SASS Wire Forum

What's with the container shapes?

I know manufacturers try to get the most from their consumers when it comes to buying their products. 

But the consumer actually gets less product based on the way it's packaged!

Case in point:

APPLESAUCE. 

I found that every brand of applesauce in the store was packaged the same way. 

A plastic jar that has "ribs" all along the sides,  with an inverted bottom which pushes up into the jar,  and topped off with a mouth that is almost half the diameter of the jar itself. 

This leads to the applesauce hiding in all these crevices and almost impossible,  without extra effort,  to get out of the jar. 

Then they cover it up with a label that hides these areas.

This is not the only product that has these features,  but just wanted to vent about it. 

Thank you for indulging me in this rant.

20200603_210711.thumb.jpg.726c4521e3ee521e5dba1a0a1269232f.jpg20200603_210717.thumb.jpg.5770e741d7226fa8e4524b7e3d750e41.jpg

I went through a new employee's course at Caterpillar in East Peoria.  One of the other new hires was a packaging engineer, had a Master's Degree (see my other post on this) and he wasn't very well versed in human anatomy.  I'm also positive he had never seen a human hand.  I was awake many nights trying to figure out how he managed to dress himself.

I'm relatively certain he's has designed a lot packaging for stuff that I've owned since then and fought to even open the container..

Wine vintners have used a false bottom for years.  Maybe they  sold snake oil in another life. 

My problem is with the guys that use some kind of industrictable material to bubble wrap their product. 

Some times my old squirrel skinner won't even open the package. *(&^%$$v it. 

18 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

At the bank?  :)

Just about every bottle and jar, and every aluminum beverage can,  has at least a small concavity.  Centuries ago vintners discovered that a deep punt helped keep their bottles from breaking,  especially for sparkling wines.

12 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

It's probably just like squeeze mayo containers. If you waste 25% cuz you can't get it out you have to buy more sooner. Marketing.

JHC

AKA......

shampoo, rinse, and repeat.

Your dog should be able to lick a peanut butter jar clean!  So, every peanut butter jar should have a broad mouth, a relatively shallow depth, and just enough nooks and crannies to be interesting for a while.

18 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Moonshine?   Preserved corn.

Easier to ship, store, or sell moonshine by the jug than corn by the bushel.

Where do you think beer came from?  The Mesopotamians came to the same conclusion with wheat.

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Not just applesauce!

Mustard!  34 grams of mustard remained in this bottle!  More than an ounce!  The content of the full bottle is 340 grams, so that’s 10% of product discarded.

and don’t get me started about peanut butter!

B28319AD-0457-4EE0-9F10-E93C214554B6.jpeg

Add 4 TBS of lime juice, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar,  1/2,  cup olive oil, a little garlic paste, some lemon thyme, salt and pepper to taste.   Shake well.  Makes a great salad dressing. 

Archived