SASS Wire Forum

Tales from Behind the Plate

While umpiring a game of 12 year-olds today:

Runner on 1st, one out.

The batter hit a fly ball straight up the elevator shaft, maybe 10 feet down the 1st base line and slightly into foul territory.  It was about a foot into foul territory when the catcher tried to catch the ball.  The ball bounced off his glove -- AND WAS OVER *FOUL* TERRITORY WHEN CONTACT WAS MADE -- and then hit the ground and rolled into fair territory.

I'm not asking about the rule.  I know the rule:  I put up both hands and called, "FOUL!"  Any time a defensive player touches the ball in foul territory, the ball is dead and it is a foul ball since the catcher didn't make the catch.  

I was a little amazed that the batting team's coach didn't know the rule on this one.  He appealed, and I explained the rule to him, while some idiot woman in the crowd kept yelling at me, "IT ROLLED FAIR!!!"  Oh my goodness, she was annoying. 

She.  Was.  Annoying.

I ignored her, and she kept saying it repeatedly.  Between innings I spoke to the head coach about his fan.  I didn't bother reminding him that league rule modifications allow umpires to eject spectators (yes...Oh yes, they do!), but I'm sure he was aware of the thinly-veiled threat.  I assume he said something to her because she didn't say a word for the rest of the game.  

Funny, I came home today and quizzed my own 13 year-old, and he knew the rule.  The kid is quite the player and wants to take up umpiring with me when he's old enough.

nothing like ball game to bring out the worst in parents

a few years ago at girls soccer game a real fight broke out ... 20 treated and release 

3 taken to hospital 

will stick with Cowboy shooten  call  DQ on me ... " you are right " and shake the TOs hand ..then learn from it 

I agree with J-Bar:  it’s better to call fairly and win the respect of your players, than lose the respect of bad actors.

Going back a long time, parents were too busy working and taking care of the house to worry about how kids played a BB game.  PAL and Boy's Clubs games were played with teen aged umpires during the day.  The umpires were not very good and neither were we.  We got to the park and back by ourselves.  We just had fun.

Archived