SASS Wire Forum

Time for an Amendment?

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've often wondered lately if the 22nd Amendment should be expanded to include spouses. In 1947, when it was passed, it was ridiculous to think a woman would ever be President, but today we know it is an eventual inevitability. Whoever Joe Biden picks as a running mate will be the President in short order if he's elected. If he were to choose Michelle Obama, Barack will effectively be the President again for another four years... or eight...

Worked for George Wallace and Miss Lurleen in Alabama.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'd be in favor of removing pensions, healthcare, and air conditioning for congress. 

They stink up the place already!!  Leave the A/C on and send ‘em to Death Valley!!!  If they can get something worthwhile accomplished, they can leave until the next session. If not, no water and they can eat scorpions!!

On 7/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:
  • No older than 70 years of age;

Which would guarantee what?  I've known 40 year olds as dull as a bowling ball and 80 year olds sharp  as a straight razor.

• Must provide a physicians report of mental capacity and physical health status and pass both;

Doesn't mean a thing.  FDR couldn't have passed a physical.  Also the tests, while maybe indicative, don't show what may be the case 5 minutes later.

• Served in the military;

Grant was a military man, so was Carter. 
  • Attended a College or University and received a degree;

Truman didn't have a degree.  Neither did Monroe, Lincoln, or Washington

• Held a professional job as a career;

Like Zuckerman?  Or maybe Soros?  How about Bezos?

• Served in a governing position such as City Council, Mayor, Governor, etc.;
  • Member of the Senate, Congress, Court System, etc.

While it may be an indication that they can work within the system, it is more likely that it is an indication that they know how to work the system.  Look at the California Contingent - Pelosi, DiFi, and Harris.  They all fit the last two. As well as having college degrees.  Heck, look at my Congressman - Mike Thompson, D-CA 5th. "Thompson was born in St. Helena, California, the son of Beverly Ann (née Forni) and Charles Edward Thompson. His father was of English ancestry and his mother was of Italian and Swiss descent.[5] He was educated at California State University, Chico, served in Vietnam with the United States Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade,[6] was a vineyard owner and maintenance supervisor, taught Public Administration and State Government at San Francisco State University and California State University, Chico, and was a member of the California State Senate before entering the House.[3]

His degree is in Public Administration.  Fits your list to a T.  Calls himself a "Blue Dog Democrat."  But he toes the hard left Pelosi line on almost everything.

There is NOTHING to prepare a person to be POTUS.  Baptism by total immersion.  Every year, every month, every week, every day is different.  
Our system has served us fairly well for close to a quarter of a millennium , I see no reason to change the qualifications for our chief executive.

One change I would like to see in the federal government is in the House of Representatives.  As you all know the House gets to set its own operating rules, including the number of members of the House.  In 1911 they set that number at 435.  When that number was proposed we had 45 states and our population was just short of 94,000,000.  Since then we have added five states and our population has increased to almost 330,000,000 (3.5 times as many as in 1911).  I wouldn't mind seeing the membership of the House quadrupled.  That would cut down on the power of the individual members, dilute the ability of lobbyists to buy influence, and give 3rd and 4th party candidates a better chance of getting into office.  

It also wouldn't hurt to change where our nation does its business.  Maybe back in the late 1700s a city in Maryland made some sense.  But now we span a continent.  We have splendid communications.  There is no reason to keep it tucked into a city in the NE section of our republic.  Sure, keep the White House there, and the Supreme Court.  Move Congress and various agencies to nearer the geographic center of our nation.

Then, instead of a per diem for the members of the federal legislature, build barracks or dorms, about like you would find on a military base or decent college.  Have common dining facilities.  All free of charge.  Or they can dig into their pockets and pay for their own room and board elsewhere.  

I say NO to an amendment for someone to run for office.

I might support some legislature that requires a voter to pass a simple test to verify basic knowledge of government and such.

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I might support some legislature that requires a voter to pass a simple test to verify basic knowledge of government and such.

Sort of like the things the antis advocate for gun ownership.

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I say NO to an amendment for someone to run for office.

And establish that the voter is a legal citizen!!

Archived