SASS Wire Forum

What's the difference..... ?

1.   The cops pull over a suspected drunk driver.   The Driver has a suspended drivers license.

BUT, the driver also owns a reputable business selling household furniture and TV systems.

The driver tells the cop that if he can disregard the drunk driver charge, he will help the officer(s) get

a new TV..... for free.

He's charged with bribery.

2.   A known gang member is charged with possessing stolen TV's and other good stuff.

The DA makes a deal with the gang member to lessen (or drop) some charges if the gang member

cooperates (snitches) with the DA's office.

Wouldn't BOTH of these be considered a Bribe?

In both examples, something is being offered to lessen the charges.

The refusal for both would warrant the bad guy going to jail.

The acceptance of both would warrant a less penalty for the bad guy, with possible no jail time.

..........Widder

I just gotta agree with you Widder, remember real criminals are "Privileged".

different situations.  The personal bribe of the TV is a personal gain for the officer.  That is verboten.

The offer to become a snitch isn't a personal gain for the DA, it is service to "the greater good".  That is usually smiled upon.

Dont get me wrong, "the greater good" has been used as a reason to do horrible things... I am not a fan of the thought a bad guy can get off just for turning in another bad guy.  

It's not a personal gain for the DA?

I always understood that the more successful prosecutions the DA had, the better his chances of re-election, and the better his chances of getting elected to higher office.

Sounds like personal gain to me.

In the first one, the drunk made an offer to get the charges reduced. The drunk offered a bribe.

In the second one the criminal did not make the offer. The DA made the offer. That sounds to me like the DA solicited a bribe. "If you give me this (information on other criminals which will allow me to successfully prosecute them) then I will drop the charges against you." Why is that different than, "if you could give me a big screen plasma TV I will drop the charges against you"?

Soooooooooooooo, lets see if I got this right.

The 'accused' says to the LEO:   Let me make you a deal and you drop the charges.     (he just broke the law).

The DA says to the accused:    Let me make you a deal and I'll drop the charges.        (he is now working within the law).

Clear as mud to me..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Widder, just go to your local DQ and git yoreself a giant nanner split and eat it real fast.  The brain freeze will cure you of your mental dilemma! :o

Kajun

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

It's not a personal gain for the DA?

I always understood that the more successful prosecutions the DA had, the better his chances of re-election, and the better his chances of getting elected to higher office.

Not all District Attorneys are elected, I know in Connecticut it is an appointed position.  The only elected position in the Connecticut state legal system is the Attorney General.

Archived