SASS Wire Forum

J.M. Marlin Question

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

I understand if one has an older J.M. Marlin, (not a "Remlin"/"Marlington") with the cross-bolt safety, that it can be removed, and a screw/bolt/insert, can be installed in the hole in the receiver, where the safety was. 

Yes, I know...if this can be done, it will void the warranty...and as an old man once told me..."it may not be 'ethyl' ", but...I could not care less about that.

Is that something that can be done?  If so, I presume some of the Pards have done it, and can add some wisdom about how, and what, to obtain, and from whom,

to "git-r-done".  Of the three J.M. Marlin's I own, only one has this safety. 

Regardless...I will say thank you, in advance, for your thoughts/advice/wisdom/in-put.

Yer Ole Saddle Pal...

W.K. 

What is your objective? 

Do you want to disguise the fact that it came with a safety?   Or do you just want it locked it in the "fire" position so it won't accidentally be pushed to "safe"?

To fix it to stay on "fire" is easy and free.  Remove the buttstock (one screw).  Find the hole on the left side of the receiver that will have some kind of putty in it.  Pick the putty out that covers a set screw that put tension on the safely detent.  Place the safely on the "fire" position.  Taken an allen wrench and crank down the set screw.  Replace the buttstock.   Done.

To return safey back to operational condition,  reverse the procedure. 

There are 3 good options to void your cross bolt safety:

1.  Order the cross bolt safety 'PLUG' from Longhunter or Slick McClade and replace your existing safety with the plug.

You will no longer have a cross bolt safety device in your rifle..... but if you ever want it back, just remove the Plug and

replace the factory unit.

2.  You can do as Warden mentioned above.

3.  you can push your safety to the 'FIRE'  position and put an 'O' ring on it.  This will help prevent pushing the safety to

its 'safe' position without intending to do so.   To regain usage of the cross bolt safety, just remove the 'O' ring.

There are a couple other methods which I won't mention.

..........Widder

40 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

There are 3 good options to void your cross bolt safety:

1.  Order the cross bolt safety 'PLUG' from Longhunter or Slick McClade and replace your existing safety with the plug.

You will no longer have a cross bolt safety device in your rifle..... but if you ever want it back, just remove the Plug and

replace the factory unit.

2.  You can do as Warden mentioned above.

3.  you can push your safety to the 'FIRE'  position and put an 'O' ring on it.  This will help prevent pushing the safety to

its 'safe' position without intending to do so.   To regain usage of the cross bolt safety, just remove the 'O' ring.

There are a couple other methods which I won't mention.

..........Widder

The o-ring is a 1/4" and will stop it from accidentally being pushed to safe. 

Randy

Here is a YouTube video showing how simple it is to disable the safety with an o’ring, as noted above.  

There are other videos that show you how to remove the safety completely, if that’s what you want to do.

Cat Brules

I bought a safety replacement ’screw’ for my JM cowboy limited 30 yrs ago and put a simple ‘o’ ring on my wife’s carbine. Both are still installed. A very worthwhile investment/mod.

Archived