SASS Wire Forum

Names for your NAA's

Highwall

I once saw a topic for naming your guns but couldn't find again. Maybe it was too long ago. So I will start this topic.

I have always named my guns and my trucks over the decades. My wife has always thought it silly but my daughters found it really cool.

I've had names like Wail-0n (waylon) for my Anaconda to Maggie M'Gill for my Silverado. 

My Pug is officially named   Pugnacious - meaning belligerent, aggressive or hostile! Perfect!

10 1/2 inch stainless Super Blackhawk, .44mag "Baby".

.45 Uberti cattlemen sn's ending in 02 and 13 "Deuce and Lucky"

1948 model, high mileage biped " Imis"

Never have.

No, wait.

I do call them names sometimes if they give me trouble. :D

I have only named one gun. “Brutus” is my S&W 327 Night Guard 8 shot .357 Magnum revolver. 

Here it is with my Glock 45. My other favorite handgun. 

5F6D2DFE-B367-404A-A466-F6847F61A0EE.thumb.jpeg.21408e32d37be618023dfd039fd6ddf9.jpeg

This subject pops up every now and again, and there seem to be two different types of answers.

"Yeah I named my guns Sally and Suzy and Biscuit Licker and Big Walleye."

"Naming your gun is one of the stupidest things people can do. It's a tool. I would no more name my gun then I would name a screwdriver."

And I've thought about those two answers. And I believe the people that name their guns have very few guns.

If I only had five or six guns, I might could see my way clear to naming them. But let's look at your average Cowboy shooter. He has two pistols a rifle and a shotgun. A third pistol a second rifle and a second shotgun as backups. A Buffalo Gun, a long-range lever, a derringer and a pocket pistol. That's 11. And his wife has the same, so that's 22. That's a lot of guns to name.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This subject pops up every now and again, and there seem to be two different types of answers.

"Naming your gun is one of the stupidest things people can do. It's a tool. I would no more name my gun then I would name a screwdriver."

And I've thought about those two answers. And I believe the people that name their guns have very few guns.

If I only had five or six guns, I might could see my way clear to naming them. But let's look at your average Cowboy shooter. He has two pistols a rifle and a shotgun. A third pistol a second rifle and a second shotgun as backups. A Buffalo Gun, a long-range lever, a derringer and a pocket pistol. That's 11. And his wife has the same, so that's 22. That's a lot of guns to name.

Yep...I just named my very favorite. The rest go by their given names. ;)

My parents gave me a Colt SAA .45 with a5 1/2" barrel for my high school graduation in 1960.  The gun was made in 1959.  Over the years it sported several kinds on grips, rode in many holsters, was re-blued twice, had springds and screws swapped out, and traveled overseas with me  couple of times.  Somewhere along the line it gained the name Sam...Sam Colt.

No other gun I have owned has ever been named.

I dont make a practice of naming inanimate objects but certain things just end up with a name. I.E. my 44/40 vaqueros was dubbed Flotsam and Jetsam one day at the range and it's stuck. When I was in the Marines it was mandatory to name your rifle. I dont remember what bs I called my m16 in boot camp but when I hit the fleet and was given my machinegun it got the name Janet.  Ms Jackson if you're nasty. Ive named a few trucks over the years but this is a family affair so i'll not mention them in polite company 

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

"Naming your gun is one of the stupidest things people can do. It's a tool.

Unlike giving yourself an alias name? LOL

It's all just fun and games. Enjoy!

22 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What is an NAA?

Sorry, I posted on the wrong forum! LOL!

senior moment I reckon.

I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me!

20 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What is an NAA?

3 minutes ago, Highwall said:

Sorry, I posted on the wrong forum! LOL!

senior moment I reckon.

Still waiting for an answer to that question......

2 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

North American Arms 

7 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

7 hours ago, Highwall said:

North American Arms 

NAA make those nifty little single action revolvers. 
https://northamericanarms.com/

I think if I owned one I would call it “Mouse”. That way if anyone ever says to me “What do you mean ‘we’? So, what do ya got...a mouse in your pocket?”

I can say “Yes.” :D

Howdy,

I have an old carbine that just shoots great and everybody that

tries it says Sweet.

So thats how Sweety got a name.

Best

CR

I call ALL my guns "my friends"!!!

This little guy is my little buddy!

IMG_1539.JPG

I used to do a lot of duck and goose hunting. My goose gun is a Remington SP 10...10gauge semi auto. It got the name Boomer...

This is Kermit.

IMG_20200724_073223.thumb.jpg.166abf6c1a6f5034455ebf5cec3c1c27.jpg

That just seemed correct, since it is green.

Funny though. When I got this, a few years later, I had no desire to name it.

1530950805_Beretta929mmright.jpg.90e3e95b0723c39c7b27235b7650884f.jpg

Kermit is the only gun I own that has a name.

21 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I call ALL my guns "my friends"!!!

This little guy is my little buddy!

IMG_1539.JPG

I have one that is very much like the above  ........  except mine is cap and ball (yes, it is a cap and ball on the same frame size)

............... I call it "my little friend" .......  :ph34r:

cartridge gun of this size would be illegal here :mellow:

9 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

I just assumed it was a typo for SAA.  :)

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Third type of answer.

No. And I don’t care. :D

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

........................ I have two(2) screwdrivers named orange juice and vodka ..............

12 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........................ I have two(2) screwdrivers named orange juice and vodka ..............

Bada Bing! :lol:

The wife is in charge of naming stuff around here.  Not an animal crosses the property that she don't name.  We got a hawk named Russell, a stray cat named Bunny, a doe deer named Doris, and another called Chirp.  Her cars are named Hector the Honda and Orson the Mazda Miata.  The Crows are all Frank.  

So I don't feel the need to name my guns, truck, motorcycle or tools. 

My wife named my 1970 1/2 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 "Iron Mistress".  She said I spent more time and money on it that I did on her and suggested I get girlfriend instead.  :rolleyes:

I don't name much.  Had two kids and still have trouble remembering their names...and that's be over fifty years.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:45 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What is an NAA?

On 7/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, Fence Cutter said:

Sorry about that! I thought I was just posting it but somehow got it under Fence Cutter quotes.:wacko:

3 hours ago, Highwall said:

Sorry about that! I thought I was just posting it but somehow got it under Fence Cutter quotes.:wacko:

That's understandable.

We all know that unless we wrap our electronic gadgets in tin foil, something or someone occasionally takes control......:ph34r:

Archived