SASS Wire Forum

What size motor on a drill press for a good roll crimp?

T-Square

I'm confident my black powder friends can tell me - what Horsepower motor do you need on a drill press to create sufficient torque that will roll crimp a plastic hull?

I bought s small desktop drill press, that I thought would be great for doing the roll crimp on my loading table.  Boy was I wrong !  This little drill press POS would be hard pressed to drill through styrofoam, let alone roll crimp a plastic hull.  I'm returning it to the store.

Now I'm looking on-line for a small drill press.  I find some small presses with 1/3 hp and slightly larger with 3/4 hp.  

What are you guys using?  What size motor is needed?

I don't want to buy a full size 3 hp "mechanics dream" - just something strong enough to do a roll crimp.  That is all I will use the drill press for. 

I'm using my Ryobi drill with a roll crimp bite, and it works fine, but a drill press will be more consistent.

9 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I got one of those Harbor Freight ones that does a fine job on my plastic shells

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

That's the one I have.   I bought it for roll crimping shot shells but use it for other things.  I have a much bigger 1/2" chuck drill press but it's out in a machine shed.  This little one sets on my work bench in my reloading room. 

Never had a problem with the Harbor Freight drill press used to roll crimp 12 ga shells.  By making 2" shells, 6 will fit in the Winchester 97 without making any mods to the shotgun.

I think any drill press would do the job.  The friction heats up the edge of the plastic hull and then rolls it over when the plastic gets soft.  I roll crimp my 10 gauge black powder shells but I'm using a 3/4 hp drill press.  Probably overkill.  The hardest part is holding the base still while plunging the roll crimp die down on the shell.  

4 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I think any drill press would do the job.  The friction heats up the edge of the plastic hull and then rolls it over when the plastic gets soft.  I roll crimp my 10 gauge black powder shells but I'm using a 3/4 hp drill press.  Probably overkill.  The hardest part is holding the base still while plunging the roll crimp die down on the shell.  

Yeah but be sure you either keep all the magic smoke in the drill press or have a spare starting capacitor to insert more of the magic smoke! :lol:

Kajun

Just now, Krazy Kajun said:

Yeah but be sure you either keep all the magic smoke in the drill press or have a spare starting capacitor to insert more of the magic smoke! :lol:

Kajun

That only becomes an issue if your drilling 2" holes in oak.  Not roll crimping plastic hulls.  

8 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

296152346_Antiquereloadingtools2July2019.jpg.e358362eb24f86461e0f37be79e0b32e.jpg

I've not tried it on plastic hulls but the antique ones were hand crank.  And a short handle to boot.

You do know of course, that it's the 21st Century...right?

:o

44 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Ballistic Products makes a hull vice:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hull-Vise-select-size-in-Options/productinfo/VISE/

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I got one of those Harbor Freight ones that does a fine job on my plastic shells

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

same one I have. It took a couple tries to get them turning out right but its not the torque that gets the job done. It's the friction. Slow down and you'll get a more harmonious outcome. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

296152346_Antiquereloadingtools2July2019.jpg.e358362eb24f86461e0f37be79e0b32e.jpg

I've not tried it on plastic hulls but the antique ones were hand crank.  And a short handle to boot.

Works just fine on plastic hulls.  

Here is a video showing it done.

"Normal" drill presses have belt driven pulleys.  You can move the belt up or down to a different pulley if you want speed instead of torque. 

14 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

"Normal" drill presses have belt driven pulleys.  You can move the belt up or down to a different pulley if you want speed instead of torque. 

And...  have you checked the belt tension?  It should perform much better than you are experiencing. 

1906051555_Marlinleverrebuild2June2019.jpg.393c6327459758e7c5c7de01da61663d.jpg

To re-enforce what others have said it's about friction heat not torque.  I've used an antique hand cranked roll press on plastic hulls and it worked fine, just hd to turn it a little faster.

19 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I reload bp 12 guage shells with a mec sizemaster with the 6 or 8 point crimp. Do some shooters prefer the roll crimp or what is the purpose or advantage of using this method? Just curious.

The advantage is you can easily make 2" shells for shotguns that require them like the Winchester 1897.  Much needed for Wild Bunch when 6 rounds called for.

6 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Y'all are having just a little too much fun, I am too lazy to do this...but it does look interesting...hmmm

Imis

IMIS I will bring  a few to the match Saturday so you can smoke them over.

Deadwood Miner

My only source for 10 gauge hulls was to buy them new.  They didn't come with a star crimp and they didn't want to be star crimped.  They kept opening up.  I ended up cutting off the attempted star crimp and used a rollover crimp and that worked great.  I bought the rollover crimp die from Midway USA for an exorbitant amount but it did work pretty good.

1 hour ago, Deadwood Miner, SASS # 45575 said:

The advantage is you can easily make 2" shells for shotguns that require them like the Winchester 1897.  Much needed for Wild Bunch when 6 rounds called for.

Thanks. Didn't notice that people were doing this for smokeless rounds and bp.

15 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I reload bp 12 guage shells with a mec sizemaster with the 6 or 8 point crimp. Do some shooters prefer the roll crimp or what is the purpose or advantage of using this method? Just curious.

You can take the cheap shells or wore out shells that will not hold a crimp and make them work.  Rolling the crimp does tend to taper the tip a little and makes starting them down a SXS easier. 

Archived