SASS Wire Forum

Witnessed likely crime in progress, duhhh, who cares

Today I went to a NH Liquor and Wine Outlet, aka state liquor store. I saw a van loading cases of booze, in the end more than 100 cases into a van with Pennsylvania plates, undoubtedly intending to bring the cheap liquor to PA, not unlike the cars that bring smokes from So Carolina to NYC.  Had to ask myself if the price differential was enough for a couple guys to drive 12 or more hours

But hey, it’s not a crime to buy booze in NH.

I don't think it's a crime till they try and sell it in another state.  Buying in NH and driving it to Penn. in and of itself is probably not a crime.  There may be a provision in the law pertaining to quantity of booze carried over state lines.  That's one of those things where the local trooper would have to make a phone call to the Dept. of Revenue.

18 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I don't think it's a crime till they try and sell it in another state.  Buying in NH and driving it to Penn. in and of itself is probably not a crime.  There may be a provision in the law pertaining to quantity of booze carried over state lines.  That's one of those things where the local trooper would have to make a phone call to the Dept. of Revenue.

I don't think it was an issue for Al Capone. His problem seemed to be with counting and taxes.

You would think a person with all his money could hire somebody to do his taxes. 

I wonder if he ever called H & r bLOCK?

As I recall PA liquor laws might very well make a bootleg operation profitable. I would think that the manager of the State Liquor store might have had good reason to suspect something and call the NH Liquor Commission. 
Unless some under the table cash changed hands.

4 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

"Undoubtedly" taking it to Pennsylvania, driving 12 hours? Why undoubtedly?

How do bars buy their liquor in NH?

Same way, same price, from the state. I think there’s an exception for specialty wines but they’d still pay a tax to the state.

they buy beer from distributors.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As I recall PA liquor laws might very well make a bootleg operation profitable. I would think that the manager of the State Liquor store might have had good reason to suspect something and call the NH Liquor Commission. 
Unless some under the table cash changed hands.

NH is in the business of selling to liquor to persons over 21 without regard to what they do with it. Advertising lowest prices in the nation, etc.  stores at major entrances to the state, highway rest areas or just off the highway.

I think the booze was going to a few restaurants.

there was an issue recently about unusually high sales volume for Hennessy Richard Cognac ($4696.99) , a journalist thought the state should investigate a possible money laundering scheme.

its why we get hit with the title of “highest per capita liquor consumption in the nation”. 

Normally I'd suggest a frat party but it's summer and covid sent everyone home.

:o

Usually the crime in bootlegging occurs when you enter a different state as the new state tax has not been paid.   But it really depends on the state.  Iowa only allows importation of one bottle of hard liquor.   Colorado allows you to pay the state tax on imported liquor making it legal for personal use.  About $.43 per bottle.  If you resold it now you would be the importer and need a license.   Most states are up to 2 bottles tax free. 

Military officers have lots of entertaining requirements.
My neighbor in Colorado was a full bird, and drove to Texas twice yearly, to cross into Mexico for liquor runs.

Early 70s came home on leave from Ft BraggWent back with 24 Cases of COORs beer in the back seat of my car. 

Didn't make any money on itTook orders before I left.

Green chili's were good to take back too.

Largo

19 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

So it just looks like an ordinary commercial-sized purchase for a bar or restaurant or a group of them.

Just dodging PA taxes.  PA plates but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were only going to NYC.

Archived