SASS Wire Forum

Broken guns - CZ SxS and an older Uberti 73

Finally got to look at the backup CZ Amarillo that let me down at Winter Range, I had cleaned it and put away until the Covids left.  Firing pin appears to be broken. Never had a problem with my primary.  Who is working on these now?

The 1873 had an interesting malfunction last weekend starting with a BP round exploding out of the chamber during a bobbled levering.  The case was wedged in the carrier when it detonated.   

Upon taking the gun down the firing pin was stuck out and would not retract initially and the extractor was broken.  No injury other than to skivvies.   Rifle was made in 1986 and the breech block does not look like the one in my newer 1866.  The firing pin is now free but it does not fall out of the breech block.  Can't get the firing pin out.   Almost looks like the firing pin assembly was pressed into the breech.   Also no retaining pin visible for the extractor.

CP

6 minutes ago, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

Finally got to look at the backup CZ Amarillo that let me down at Winter Range, I had cleaned it and put away until the Covids left.  Firing pin appears to be broken. Never had a problem with my primary.  Who is working on these now?

I would contact CZ, I've heard that that they have pretty good customer service

Sounds like the 73 has bent it's firing pin.   Blowing the extractor pin out is pretty rare.   I'd check lever shape is still true, and carrier lifter arm, and even the carrier.  Tapping a punch in through the firing pin hole (carefully) probably will dislodge the pin.  Get on hand a new extractor, extractor pin (or soft wire), possibly the small pin at rear of bolt that pins the firing pin extension into back of bolt.  Obviously a new firing pin and spring.

Just a reminder to everyone - NEVER force a toggle action.  If it's not closing with normal force, it rarely will close with even more force.  

Good luck, GJ

GJ,

I did as suggested and the firing pin came out.  The rear of the firing pin had some burrs on it that possibly was causing the pin to stick.  Front of firing pin was straight.

I will inspect all the parts for any bends.

I agree about forcing the lever not being good.  I didn't force it, I bobbled the lever and I may have had the case extracting when I tried closing the lever.  That trying to go fast does have a downside.

Probably broke the extractor from fatigue, I put almost 9000 rounds through it.  Who knows what the previous owners shot through it.  The base of the blown case was intact.

This breech block does not have an extractor pin.  It looks like a press fit.  I have an email to VTI to see if a new breech block assembly will fit.

17 hours ago, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

This breech block does not have an extractor pin.  It looks like a press fit. 

That would be REALLY unusual, and something NOT shown on any Uberti exploded parts diagram.  The bolts are polished and blued AFTER the factory installs the extractor and the pin.  So, the pin sometimes is not easily found.   I'll bet when you pull the extractor you find the pin was there, just polished into the surface of the bolt.   

Good luck, GJ

Piano wire works very well. 

In my experience, rebar tie wire works very well, too.  It's in all 5 of my 73s right now.   Has never failed, and some have 8 years of hard SASS and WB use.

An extractor in the 73 HAS to be fit so that the tail provides the right amount of tension.   Failure to fit the extractor makes for high tension and a hard to install pin.   It's not always the strength/weakness of the pin.

Good luck, GJ

After looking at the breech block with a magnifier I finally saw the pin.  It was blended into the block very well. Learned something new.

It was bigger than I thought.  Will try to get it loose tomorrow.  

7 hours ago, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

After looking at the breech block with a magnifier I finally saw the pin.  It was blended into the block very well. Learned something new.

It was bigger than I thought.  Will try to get it loose tomorrow.  

Heat and a punch should remove it, then replace with piano wire

Archived