SASS Wire Forum

SAA trigger pull

gsp7

Light weight not as important as crisp clean break.   Too light causes opps sometimes.       GW

I don't want to hijack the thread but I do have a question with trigger pull.  How can you change it?  Hammer pull is easy but I've never heard about someone changing the trigger pull.  I imagine it can be done but how?

46 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Trigger spring.

kR

Changing the main spring also affects trigger pull.  Lighter main spring equals lighter trigger pull, and vice versa.

Full cock notch is the most important. It depends on if it presents a positive, neutral or negative engagement. You can work a sear any way you want and a negative engagement will always be negative. That =  possible/probable ad, is very dangerous and only gets worse .  .  .    lighter mainsprings / trigger springs only magnify the problem! Be careful .  .  .

Mike

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

To lighten trigger pull, the angle of the sear has to be modified.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sear_(firearm)

"has to" is not correct.  That is one way to do it (and MAY be the only way, depending on the angles and wear), but as mentioned, lighter springs also lighten the trigger pull.

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Changing the main spring also affects trigger pull.  Lighter main spring equals lighter trigger pull, and vice versa.

Get your MS where you want it then get your TS where you want it.

kR

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Shooting Dullest I have went back to factory trigger springs. Have fewer issues with the hammer dropping before I am ready. 

Same when I started gunfighter. Did not change sear angle. So far I have changed the springs on three sets of revolvers.

kR

Here's where this sport ruins movies and TV.

In an episode of Have Gun, Will Travel (excellent show), Paladin describes his custom pistols as having rifled barrels (Duh!) with 1 ounce triggers. MY Word! Don't sneeze or you'll shoot your toe off!

On 7/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, gsp7 said:

How light is you trigger pull in lbs. or ounces on your slicked up Uberti cattleman or what ever you got ?

B)

How light the hammer and trigger are set should be dependant on the individual shooter and your shooting style.  There is no magic number.  It is a matter of training and practice to find what is best for you.  Shooting with a two-handed grip vs. a one handed grip, slip hammering vs. triggering each shot, riding the trigger vs. full let-off after each shot, jerking the trigger vs. a disciplined technique honed over continued practice... 

Start with an inexpensive Wolff Spring Kit, (or whatever brand you prefer), and see how it works for you.  Don't start changing sear engagement unless you really are familiar with working on these.  You can always put the stock spring back.  Short-stroked Ubertis like the "Taylor-tuned" models use a factory mainspring, in order to reliably fire different brands of primers.   

I made the mistake early on of setting my triggers too light, resulting in firing the revolver sooner than I was "on target".  Years later now, I am most comfortable with the triggers set with a clean break, (minimal or no creep), at approx. 2 lbs.   I don't set up the triggers myself, properly done, it's more than just springs.  So, I've had gunsmiths like Mike Brackett and Three Cut do them for me.

Archived