SASS Wire Forum

Night Sky

Subdeacon Joe

Speaking of night sky, my oldest daughter and I went out last night and were able to spot Comet Neowise. Kind of cool to see. Just needed some dark sky and a pair of binoculars.

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What time of night and which direction did you look?

About 10:30 our time. Last night it was just a bit below and to the left of the big dipper. 

https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise

7 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What time of night and which direction did you look?

WNW, under Ursa Major.  Wait for at least nautical twilight.  Astronomical twilight would be better, but it might be set by then depending on where you live.   https://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?city_name=Lenexa%2C+Kansas%2C+USA&latitude=38.9635&longitude=94.7885&latitude_n_s=N&longitude_e_w=W&timezone=-6&dst_type=1&ianatz=&btop=&back=USA&month=7&year=2020&want_twi_civ=1&want_twi_naut=1&want_twi_astro=1&want_mphase=1&want_mrms=1&time_type=0&wsom=0

Twi A: 4:24am
Twi N: 5:05am
Twi: 5:43am
Sunrise: 6:13am
Moonrise: 10:31am
Sunset: 8:38pm
Twi: 9:09pm
Twi N: 9:46pm
Twi A: 10:28pm
Moonset: 11:33pm

I grabbed the binoculars as I went out to walk the dogs. It was visible from my driveway with my porch light on through binoculars. I doubt you'll be able to see it with the naked eye. If you face the big dipper, and look at the two stars that make up the "front" of the cup, judge the distance between the two stars as you see them. Follow the line between them to the West, about twice that distance, and once it is dark enough you should be able to spot a fuzzy blob with a tail going upward.

Archived