SASS Wire Forum

Training or Workshop Listings or Suggestions

Stan

This has probably been asked and answered multiple times, but I sure can't find it. Is there a master listing of training or workshops (if they exist) anywhere? Just discovered SASS and I'm already hooked. Would like a slow walk through the various competitions though before jumping in. Group training seems like it might be the way to go. Any direction or suggestions would be appreciated!

Usually larger shoots will have workshops  to help with transitions etc. Try googling Cowboy action and you should come up with several short videos to help you. The best way is go to a match and you should be able to find folks that are willing to help on training, gun selection, clothing and anything else you are interested in.

kR

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

This has probably been asked and answered multiple times, but I sure can't find it. Is there a master listing of training or workshops (if they exist) anywhere? Just discovered SASS and I'm already hooked. Would like a slow walk through the various competitions though before jumping in. Group training seems like it might be the way to go. Any direction or suggestions would be appreciated!

Don't know where you are but High Country Cowboys outside of Ashville NC is having just such an event tomorrow 7/25 .

Some clubs offer introductory sessions.  Check with a local club.  Long Hunter's training videos are posted on YouTube.  This is his introductory video.

Go to a shoot near you.  Ask if any of the shooters would act as your mentor.  One on one coaching will be more effective and safer when using live ammo.  Some shooters, especially the faster ones, like to focus on the match itself during the actual shooting, but will be much more approachable before and after the match.

Remember Yogi Berra’s advice; “You can observe a lot just by watching.”  ;)

On 7/24/2020 at 6:28 AM, Stan said:

If you're anywhere close to Middle Tennessee I'd be happy to walk you through some of it.

Randy

Thanks for the advice everyone! Should have been more specific. I'm currently about 30 miles west of Philadelphia. I have also been in contact with 5 clubs within an hour and a half drive. I plan on attending one of each monthly event. I'll check with them as well. Was just curious as if there was a formal training program or workshop that made the rounds. I'll figure it out! Appreciate it.

YouTube.

Go to YouTube and search for “cowboy action shooting,” CAS, or SASS, or cowboy shooting, etc.

You will find there on YouTube, a large number of videos for training, gun handling, rules, etc.

don’t just read, but study, and SASS rule book.  You’ll find it as one of the Locked Topics, above.

also query YouTube for each specific gun that you are shooting, and you will find a wealth of information on each one of them.

Cat Brules

Archived