SASS Wire Forum

How Cleveland Indians "Took a Knee."

Subdeacon Joe

No, not the same way Tania did.

July 19 · 

The Cleveland Indians did this during the National Anthem yesterday. It's a way to show respect for the flag and the Anthem, and it also shows support for social justice for ALL, not just one race. There was no kneeling, no raised fists, no protesting at all. Smart move. Will the NFL and NBA watch and follow a good example?

Not a chance.  Unity, support, and respect doesn't spread hate and division.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and baseball

My team,;) I hope they don’t disappoint me and start kneeling ! 
GO TRIBE!!!

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My team,;) I hope they don’t disappoint me and start kneeling ! 
GO TRIBE!!!

That is the kind of "statement" or "protest" I can live with.  Standing, respectful, but with a visible show of support for all on the team.

Now, the whole REASON for all the protests, I think, is based on a lie that statistics don't support.

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I think my wife said it was the Yankees who, before the Anthem, as a team took a knee, then, as it started to play they stood as a team.

I have no problem with that either.

Before the anthem, the Dodgers and Giants knelt for a while on the first and third baselines, all holding a long black ribbon.  During the anthem, some knelt, some didn't.  Some who didn't placed a hand on the shoulder of a kneeling teammate.  

To get your point across, whatever that point may be, I have to believe that one has to asked themselves this question; "Is what I am doing uniting, or is what I am doing dividing?"

If we are all to come together on whatever is being presented, we have to be persuaded.  It has to be presented in a tactful, respectful, honest way.   

Regardless of how you stand on the subject, from what I have observed, since day one of all this...kneeling is not uniting us, it is dividing us.

For some, it is a protest against what was, and what they perceive as what is.  For others, it is disrespectful to the symbols, and the ideals, that imperfect humans keep trying to achieve...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That adds up to division.

"A house, divided against itself, cannot stand." 

There has to be a better way.  

W.K. 

I am White. 
I am a man. 
I am not guilty.

I am not privileged.

I served my country.
I am a public servant. 
I love my country. 
I love my flag. 
I will kneel for no one. 
I will bow to no one.  
I am an American. 

4 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

To get your point across, whatever that point may be, I have to believe that one has to asked themselves this question; "Is what I am doing uniting, or is what I am doing dividing?"

Well that depends. A protest is seldom a uniting action. The actions of the colonists in Boston Harbor and at Lexington actually divided the population into Rebels and Torres, rather than uniting everyone. It was years before that got sorted out. Whenever their is a protest, there will be opposition. So asking yourself if you are uniting or dividing becomes a question of Who am I uniting?

Consequences of protests are rarely considered because in the mind of the protestors, their cause is just and is of paramount importance. History is full of protests that  succeeded and and protests that failed.

I could go on at length about the particular situation the country finds itself now but this is not the venue for that. All I will say is that it’s getting complicated. I hope we come through it okay. :(

There is a more correct way, to get a point across, and there is a less correct way. If someone wants to persuade me about something, they should not alienate me right from the start, or have an "in your face" approach. I am less likely to even listen, if they do that, or if they start name-calling. It seems, in this case (kneeling) anyway, it has divided in such a way that a lot of folks may never consider it to be the right, or correct, way to "protest" this issue, and get their point across. 

Of course, hindsight is, many times, twenty-twenty, so looking back, many will criticize how all this began, and speculate on the motives...whether they be selfish, or selfless. Kneeling will never persuade some folks to look at the real issues.  All they will ever see is disrespect...and it will cause some to close their minds, to a lot of things.  Yep, many, but no all, protests will seriously divide. Protesting for food, for hungry children, like as not, won't divide too much, except perhaps on how to fund it. Kinda depends not only what is being protested, as well as how it is done. Protests can unite, given some time, and given some consideration on the topic, and using some logic, and common sense. Humans sometimes suppress it, but we all know what is right, and what is wrong. It is pretty much hard-wired into our minds. Before starting down this trail, it is wise to consider how to persuade someone to listen to your side of the matter, and to figure out how to do that, so we can eventually come to a place we can have some common ground, and perhaps be more united. As an American, I want this country to be equal to all it's citizens, for there is only one race...the human race.  As a veteran, I cannot support or consider it is acceptable, or right, to disrespect of our flag, or anthem, or our documents, to make a point.  I know too many people, that are six feet under, that died for those things. The flag, our anthem, our documents, were produced by imperfect human beings, but the symbols, and documents, themselves, are what we all should aspire to, and work toward...and respect.  Someone wants to improve things?  Great. Study how to do it, and do it a better way. This could have been done in a better way.

You want to protest what is wrong with this country, then make an effort to point out that we need to strive to achieve what our flag, our anthem, and our documents stand for, and say...and let's strive to achieve that.  You want something, you don't disrespect, and spit on it....you strive to achieve it.     

I was so disappointed seeing MLB players taking a knee during the National Anthem.  I see taking a knee during the National Anthem as an act of disrespect for my nation.  Even with all her faults, my country is bigger than any one citizen, one group, one opinion, movement, or protest. Taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespect of all the good that has made my country the greatest nation in the history of mankind.  As an American, you have the right to offend me.  Americans have the right to be disrespectful and offensive.  I'll not watch MLB because of MLB players taking a knee during the National Anthem. 

Here's a good place to take a knee.

ed-veterans-p1.jpg

Yeah I have no problem not watching sports anymore. I head the NFL is doing a black national anthem before games and no more national anthem..... Yeah I won't watch another game if that happens

I agree with Waxahachie Kid, I don't respond positively to in your face, aggressive, loud, insulting rhetoric. If you want a respectful discussion, fine, let's go. But if you want to lecture, accuse, insult or badger, then I will turn away and leave.  What concerns me is when I listen to what some of the "protesters" are saying, it seems to be that they don't want equality, but rather preferential treatment and privilege. They aren't after equal justice, they want lighter or no sentencing for crimes they commit, and the other side is giving it to them!!  I truly believe America is in a fight for its very soul this November.

ESPN didn't show the National Anthem last night, they just started the game. Good move ESPN, I don't need to see any bullcrap!!

BTW anyone see the clip of Dr. Fauci throwing out the first pitch? How embarrassing!! He sure didn't flatten his "curve" :lol:

59 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

BTW anyone see the clip of Dr. Fauci throwing out the first pitch? How embarrassing!! He sure didn't flatten his "curve" :lol:

I didn’t watch but I heard it curved to the left.

:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I didn’t watch but I heard it curved to the left.

:ph34r:

"Just a bit outside" :lol:

8 hours ago, Black RZR said:

Yeah I have no problem not watching sports anymore. I head the NFL is doing a black national anthem before games and no more national anthem..... Yeah I won't watch another game if that happens

That is incorrect. The Star Spangled Banner will still be played. Lift Every Voice and Sing will be played preceding the Anthem. 
Kinda like playing Oh Canada  and the Star Spangled Banner before hockey and baseball games when we’re playing a Canadian team.

I just want to see some good baseball! Screw all the politics!!

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just want to see some good baseball! Screw all the politics!!

:FlagAm:

35 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

The way it's been interrupted, you might be seeing baseball, but it may not be exactly good:rolleyes::blink::blush:

Practice makes perfect. ;)

41 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Now that MLB and NASCAR have crapped on their country and fans that only leaves the NHL to support 

The Indians and Royals did not kneel during the anthem. Not all teams and not all players kneel!

Good for the Indians, and the Royals. 

Makes you wonder, though....how long will the Indians retain that name.  It's bound to offend somebody, somewhere, somehow. 

Also makes you wonder about the name "Royals".  Someone could take offense to that one. 

For crying in a bucket!!!

Our high school football team is called the Indians.  Not too long ago, there was talk about changing the name.  That idea went over like a lead zeppelin.

Have not heard any more about it, since...but...you never know, now days. 

There is one high school football team, out west, called: "The Artists".  I honestly do not know how to react to that one.  All I can say is, they better have some big, tough, players. 

Sports are political now. Wishing it ain't so won't make it not. It is all part of the radical left birthed in academia and universities. I remember years ago seeing some old tv show or movie I can't recall what it was now. I remember though I was struck by a bit of dialogue where the "good guy" was saying to the "terrorist" something to the effect that "but those people are innocent." I remember the terrorist saying "no one is innocent." 

Essentially everything is political now, no thing and no one is innocent - pancake syrup, cars, sports, clothes, food, movies, books, religion or faith, ad infinitum. That is the power of the left they have used language and post modernism to make everything good or bad, virtuous or nonvirtuous, everything is now a political or moral statement. No more is a car just fun or practical or transportation. No longer are sports just fun or entertainment. Everything must be evaluated and judged through the lens of post modernism, the patriarchy, critical race theory, social justice, and marxism.

That's what all this social chaos is about, it's a movement to reorder social beliefs and priorities, to rewrite history, to rewrite the idea of rights (group rights no individual rights), and reorganize society, life, and government around a social justice model. 

It's a power grab for the elites (the political elite, government agencies, global corporations, media, big tech, and academia) to rule the unwashed and force them to believe what they "should believe" and to force them to live their lives as the "should live their lives." It is deeply anti-freedom and deeply anti-american. 

16 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

The way it's been interrupted, you might be seeing baseball, but it may not be exactly good:rolleyes::blink::blush:

I disagree, the players are in a shortened season and they're playing harder than ever from the looks of the two games I've seen. Shane Bieber of the Indians, set a new strikeout record for an opening day game, 14. Remember each game is like a 2 1/2 game series! There's some good baseball out here!

PLAY BALL

If I tried to make political statements at my job I'd get fired.

If I took a knee in protest at the US flag protesting something totally unrelated to my job at my job before starting my job I have no doubt I would get fired. And rightfully so.

Politics and jobs don't mix well. Unless your job IS politics.

There is a right way and a wrong way to go about this stuff. Looks like the Indians might have figured this out.

33 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

If I tried to make political statements at my job I'd get fired.

If I took a knee in protest at the US flag protesting something totally unrelated to my job at my job before starting my job I have no doubt I would get fired. And rightfully so.

Politics and jobs don't mix well. Unless your job IS politics.

There is a right way and a wrong way to go about this stuff. Looks like the Indians might have figured this out.

Agreed, I'm self employed and I make it a practice not to talk politics or religion with customers otherwise I would lose at least half of them or more!:o

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The Indians and Royals did not kneel during the anthem. Not all teams and not all players kneel!

I don’t care if they stood on their freakin heads they still gave into BLM and brought their politics and hatred into the game.

BLM stands for nothing less than Burn, loot and murder

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I don’t care if they stood on their freakin heads they still gave into BLM and brought their politics and hatred into the game.

BLM stands for nothing less than Burn, loot and murder

I agree to a certain point but I will still watch.I won’t deprive myself of a good baseball game. I’ve been a fan since 1955. If I boycott I’m only hurting myself. I’m a baseball fan!!

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree to a certain point but I will still watch.I won’t deprive myself of a good baseball game. I’ve been a fan since 1955. If I boycott I’m only hurting myself. I’m a baseball fan!!

Rye, I'm also a baseball fan.  But my friend, on the taking a knee during the National Anthem and the raising of the Flag, I most respectfully disagree with your view that you are only hurting yourself.

:FlagAm:

Archived