SASS Wire Forum

12 gauge Red Dot recipe

Shane Not Sean

Thanks to all the help on my other thread regarding a Red Dot .357 recipe, I got settled on 3.4 grains (with the help of Mudflat Mike today and his chrono).

But I had way too much Red Dot in my shot shells, which are pushing 1 1/8 oz of shot.  So now if you all wouldn’t mind chiming in on your Red Dot shot shell recipes, I’d appreciate it.  If anyone is interested in what I’m reloading with, I’m using a P/W 800B with C upgrade.  If you use a P/W and don’t know how many grains you’re throwing, just tell me the powder bushing letter.  Thanks again!

1 ounce shot.  13.5 to 14 grains of Red Dot. (I don't change the bushing in my MEC to get an exact load.  Anywhere in that range is fine.  Claybusters pink wad for 1 ounce.  I like a bit more shot in my pattern.  Many use less shot and a different wad.

12.0 grains, 7/8 or 1 oz shot, which is well below the lowest recommended minimum above of 16.5 grains.

I know someone who used 9.0 grains, 7/8 oz shot for many years - you could actually see the ball of shot :blink: He finally bumped it up to 10.0 grains a few years ago - maybe he finally got a wad stuck in the barrel with it.

7/8 oz of 71/2, Grey Claybusters CB0178-12, STS hulls and Federal  209A with 14.8 gn of Red Dot.

Mild enough Jersey Bratt doesn't complain, more than addequate for any knock downs.

Less than Alliant recommended, from above

Imis

14 grn Red Dot, 7/8 oz shot. Grey clay Buster wads. 

ive not chronoed the load, but I’m guessing around 1000FPS. Adequate for SASS targets, easy to shoot. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:29 AM, Null N. Void said:

1 ounce shot.  13.5 to 14 grains of Red Dot. (I don't change the bushing in my MEC to get an exact load.  Anywhere in that range is fine.  Claybusters pink wad for 1 ounce.  I like a bit more shot in my pattern.  Many use less shot and a different wad.

My load almost exactly.

1 hour ago, Null N. Void said:

Great minds think alike!

Don't tell my wife. She'd be not happy there's two of us thinking the same! Lol

Here's the 12ga load I'm using for Cowboy Action:

Hull: Winchester AA

Primer: Fed 209A

Wad: Claybuster CB0178-12 (grey wad)

Powder: Red Dot, 14grn

Shot: #7 1/2 or #8, 7/8 oz

MEC Sizemaster press with a 302-78 special bar and a #25 powder bushing.

YMMV

Archived