb4008ff28dd8a0ca96322.jpg

(The stock will end up black to match the upper handguard)

Archived