SASS Wire Forum

Happy National Day of the Cowboy!

Black Hills Barb

Did you or your club do anything to celebrate the National Day of the Cowboy?
Our club did an Intro to Cowboy Action Shooting.  It was our first time for the event.  Despite the heat and humidity, we had some brave souls join us.  Our guests received a shooter packet with some SASS swag, an issue or two of the Chronicle, and info on our club (both for them and a few extras to share).  We spent roughly an hour doing an overview of the SASS Shooter Handbook.  Then we offered one on one instruction in 3 different bays for pistol, rifle, shotgun.  Shooters had some choices to make with all the firearms we had available.  We took a brief lunch break and then allowed the shooters to try them all together in a scenario.  We had so much fun and met some wonderful people.  The smiles on their faces were priceless.  The day was FREE!  We were so fortunate to have a generous donation of ammo that allowed us to offer such a great event. 
I did post some pics on our Facebook page El Posse Grande, if anyone would like to have a look.  It was our first time holding such an event but it seemed well received and really brought much happiness and laughter that we will likely do it again....and again.

Didn't know anything about it! No one around here did anything, I wish I would have known. Even though we're not true cowboys we do sorta carry on the tradition . Happy National Cowboy Day!B)

The National Day of the Cowboy was declared in 2005 and the date to celebrate was set as the 4th Saturday in July.  Since our shoots occur on the 4th Sunday, we figured we could roll our match set up day into a celebration and recruitment event.  Since we had to reschedule our state match, it gave us even more time to put an event together.  Now we are hoping to work on making it an annual thing.  We had help from some cowboys from other clubs and are also discussing moving the event between clubs in order to reach more potential shooters.  Time will tell.  Having a national date to celebrate our cowboy heritage is a good way to promote CAS.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-day-of-the-cowboy-fourth-saturday-in-july-currently-being-researched/

this is first i have heard of it but i am pleased to know it exists and i shall mark it on my calendar for future , glad to know that every national day is not some special interest groups attempt to become relevant - this is established in history that cannot be torn down , 

Yes to all Cowboys, Cowgirls and those who are Cowboy at heart and in spirit, its a great day!  Remember Cowboy is a verb and not a noun.....

Hashknife Ride 2018 mailing.jpg

Our first National Day of the Cowboy/Intro to CAS was a success  - but it was hot and humid.  The attendees were all very interested in the sport.  Their attention to all aspects of instruction was over the top.  They all demonstrated excellent gun handling skills and asked very good questions.  One gentleman spent the night in a nearby hotel and shot his first match with us on Sunday.  Two folks drove 2 1/2 hours to join us. 

Each participant receive a "shooter packet".  It contained two Chronicles, several SASS brochures as well as several of our posse brochures.  We are hoping they share the extra brochures with friends.  We added some swag we got from SASS and business cards from some vendors of guns, gear, bullets, etc.  They got a light lunch of a small hoagie, chips and bottled water.  We are already discussing doing it again next year.

Archived