SASS Wire Forum

Over/under review

Trigger Mike

my 15 year old kept insisting he wanted a hatfield for the school shotgun team.   He has now been to 4 practices.   This week it was not just the rookies but the entire varsity team. 

His hatfield has never failed to fire and is getting easier to open for reloading.   The barrel gets hot quick.  It kicks like a rented mule on his shoulder and cheek.  It kicks so much the coach told me that he is going to be really good but we need to get him something that doesn't beat him up so bad.  

A veteran shooter was there with a beretta with adjustable cheek rest.  He let my son try it and my son said it feels like a 22 the recoil is so light.  

After all that he still likes his hatfield.   If we got a cheek rest and butt pad would it help enough to notice?  

A good recoil pad will help. Doesn't his SG have one?

It's also about the shape of the buttstock. 

Lay that Beretta down and draw an outline of the stock.

Now, do the same with you son's SG.

Which SG weighs more?

OLG 

I found that a thick sorbathane pad, or one like it, does wonders to tame recoil. 

Also, make sure the length of pull fits him. With his finger on the trigger, the recoil pad should fit comfortably in the crook of his elbow. Too long or short and it will get uncomfortable fast. 

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No,  it's about the shape of the buttstock. 

Lay that Beretta down and draw an outline of the stock.

Now, do the same with you son's SG.

Which SG weighs more?

OLG 

This could be true, but there are things that can be done without making wholesale and expensive changes. My first question is whether the Hatfield has a recoil pad at all? The ones I've seen pictures of appear to a have a solid rubber pad. The guns I've shot with them leave much to be desired. If this is the case, then yes, a recoil pad makes a huge difference, and needs to be added sooner rather than later. I have a Kick Eez on my coach gun, and I plan on putting either that or a Limbsaver on my Winchester 101, which has a hard rubber pad.

As for the cheek rest it could be of help, and is worth looking into as well. As Charlie mentioned, pay attention to length of pull. The coach will hopefully have some insight into this, or know of someone who does.

That's a real can of worms right there..so many things can affect recoil ..as already mentioned a good recoil pad is  needed as well as checking LOP, is there cast in  the stock [ either  cast on or cast off ], drop at the heel, is the center of balance right, what loads are being used, positioning of the cheek on the stock, & most importantly a good quality shotgun sure helps..that's just  a few .

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

If we got a cheek rest and butt pad would it help enough to notice?  

It might and it's certainly a cheaper alternative to buying another shotgun.  

You can try a slip on pad, that may also help lengthen the pull if that's an issue.  I recently acquired a 16g SxS that weighs 5 lbs 10 oz and a 1oz load at 1200 fps was uncomfortable for me and I'm not a small person.  Using a Gamekeeper slip on recoil pad diminished the recoil significantly (even with the recoil pad the gun only weighs maybe 6 pounds at most) and lengthened the pull about an inch making the gun fit me much better.

Shotgun Fit is becoming a lost art , this is something I have really noticed in this game ....

I have seen more and more poorly fitted shotguns in cowboy shooting than in any other shooting sport ...

While Cast off or Straight or Cast on make a difference the biggest mistake I have seen is the angle of the buttstock in relation to the bore ...

Commonly called Pitch the right Pitch can make a World of difference in felt Recoil especially getting smacked on the cheek bone ....

While I can shoot guns that recoil more than others like I DO NOT like guns that wack me on the cheek bone ...

Gun fitting is best done in person and Certainly not over the net , Fitting is DIFFERENT for Males and those of the fairer sex...

But Get a Good recoil Pad !!! 

Jabez Cowboy

Archived