SASS Wire Forum

It’s the little things

Utah Bob #35998

Didn’t do much shooting before the forced absence of the past 4 months and only a bit since returning. Lots of work to do around the place.
So this afternoon I got the old Frankford Arsenal tumbler out and cleaned the dust off. When I fired it up it hardly wobbled. I thought I heard something break loose in the innards. 
So I took the bottom plate off to find that mud daubers had made a condo inside while I was gone. Knocked the rock hard mud out and it ran fine. So I dumped some .38 brass in it and went to make dinner. 
I went back out after eating and shut ‘er down. When I watched all that gleaming brass tumble out and catch the rays of the afternoon sun like a rain of tiny gold ingots, I’m afraid I giggled a bit like a schoolgirl. It’s the little things.
Is that wrong? 

:lol:

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Didn’t do much shooting before the forced absence of the past 4 months and only a bit since returning. Lots of work to do around the place.

but this afternoon I got the old Frankford Arsenal tumbler out and cleaned the dust of. When I fired it up it hardly wobbled. I though 

I heard something break loose in the innards. 

So I took the bottom plate off to find that mud dauber had made a condo inside while I was gone. Knocked the rock hard mud out and it ran fine. So 8 dumped some brass in it and went to make dinner. 
I went back out after eating and shut ‘er down. When I watched all that gleaming brass tumble out and catch the rays of the afternoon sun like a rain of tiny gold ingots, I giggled like a schoolgirl.
Is that wrong?

Nope!!  Makes me feel good all under when I see those shiny little fellers cascade out of the separator!!

I’m new to reloading. I have no local mentor to ask questions. 
I’ve been using a Thumbler tumbler with crushed English Walnuts (lizard bedding) and unused dryer sheets for 2 1/2 hours. The brass is clean but not real shiny. The inside of the shells are still dark with powder residue. I don’t know if that is sufficiently clean to safely reload. Is there anything I should be doing different?

Thank you for any help,

Cactus Jack

Corncob media and polish.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124198878

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Corncob media and polish.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124198878

Ok, I can do that. What about the residue inside the cases?

25 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Add bright shiny home cast bullets and balls to enhance your experience!

:)

Surely not to the tumbler? I know don’t call you Sherly. :D

Thank you both,

Cactus Jack

42 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I’ve been using a Thumbler tumbler with crushed English Walnuts (lizard bedding) and unused dryer sheets for 2 1/2 hours. The brass is clean but not real shiny. The inside of the shells are still dark with powder residue. I don’t know if that is sufficiently clean to safely reload. Is there anything I should be doing different?

Thank you for any help,

Cactus Jack

I use the same media in a vibrator tumbler with a teaspoon or so of liquid car polish. Smokeless cases come out bright and shiny where BP cases have stains. Both are just as clean and makes no difference in reloading or shooting. 

Is the residue in your case actually residue or is it just stained a charcoal gray?  You might find a minute amount of residue like a thin film on the bottom, but generally you don’t need to worry about it. Our loads are well below the limits of the cartridge. If the flash hole is clear and plainly visible, you’re good to go. 

if you’re still concerned, run the tumbler a bit longer or change your media more often. 

Good luck!

PS, if you add polish, run the tumbler for 20 seconds or so before adding the brass. Otherwise you’ll get plugs of polish and media in your cases that has to be dug out!

9 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

1. Is the residue in your case actually residue or is it just stained a charcoal gray?  You might find a minute amount of residue like a thin film on the bottom, but generally you don’t need to worry about it. Our loads are well below the limits of the cartridge. If the flash hole is clear and plainly visible, you’re good to go. 

2. if you’re still concerned, run the tumbler a bit longer or change your media more often. 

3. PS, if you add polish, run the tumbler for 20 seconds or so before adding the brass. Otherwise you’ll get plugs of polish and media in your cases that has to be dug out!

1. Probably stain as you say. I’ve yet to punch out the expended primers. That should assure the flash hole will be clear. I have a manual primer pocket cleaner. I’ll check each one carefully.
2. How many cases should a load of media clean? I’ve tumbled about 1100 cases (~500+ each of two calibers) all smokeless. I don’t have a tremendous amount of empty shells yet.

3. Thanks for that I’d of been really frustrated if I found the plugs you mention.

I am setting up in my garage until I can fix up a shed in the back yard for reloading. I need to get climate control working in the shed (AC). 

14 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

1. I have a manual primer pocket cleaner. 

You won’t need to worry about that unless cases are really old and been reloaded many times. I’ve never had the need to do it for cowboy ammo. 

2. How many cases should a load of media clean? I’ve tumbled about 1100 cases (~500+ each of two calibers) all smokeless. I don’t have a tremendous amount of empty shells yet.

I’ve no idea. That’s not very many cases though. I change my media about every 8 months or when it turns pretty dark.

6 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Thank you for any help,

Cactus Jack

I use corncob media with polish usually Dillon rapid polish. I have used nu finish car polish it works good. As in perfect shine inside and out it’s not required as long as don’t have stuff taking volume or blocking flash hole. 

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So this afternoon I got the old Frankford Arsenal tumbler out and cleaned the dust off. When I fired it up it hardly wobbled. I thought I heard something break loose in the innards. 
So I took the bottom plate off to find that mud daubers had made a condo inside while I was gone. Knocked the rock hard mud out and it ran fine. So I dumped some .38 brass in it and went to make dinner. 
I went back out after eating and shut ‘er down. When I watched all that gleaming brass tumble out and catch the rays of the afternoon sun like a rain of tiny gold ingots, I’m afraid I giggled a bit like a schoolgirl. It’s the little things.
Is that wrong? 

Only the schoolgirl part......:P

LL

9 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Ok, I can do that. What about the residue inside the cases?

Thank you both,

Cactus Jack

To get completely shiny on inside you will need to go to wet tumbling. media will take bulk af debris out of inside but doesn't really polish it.

Archived