SASS Wire Forum

Challenge coin

Noz

Someone (aVA DR.) gave me a challenge coin and  have no idea what to do with it.  It has the Wall on one side and a Veteran crest

on the other.

Coins have different meanings in different cultures.  They’re almost always associated with military units of some sort. Other government agencies, and a few civilian corporations, have also adopted them. 

Commanders’ coins are given as a tangible recognition of an achievement while assigned to the unit. 

A true challenge coin is presented when a person joins a unit, or passes a certain evaluation. The coin is expected to be kept with the person at all times. When someone else of the unit presents their coin as a challenge, the person must present their own. Otherwise, beers or pushups might be forthcoming. 

8 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Were you stationed at Whidbey, 3 foot?

I fell for the recruitment spiel and joined the Navy to see the world...

Boot camp in San Diego, schools in Millington and Moffet Field, main duty station NAS Whidbey. :(

At the end of my tour, the chief gave me the reenlistment talk, and I said, "Chief, I live barely 500 miles from here, less than the length of my state - I can go home and do this". 

My second son was stationed at Whidbey.  Air Traffic Control.  He loved it there, way better than Norfolk and deployment on the Truman, CVN75.

It was good duty, definitely, but not what I expected. On duty weekends, a lot of us didn't even wear a uniform to the shop - AIMD, 600 division, work center 653, Aviation Electrician's Mate. 

My home was BEQ 11, room 207. :D

It's really up to you, depending on the importance you give it. I received a few over the course of my career. One, Mrs. Doc had framed with my diploma to become a 91B (I received it because I was the honor grad). I have others in my box that I keep jewelry and a few other important odds and ends such as my fraternity pin, cuff links, a couple of rings. I don't have enough of them to make sense to get a display for them, so one day, when I finally getting around to doing a shadow box or something to display my medals, they'll will end up with them.

This reminds me of my father-in-law's "short snorter", a roll of paper currency taped together end to end, with his fellow flight crew members' signatures.  He was a navigator on a B-17 ferrying people and gear all around the world for 3 years during WWII.  His "short snorter" was 17 feet long when it was unrolled!  He rarely had to buy a drink anywhere in the world.

My brother in law has it framed unrolled in his living room.

I only have one. 1968. The group commander, Col. Greene designed it. I think we were the first or one of the first units to have one. They weren’t given out as attaboy then we had to buy em. I think they were 6 bucks. You definitely had to have it in your possession when you went to the bar. 

It’s a bit worn and weathered.

Like me.

;)

157043CA-C0F9-48A1-A663-4A87073C0F47.jpeg

AE6B2315-82F0-41F0-8868-2D5978D3E92E.jpeg

I have a bunch.  They are desk chachka.

23 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

But do you have a SASS coin?

Best

CR

Mine is in my golf bag; a spare ball marker.  

:)

Here are a couple of mine

SECDEF.thumb.jpg.c583a53fb07f95b94d1894a88ac46402.jpgSECDEF2.thumb.jpg.5d5cb2a78af1d95595595e0d5f20464d.jpg

CNO.thumb.jpg.801e4d7e798c9cd3cfd5940e37b3e45f.jpgCNO2.thumb.jpg.1adf2147bb451468eb191ffcad04e106.jpg

IRONSIDES.thumb.jpg.1c54dd4fc33235fe5299a88052f8ea49.jpgIRONSIDES2.thumb.jpg.e7777b53a9641d640bc2b9b1a3cf5a02.jpg

Even one from the Air Force

AF1.thumb.jpg.d78f8071a60528eaede02d74739033e2.jpgAF2.thumb.jpg.459f462b2fbedadb35bc1ef34a2386bc.jpg

Other than sentimental value and the memories tied to them they have no real value to anyone else.

They sure make em fancy these days!

I wonder does the fact that the Doctor who gave me the coin was a proctologist have any significance?

1 hour ago, Noz said:

I wonder does the fact that the Doctor who gave me the coin was a proctologist have any significance?

No, you don’t need to stow it there...:P

I first heard about “Challenge Coins” in the Navy. An obnoxious sailor from another ship I met on liberty in the Virgin Islands came up to me and asked me where my “coin” was. I flipped him a quarter and he and his shipmates all laughed and produced challenge coins with their ship’s emblem on them then proceeded to tell me and my shipmates we needed to buy them drinks as we didn’t have coins. 
Let’s just say colorful words were spoken and instructions were given regarding where these gents could shove their challenge coins. It all ended with everyone but me drinking together. Those guys were (butt)holes. 

The next time I saw one was in Athens Greece. I met a SEAL who was shipping out the next day. His enlistment was up and he was out in the town living it up. That was the last time I ever drank Ouzo. :blink:

The only true Challenge Coins I have are ones that I got from a good Pard here in the Saloon, he sent me a USMC coin :) :FlagAm: and one that I bought when I took a turnaround cruise on the USS Constitution last year on July 4th. 

Archived