SASS Wire Forum

Rebel Without A Cause

J-BAR #18287

I had never seen this movie.  I have heard about it since it hit the theaters in 1955; what a classic it was, what a great performance by James Dean.  So I recorded it a few days ago when it came on Turner Classic Movies and watched it while I rode my exercise bike.

Extremely disappointing, trash, waste of time, pick your description.  If you liked it, great, not wanting an argument.  Just wondering if you have had a similar disappointment with another “classic” movie?

Any Orson Wells movie.

He had a fantastic voice. Love listening to him on the War of the Worlds.

But his movies - Third Man, Kane, Ambersons - terrible.

I would say you need to consider context when it comes to Rebel Without a Cause. It was released just after James Dean's death and has become iconic for that reason, if for no other. While I never particularly cared for the movie, it did highlight his potential as an actor, along with that of a young Natalie Wood.

I will admit I never enjoyed Citizen Kane. I understand why it is supposed to be "great cinema" but I struggled to watch it.

54 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I would say you need to consider context when it comes to Rebel Without a Cause. It was released just after James Dean's death and has become iconic for that reason, if for no other. While I never particularly cared for the movie, it did highlight his potential as an actor, along with that of a young Natalie Wood.

I will admit I never enjoyed Citizen Kane. I understand why it is supposed to be "great cinema" but I struggled to watch it.

Agree on Rebel. Not a particularly memorable film. Kind of formulaic for the time period. And it gets no better with age. Citizen Kane was too much for me. Much like trying to read another “masterpiece”, Great Expectations, in 8th grade. :unsure:

I recently re-watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and overall found it boring and I'm a big science fiction fan.  

Rebel Without a Cause
The Third Man was a very good Film Noir movie. The problem that most people can’t abide is the overly intrusive Zither music which would maybe be okay in the background if the volume was much lower.
Orson Wells was definitely one of a kind. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes excruciatingly way over the top.

2 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I recently re-watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and overall found it boring and I'm a big science fiction fan.  

Another film that was groundbreaking in it’s time, mostly for special effects. Stoners seemed to like it. ;)

I found it interesting until it got so far out weirdly philosophical. 

You know the Bonk noise the computer makes when you try to do something wrong?  A friend of mine had a brother named Dave who reprogrammed his computer so instead of the Bonk, it said in HAL’s voice...

”I’m sorry, Dave. I can’t do that”
:lol:

Citizen Cane is a great movie............to fall asleep to!!:lol:

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Another film that was groundbreaking in it’s time, mostly for special effects. Stoners seemed to like it. ;)

You know the Bonk noise the computer makes when you try to do something wrong?  A friend of mine had a brother named Dave who reprogrammed his computer so instead of the Bonk, it said in HAL’s voice...

I was in college when 2001 came out. I biked to the drive-in and saw it from against the fence. I remember how long it took the ship to cross the screen.

But, I read the book first, and it explained a whole lot of stuff that you couldn't get from the monkey's facial expressions. It explained the obelisk, and lots of other details. It helped make sense of the movie.

And I like your friend's computer work!

2001 Space Odyssey, the only good thing was the music! Otherwise it was sooooo boring! 

2010 was better than 2001, one of the rare instances where the sequel is better than the original.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Extremely disappointing, trash, waste of time, pick your description.  If you liked it, great, not wanting an argument.  Just wondering if you have had a similar disappointment with another “classic” movie?

Agree 100%. James  Dean was  a poor actor and that whiney pouty look just makes me  want to slap him, even though I know  that impossible. Never understood the hype.

Classic Movies  that I didn't or don't like...

Gone  With the Wind - Yawn

Once Upon a Time in the West - Yuck

West Side Story

Dog Day Afternoon

I didn’t like the movies I watched with James Dean as actor.  I found him whiny, effeminate,  and his acting unconvincing and underwhelming.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Agree 100%. James  Dean was  a poor actor and that whiney pouty look just makes me  want to slap him, even though I know  that impossible. Never understood the hype.

Classic Movies  that I didn't or don't like...

Gone  With the Wind - Yawn

Once Upon a Time in the West - Yuck

West Side Story

Dog Day Afternoon

You are  not a teen age female, Pat. 

James Dean was a hormone actor. 

9 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

You are  not a teen age female, Pat. 

James Dean was a HORRIBLE actor. 

There...Fixed it for you. :D

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There...Fixed it for you. :D

He could have been classified as both Hormone/ Horrible. 

But, and there is always that ugly but, HE SOLD BOX OFFICE FOR THE STUDIO. 

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine rigged his computer to say, in Curly's voice from the Three Stooges:  "I'm tryin' ta think, but nothin' happens!"

Angus

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Starship Troopers

All iterations of Dune

Andromeda Strain

To some extent all movies based on Clancy novels.   Well,  if you read the book first. 

Well, Starship Troopers was a Heinlein novel well before Clancy’s time.

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Starship Troopers

All iterations of Dune

Andromeda Strain

To some extent all movies based on Clancy novels.   Well,  if you read the book first. 

my wife agrees with you on ST

to me it's THE BUG MOVIE!  Love it cause it's so bad

16 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

my wife agrees with you on ST

to me it's THE BUG MOVIE!  Love it cause it's so bad

To me, since I really like the book,  it is so bad it's painful.   Beyond Plan 9 camp bad.

Same for the Dune movies.

And the John Carter/ Princess of Mars films.

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

To me, since I really like the book,  it is so bad it's painful.   Beyond Plan 9 camp bad.

Agree.  Heinlein’s book was great, very different from the movie.

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No!  No!!

John Carter made Dejah Thoris come alive!!!  That buxom queen of sci fi books that I dreamed about in 7th grade!!  And there she was on screen, with minimalist clothing, tattoos, and eyes made for love!  Please don't put her in the same group as Dune and the Bug Movie!!!

By the way - in the most recent Bosch series, the homicidal wife is played by Lynn Collins, aka Dejah Thoris.

LL

I prefer Giant, by far and wide.  RWOAC is one of those teenage movies full of silly melodrama.

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Agree.  Heinlein’s book was great, very different from the movie.

Paul Veerhoven never even read the book!  

Maybe if he had he'd have understood what was wrong with his movie! Basicaly everything!!

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That buxom queen of sci fi books that I dreamed about in 7th grade!!

Dreamed? Or fantasized? ;)

Yeah.   Especially some of the 1930s artwork. :wub:

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, Starship Troopers was a Heinlein novel well before Clancy’s time.

The movie Starship Troopers was so different from the book that there must have been a major earth quake from Heinlein rolling in his grave.

Duffield

15 hours ago, Chantry said:

This movie really requires a big screen,  No, not a75" screen, more like the side of the house.  I first saw it in 1969 when it first came out on a huge curved screen and the visuals were beyond spectacular (and I wasn't stoned or anything).  On small screen I can understand how folks think it is nothing special.

Archived