Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Utah Bob #35998

What have I done?

Recommended Posts

I bought a specialty cookbook for kidney disease patients. So I was planning on some hamburgers tonight but they’re not the best thing for Carol. There’s a recipe in the book for, God help me, a veggie burger. I’ve had vegan burgers before. Never enjoyed one.

But I dove in to this. White beans, onion, garlic, thyme, pepperoncini, flour, egg, ground pepper. Rinsed and drained the Northern beans, mixed it all and made patties, fried em in a little olive oil about 5 minutes per side.

Slapped em on some Ball Park hamburger buns with mustard and lettuce.

I forced a smile and bit in.

The thing tasted pretty dang good! I was amazed. Carol really liked it too.

 

Full disclosure: I did pair it with a scratch built Margarita.
But I think it would be fine with a Coke. :)

Perhaps this ole dog can learn a few new tricks!

  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will bet the food was good, but I am sure the company was better. :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What kinda Tequila did you use in the Margaritas?

                                 ;)
 

 

Cat Brules

Edited by Cat Brules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of tasty burger recipes using various legumes.  There are even some decent commercial products out there now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds pretty good, then! I haven't tried one, but the "impossible burgers" are supposed to be pretty good. My youngest daughter, a long time vegetarian, had one, and told me she has been eating the older style vegetarian burgers for so long, it tasted a little too much like beef for her liking.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DocWard said:

but the "impossible burgers" are supposed to be pretty good.

 

Had one of the Burger King ones, it was OK.  Didn't taste quite like beef, and the texture was odd.  Tried some patties that we cooked up at home.  Same deal.  Not bad, but not quite like beef and a texture that is hard to describe.  But, face it, a lot of the extra stuff we put on burgers masks the taste of the patty anyway.   

 

The price point is around high end burger meat, somewhere between $8 and $10 per pound.  Can make a good bean or lentil burger for less than half that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno what you've did, Uncle Bob ......

 

  ............... but you've did it now ........ :o

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I bought a specialty cookbook for kidney disease patients. So I was planning on some hamburgers tonight but they’re not the best thing for Carol. There’s a recipe in the book for, God help me, a veggie burger. I’ve had vegan burgers before. Never enjoyed one.

But I dove in to this. White beans, onion, garlic, thyme, pepperoncini, flour, egg, ground pepper. Rinsed and drained the Northern beans, mixed it all and made patties, fried em in a little olive oil about 5 minutes per side.

Slapped em on some Ball Park hamburger buns with mustard and lettuce.

I forced a smile and bit in.

The thing tasted pretty dang good! I was amazed. Carol really liked it too.

 

Full disclosure: I did pair it with a scratch built Margarita.
But I think it would be fine with a Coke. :)

Perhaps this ole dog can learn a few new tricks!


How would you rate the heat of your pepperoncini?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morningstar Farms has some decent non meat stuff. I like the Breakfast Patties and links. They also have a black bean burger that's pretty decent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Morningstar Farms has some decent non meat stuff. I like the Breakfast Patties and links. They also have a black bean burger that's pretty decent.

 

I love the flavor of their breakfast stuff, but not the texture. I did find if I slice them small and toss them in with scrambled eggs, it does well. The seasonings for me are spot on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

What kinda Tequila did you use in the Margaritas?

                                 ;)
 

 

Cat Brules

 

B2C967C0-38DD-40EF-891C-A852B68E219E.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:


How would you rate the heat of your pepperoncini?

Mild.

More flavorful than hot. Recipe actually called for red bell pepper but we’re not fans so I substituted the pepperoncini.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Morningstar Farms has some decent non meat stuff. I like the Breakfast Patties and links. They also have a black bean burger that's pretty decent.

The breakfast links are really the only veggie stuff I stock in the freezer. They’re apparently pretty popular. The store is frequently out of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just tried some bratwurst from https://lightlife.com/our-food/?active_filter=sausages&gclid=CjwKCAjwsO_4BRBBEiwAyagRTb42R2_NvuFiDDWLjLGAGCK_Id-EUqIRIvKkvkD_B9pNpJhWG43NExoCeSoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Good flavor.  Texture between bratwurst and bockwurst.  At Safeway,  9 bucks for 4 quarter pound links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

 

B2C967C0-38DD-40EF-891C-A852B68E219E.jpeg

Me gusta, hermano!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My oldest grand daughter just went through a year of a (very adamant) vegan phase.  It drove all of us nuts sometimes.  But, thankfully she now seems to be over this and is beginning to eat meat.  But, this meant that both my fridges and pantry, as well as my daughter's are chock full of vegan stuff.  

I gotta admit, though, that if cooked right you can make vegan stuff pretty darned tasty.  My specialty is Latin style pink beans and according to all that have tried them they are "The Bomb", so I had to alter my recipe to suit her vegan style.  Example, I start by frying bacon and chorizos and then add all kinds of stuff, so I had to go with veggie bacon and "soyrizo" which is meatless soy chorizo.   It's all depending on what and how you mix ingredients.  But, as soon as I go through all the vegan stuff I've got left I will be going back to my good ole artery clogging stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would deer meat work for her? Most will run ya 98-100% fat free. Sometimes you add a little pork so it sticks together. Here doe tag $7, processing $70. You can end up with 80-100 pounds of meat. Out there you'll probably get more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This Kidney friendly cooking isn't as simple as going vegan. there are a number of fruits and vegetables which  you would think are healthy, are actually on the Bad list. Like bananas, tomatoes, and Potatoes. It all depends on a number of factors like potassium, phosphorous, sodium, calcium and protein levels.

Heavy protein meets are not a good thing. Some meats are okay in moderation.

I'll git it figured out.

Edited by Utah Bob #35998
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

This Kidney friendly cooking isn't as simple as going vegan. there are a number of fruits and vegetables which  you would think are healthy, are actually on the Bad list. Like bananas, tomatoes, and Potatoes. It all depends on a number of factors like potassium, phosphorous, sodium, calcium and protein levels.

Heavy protein meets are not a good thing. Some meats are okay in moderation.

I'll git it figured out.

Experimenting is the fun part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing beats the hamburgers at the Greyfriar’s Bobby Pub in Edinburgh as the worst hamburger in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Nothing beats the hamburgers at the Greyfriar’s Bobby Pub in Edinburgh as the worst hamburger in the world.

Haggisburgers?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In-N-Out Burger is my favorite.

 

Cat Brules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like 5 Guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.